Hydrangea from seed?

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Looking thru my seed box I noticed that I have some seeds for Oakleaf Hydrangea, and I wondered if anyone else had ever tried growing them from seed?
Any luck at it?
Any planting info would be great!
TIA

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

I tried, the seedlings were tiny...did not survive the summer. Wishing you better luck! Maybe someone has cuttings? John

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks John, Since I am soo tight for space I didn't want to waist my it with seeds that wouldn't make decent plants, know what I mean? I have regular Hydrangea's that are still kinda small from cuttings last year, guess I will just hold off on those seeds til later.
Thanks again!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7b)

Molly,
I took some cuttings last fall and put them in a pot to root. Some of them have new leaves opening up, now I don't know if that means they are rooted or not but you can always come and get one of mine if they are. I don't want to unpot them until a little later 'just in case' but I figure that maybe with them putting out new leaves they might have rooted this time.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Jackie
That does sound like they have rooted!! What luck you have!! You are so sweet to offer me a rooted cutting, but the only way I will take one is if you have more than one and you have plenty for yourself too! Deal?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.