boston ferns

I have had nothing but bad luck with boston ferns. I bought one about 4 months ago and it started to die so I put it outside. Because of the area I live in it gets really hot. It seems to be getting new growth out there but the part that closest to the wall has dead leaves. Can anyone give me some advice on how to help my fern thrive? PLEASE help! I would love to bring him indoors but I need to find as many tips as I can.

This message was edited Saturday, Nov 23rd 3:35 PM

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Zunflowerz nice to meet you,

Well I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to boston ferns. I do know they like ALOT of water and humidity, they like to be misted daily with a spray bottle. We keep them outside all summer at the flower shop and they are in west facing position and seem to do very well, even in the heat of summer. As far as leaves browning on one side I can't help you but I'm sure others here have more tips.

Becky

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Yes they do like humidity and water. I have Boston Fern that are almost 6 years old. I bought it for my wedding . Now I need to divide them in two and replant in two large pot. IN summer, I water it in every early morning or evening. To make sure it have good drain.. I keep mine under shade. THey become more dark green under shade. I leave mine outside around year but in winter, I put it in Temp. Green house. I feed mine with Miracle Gro once a week during spring and summer time. WHen they are under Sun, they sometime turn brown on side and fall off. That why I keep mine under shade.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I had the same problems until I set my fern in a larger cache pot and had gravel in the bottom of it that I kept filled to the top of the gravel with water. This humidity right underneath to fronds seemed to work well and keep it from turning brown regardless of the sunlight. Hope this helps. Lou

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.