Night blooming cerus propagation

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Has anyone propagated a night blooming Cerus plant from cuttings? My Mother-in-law brought me some cuttings from a friend of hers and niether of the two of them knew how to propagate (they will get to blame me) from these cuttings. Each one of the cuttings has what looks like a hollow stem and a least one leaf. Do I take the leaves off and propagate stems? or leaves? Bueller?

This message was edited Wednesday, Feb 5th 5:18 AM

OK, I just noticed that the leaves have leaves is this in the epiphylum? looks similar, but HUGE. Sections are at least a foot long. OK, I have to go to bed, try anyway. Very excited. I am really new at non vegetable gardening-started "collecting" as my hubby calls it about 2 years ago (when we bought our house) other things. NOW I am seriously excited as I did not know what it was she'd given me.....:D

So, it's the leaves, right?

This message was edited Wednesday, Feb 5th 5:19 AM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Mine came from a broken leaf portion someone gave me... I just stuck it in a pot (leaf about 2" deep in pot) and now it is huge, after 5 years.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I was given several foot long cuttings from a friend in my office. First, I dipped them slightly in a rooting hormone and then I rooted them in moistened Perlite. These rooted easily. From that point, I then put each one in individual peat pots with well amended soil. Several of them are now putting forth new growth and in the Spring, I probably will move them up to the next size pot. Good Luck!

Great, Thanks y'all~!
A great big HUG to each of you!

Harrisburg, NC(Zone 7a)

Jenks
Night Blooming Cereus, Hylocereus Undatus, will grow no matter what you do to it. Just stick the cuttings in soil and keep moist.
Very Easy! I cut mine back, tossed the cuttings in the compost and they grew, at least til the cold got them. To get them to bloom is sometimes another matter, it prefers to be pot bound,
won't bloom for me otherwise. I keep mine on a shady screened porch in summer, indoors in winter.
Try this for more info http://www.missouri.edu/~extgrice/nbc/

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

OK now I'm confused about what I have......

Harrisburg, NC(Zone 7a)

Crestedchik,
I know what you mean. There seems to be several plants that are very similar. I got mine as a small cutting, and didn't know its name. Took years to id it other than Night Blooming Cereus, no one seems to know much about these plants. I have had this one since 1989 and just found out a few years ago, at the same time that I found out that it is H. Undatus, that if you keep it pot bound it will be more likely to bloom. I used to keep it nicely potted up when it got to big for the pot. Now I don't. Mine has only bloomed twice. But well worth the wait. I stayed up most of the night to watch it bloom. Awesome!

I did notice that when I was searching on the internet that there was definitely at least two different looking plants commonly named the same thing! Mine is the Epiphyllum Oxypetalum. Thanks cnclady! great page!
Thanks everyone else too!

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

dont forget to let the cuts callous over before potting them up.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Mark sent me one last year and I was going to post let it callous over but he beat me to it. It did take a long time to root but now it has a lot of growth.

Thanks Mark, I did let them sit out to heal for a few days after I cut them. I do have a few other epis, recently acquired cuttings from epis too. Once they are rooted, how often do you fertilize them and with what? I have not fertilized the others before, but I haven't had them long either......

I dont use fertiliser on mine but put composted farm manure on the soil surface of each pot

My five year old Epiphyllum Oxypetalum didn't bloom until the third year that I had it. The fourth year it had two crops of blooms, five the first time and three about a month later. A friend of mine who grows plants commercially suggested that I fertilize it with Peters. I tried that this summer, beginning in Spring when I took it outdoors. ( I aways use rainwater)This summer it has had four crops. Three crops bloomed at night, this past week two buds flowered at 10 o'clock in the morning. Has anyone else had that happen? So far this year the plant has had a total of 12 blooms. I have never tried to propagate...always wanted to. Was thrilled to find this web site, look forward to learning from all of you. Sara

WOW! It grew like crazy all summer, but no blooms. I don't mind waiting I guess.....ha. It's about 3 feet (stretched out) does anyone trellis these? what do you do with the growth? I am kind of training it up a pole, but soon I must bring it in for winter......

