Night blooming cerus propagation

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Bruce, Thanks for the offer, but I have 2 very large Epiphyllum Oxypetalum... the one with the wide flat leaves and white blooms. Here's a series of photos of a bloom in process. http://davesgarden.com/t/395377/

I just posted the red bloom photo because I don't know if it could be an Epiphyllum also, but with a different leaf shape.

Jenks, do you think the red one will propagate as easily as the Epi Oxypetalum? I wish I had more info. and surely you may have a cutting as soon as I can figure how best to do it.

Here's a link on Epi's: http://www.missouri.edu/~extgrice/nbc/

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Darius,
I think I would start a cutting of that red beauty just like any cactus,let it lay somewhere for 1 to 2 weeks to get a good callus on the cut so it will not rot when you plant it =)

scooter, I do think I will try to propagate a couple. It needs to come in from the yard now anyway. It is my only 'cactus' kind of plant (besides the Epi Oxipetalum) and I rescued it from a Yard Sale for 50¢.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Wow darius, quite the find!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

The one I have is called a Selenicereus-Macdonaldiae,from Argentina. Does anyone know anything about this one? It is known as a night bloomer. The person who sent me the cuttings said:

It has 6-8 angeled stems with tiny spines,and alot of arial roots, with them it clings to a tree or whatever
it is clinging to.

I saw a picture and it is white.

Here's a new bloom starting on my epi... will be a red bloom.

Thumbnail by darius

And here's the whole plant:

Thumbnail by darius

Oh Darius,
...... that is gonna be so pretty, we are all waiting for a picture of it when I blooms =)
Is this your 'bargain' find?
§

Yep, scooter, that's it!

Oh wow! I can't wait to see it!!!!!!!

It's still growing! This photo is 5 days after the one posted above.

Thumbnail by darius
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Cool. Can't wait to see it open.

Me neither!

Does anyone know if this one opens at night? I think it looks a tiny bit more open now than earlier today when I took the photo. Don't want to miss it, LOL!

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Darius,
I got 2 cuttings from the GARU and I think it was at your table, if not tell me so, but what my question is, if it did come from you, would it be the red one? It's a large cutting leaf and it wasnt marked.

I hope it is. I would really love a red one. These are gorgeous plants.

I have the Queen of the Night epi. that blooms the big huge flower at night then by the next day around 10ish, it's spent.

Annabellegabby, I didn't have a table at the GARU, nor any epi cuttings. I do remember seeing them, though... down near the lake where Janet was (left of the pavillion), but I don't think they were hers either.

The first red bloom (pictured way above) appeared on this plant summer of 2002, already in full bloom (and declining) before I even noticed it had a bloom, so I don't know if it blooms at night like Queen of the Night. This time, I'm keeping a close eye on the bloom.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Hmmmm it had to be either JT, she was to the right of jcf though. Oh well, I'll be pleasantly surprised too when and if it ever happens. If it needs to be rootbound, then I have a ways to go.

Thanks haighr...:-)

Annabellegabby: haighr? Haighr hasn't posted anything on this thread... LOL.
The epi cuttings you got at the GARU were from brucedean.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

LOLOL omgosh, I am losing it darius, I meant you not haighr...Im not thinking straight, too much on the plate at this time. Sorry lol

Oh it was brucedean! great ty so much for your help. Do you know for sure they were epi species? That's what I was going to ask if I found out who they came from. They werent marked as I stated before.

Brucedean where are you????

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi did'nt get any Epi cuttings from me.The only ones I saw there were Epi Oxypetelum ,they are white. Got the English iris from me .

Darius, seedrack has seeds for your cactus and a short description of what it is . Sheesch....a cactus called an 'epi' that is not and 'epi' because it is not related to the orchid but is referred to an an 'orchid cactus....Ahrrgh!
http://www.seedrack.com
look almost halfway down in their backorder page.
shirley
§

This message was edited Nov 17, 2003 5:28 PM

Thumbnail by scooterbug

ROTFLOL scoot!

scooterbug... I don't think that's the one I have. Mine is pretty much red rather than that kinda hot pink.

You are right about the confusion, though. Epi's that are not epi's, orchid cactus that's neither!

It bloomed! Must have been during the night because it was still a bud when I went to sleep around midnight, and fully open this morning when I awoke. It was the first thing I saw this morning!!

Thumbnail by darius

Here's the size.

Thumbnail by darius
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Looks great. I have one that is peach color and am still waiting for that first bud to appear.

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh how beautiful Darius, you must be elated *sigh*

WOW! That is gorgeous!

I probably will offer cuttings of this Epi most likely in spring when the temps. are better for mailing.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

WOW, that's a beauty. I got a cutting from GARU and I'm sure it was from Azalea. (I think, I don't have my notes with me).

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Darius, I have one with a triangular stem, but the stems are so much larger than the one in your picture. My bosses' Mom died and they didn't know what to do with all her cacti. This Hylocereus Undatus ( did I spell that right?). I went to a St. Louis area cacti and succulent club show and sale at the St. Louis Botanical Gardens. One of the Cactus shown was this Hylocereus Undatus. I didn't have anything to write the name down, so kept repeating it in my head so I wouldn't forget. A great plant. Loved seeing what the bloom might look like.
Anyone else have the epiphyllums ric rac and/or fishbone? The latin names for these two are always debateable. I bought both of these at a farmer's market this summer. When I asked the lady if she knew their names, she just said they are cactus. I think she must have been selling them for someone else. She had mostly jewelry for sale.
thanks for posting all your pictures. I had no idea what the blooms would look like.

Kathy,
try the Cactus and Succulents Forum.
.....Here is another good place to start looking ,it has a few good links to check out also =)
http://www.epiuniverse.com

§

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey scooterbug, Thanks for the link. I have done some searches for epis on the Net , but hadn't seen that site. Even kinda addicted to looking at the variety of epis for sale on E-Bay. Haven't spent any money there though.
I am going to break down and buy one with a yellow or gold flower one of these days.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

I acquired this "Night blooming cerus" from a friend, however after looking at this link I am not sure what it should be called!!! Anyone help, I have searched those links above and still not honestly found what I think it should be!
Thanks much ~ Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy

That's a little different with the pink thingy(highly technical latin term) coming from the center. Neato!

hehehe! You gotta be kiddin' ???

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Goodness NO!~!! Honestly, that is exactly what it looks like! I really am stumped on this one! Gonna add to the ID forum as well, that thought just struck me LOL

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Laurrie, yours is the real deal.....I have tons of the stuff.

Neat-O !

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

moonlighting, you have extra of this plant? Thats an awesome flower...can we do atrade or postage?

Thx, Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.