Growing Cacti from Seed??

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

I just received a seed packet of various different cacti (they are all mixed together so I'm not sure exactly what I've got) and I'm really excited to start growing them. I'm wondering what kind of soil mixture I should use? What kind of pot? How big of a pot? Do I start them in a small pot and transplant when they're bigger or do I just start them in a big pot and leave them be? How shallow or deep should the pot be? How much water? How much light? How do I start them (seeds on top, seeds 1/16" down)? I've never grown cacti before, so this is kind of new for me. Thanks for any help or advice you can give!

Valley Village, CA

I can only tell you how is done where I volunteer. We grow them in 4" container x 3.5 wide. We scatter them across cactus soil that has been compressed by another pot on top. We then scatter the seeds, about 50 seeds per pot. and lay down a very fine layer of white coarse sand/gravel. This is the type of gravel that is put on the bottom of bird cages. We then mist them, keeping them damp, until we see some sign of germination. This may be only once a day. We grow them under a cool, and hot light. 24 hrs a day. We start to fertilize with a very, very weak soulution of Liquidnox every time watered. This is continued until they are about a year old and crowding the pot, almost jumping to get out, or can be handled easily. We then pluck out the ones to be then transplated into a rose pot, l" x 4" Young seedlings can be watered freely until they are a year old, and go into their first grown up pot of 3/5 x 4" Good Luck with these, a little hint. I would wait until spring to start cactus seed, Cowboy if you read this please add what you can or correct. This poor guy was waiting for a response, so I pitched in first. I just don't want him to plant the wrong time of year. Norma

Madison, WI(Zone 5a)

Sorry, I should have explained my setup. I've got a 400W MH lighting system and am only growing entirely indoors (as I'm in an apartment and have no outdoor), so growing year round really isn't an issue. Thanks for the advice! It will be a big help! Genevieve

Would you grow Christmas Cactus seeds the same way?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.