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

This message was edited Oct 9, 2003 11:35 AM

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

When I had what I was told is a night blooming cereus I kept it in a large floor planter with a long slab of bark wood for it to grow on (with help). The lady that gave me the leaf said that it is a parasitic tree climber and this is the way to grow it.All I did was lay the long flat leaf on moist vermiculite and pin it down.
I kept it in the dining room and when it bloomed the whole house was fragranced.
This plant was lost to me when it stayed too long in a unheated house when we were moving =(
.cnclady...Thanks a bunch for the hyperlink.I have been looking for years but had the wrong spelling...now maybe I can have one of these again ;~D

This message was edited Oct 9, 2003 11:08 AM

A friend of mine has his trained up a trellis in a bright sunroom.

Crestedchick, is your the flat leafed one???

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Mine is in a hanging basket, but it has really outgrown it's home . It has 13 buds now, and should bloom in about 4-5 days. It had twice as many buds, but we had a violent storm while I was at round-up in KY., and it lost most of the buds.Last year it bloomed in July and August, and I didn't think it was going to make it this year. I have covered it up with blankets on the cold nights. I have a large plant , and Scooterbug, if you would like a cutting, I'd be glad to send you one. Let me Know. Lou

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

What are the numbers on the fertilizer? My Dad is
getting one of these and I would really like to see
it bloom for him.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I just used a bit of miracle grow on in it June because that is what I had on hand. I'm sure what the experts say is best. Lou

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I finally got a flat leafed one,after this post was started.The one someone else had sent me was round...she had told me it was a nite blooming cereus...

neither has bloomed so who knows what I have LOL

CC
Check out Jim Hunter's Epi Universe website. =) SB

I've seen Epiphyllums with all shapes of leaves - flat, round and triangular

Funny, the leaves I rooted were flat, but the new growth so far is round......it must flatten out as it grows larger (?)

Jenks,
....Your flat leaf grows on a round stem,if it's the one I'm thinking of?

Yes scooter round stems and flat leaves! (An impatient must've droped seeds there is a small impatient in there too)

Thumbnail by Jenks
Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi what you have is Epi. Oxpetelum also called Queen of the night. You would'nt know what color it is would you?

Nope, I sure don't. I will go look it up. Maybe I can get it to bloom this next year.

Mine (Epi. Oxpetelum) puts out both flat leaves and round stems. The blooms, though come from the flat leaves. I divided mine this past year, ot knowing they need to be pot-bound to bloom. Therefore, I have leaf cuttings from one if anyone is interested.

I also have a triangular-leafed one that blooms red.

I think that the misleading fact is that NBC is 'not a cereus' at all,but is Epiphyllum Oxypetalum.....
shirley >^,,^< SB

OOO Darius! Can I trouble you for the red one? :0D

Have any of you seen THIS one? Check it out! It has more than 25 blooms on it! http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/28747/
and Connie is SO nice. She said she puts 10-10-10 or less and 20-20-20 on hers.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2003 4:46 PM

Yup,she's a friend of mine and like you said a real sweetie ;-D

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi Darius, if you have enough could I get a cutting to. We met at the RU. if you remember.
Bruce

darius,
....They do bloom best when pot bound. They can be re-potted every three years or so.
......If you need to water to often because they start to dry out frequently causing leaf wilt then you can pot-up using same re-potting technique but in a 2" larger pot.
SB

Here's a photo of the red bloom. You can see part of the triangular plant, and I only think it's an epi... What do you think?

Thumbnail by darius

Darius,
.....The NBC referred to as 'Queen of the Night'
is not a cereus but an Epi that has flat wavey leaves.
You can find out a lot at 'Jim Hunters Epi Universe' site.

This is the flat leafed EPI.....Queen Of The Night... that is 'NOT' a cereus. This is what I have learned up to now.
shirley

This message was edited Oct 25, 2003 11:54 AM

Thumbnail by scooterbug

We sure could use some input from an orchid grower here =)

Darius,
I think it's gorgeous-and I do think it's an epi-but I am no expert for sure.

Jackson, GA(Zone 7a)

Hi dariusfrom what I can tell from your picture you do not have a Epi Oxpetelum. It looks like one of the orchid cactus but the latin name escapes me at the moment. I do have several rooted cuttings of the white Oxpetelum, I can seend you one if you like.

Bruce

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.