Can be ugly - must spread and grow in shade

Cortlandt Manor, NY(Zone 6a)

I am looking for a vine to cover a fence that is going up in the middle of a short section of woods behind my house . . to keep my kids out of the busy road on the other side. - This vine doesn't need flowers, the more "invasive" the better. Has to grow in shade.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Ivy should do good, Virginia Creeper, and there is a lamium that has yellow flowers, it climbs good and grows fast.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I'd go with Virginia creeper. There's a place here that has it growing on a chain-link fence and it looks pretty neat. It turns bright red in autumn too.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Aristolochia?

Evert: There are so many Aristolochia, which one are you speaking of? Thanks!

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Well, the cold hardy species? I really don't knwo much about them but they are popular shade vines here. I think the one we grow here is A. macrophylla.

This message was edited Monday, Nov 18th 8:06 AM

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Polygonum? Silver Lace Vine. Nicely invasive!

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Aristolochia Durior....large heart shaped leaves and small, un-noticeable pipe shaped flowers. Was very popular in victorian times. Here's a pic of it growing on my pergola (to the right). It will need something to twine around though. If your fence is solid, you might need to go with something that adheres by itself, like hydrangea vine.

Sandy

Thumbnail by Seedsower
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

seedsower, that is beautiful! What a great idea.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

ss........that is one magnificent work of art!!! side gardens are making a big comeback!!! Elaine

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Sandy beat me to it. I was going to suggest hydrangea vine: Self-sticking, shade tolerant, and not at all bad looking. It can take time for cuttings to establish, but nurseries here have big, fat-stemmed ones with massive roots bound up in 3-gallon pots. Home Depot has dozens that they can't get rid of and don't know how to care for. They're fine for now, but they'll fry in an open lot when the hot weather comes -- just like last year's batch.

I was just reading about that Aristolochia -- maybe at Dewey Fisk's site? If you'd like to know, tell me, and I'll check my History file.

Planter Rik - could you?? When you have time. Thanks! A.

Thanks Sandy for the cool photo! What a serene spot in your garden. I think I'll stop on by sometime for some R & R :)

I really want something nicely invasive because the more it spreads and trails, the easier my job is. The fence is about 250 ft.

I am kicking myself for forgetting to mention that deer can't like it -- which probably rules out the hydrangea vine -- at least if it is anything like the hydrangea shrub I have that the deer can't seem to keep away from.

Thanks everyone!!
A.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Alyssum, One vine that comes to mind is Polygonum aubertii, Silver Lace Vine. It is a very vigorous grower, has lacy whitish flowers in mid=summer. I had it at my old place but actually removed it as was too vigorous for its location. Shouldn't be hard to find.
A vine I enjoy I am growing on end of one of my storage sheds Akebia quinata, but might not do too well in shade. Mine is quite vigorous and starts easily from cuttings as I have given some to friends. Another vine that humminbirds love is Campsis radicans, trumpet creeper, altho I must say I've had a problem getting Chinese trumpet vine to grow here. Donna

Donna: OH yes - I heard that the trumpet vine you are speaking of is one that the deer stay away from. Good idea!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I checked –- that was Aristolochia fimbriata, a very different plant -- the same mini-Dutchman's-pipe flowers, though.

Hydrangea Vine is unrelated to bush hydrangeas. The name comes from the similarity of the flowers. I'm no longer in a deer-rich area, so I can't comment on their interest in it. I do recall, however, that, when snow was on the ground, the deer ate all the plants that were supposed to be deerproof.

Now that I think of it, they also ate my "deerproof" plants in midsummer.

Beware of Campsis radicans if you have allergies. Several people in my family react to it as to poison ivy. Poison Ivy! Now there's an idea -- fast grower, doesn't mind shade, pretty, glossy leaves, nice color in the fall, I've never heard of deer eating it, and it will have an extra deterrent effect for the kids.

Yikes!!! Poison Ivy!! I am severely allergic to P.I. myself - - had it twice this year for over a month both times! Thanks for the warning. -- Do you know if the reaction was similar but possibly milder?? Just curious. Something to mull over a bit. I may still grow it since I already have P.I. in the same woods and have no hope of irradicating it all out anyway. mmmmmmmmm.

This message was edited Tuesday, Jan 21st 8:02 AM

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 5b)

I to am looking for a vine that will grow in just about total shade. I live in zone 5. Lower Michigan. It is to cover a fence between the fence and my garage. I use this area for my dog run. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. THanks, Michelle

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

welcome to daves mmblackcat---glad to see another fellow michigander!!!!
I can't help you much with your question but I am sure others will be along that can!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Since this thread started, I've been growing a hydrangea vine on a West-facing rock wall that gets only an hour or so of partially blocked sunset light. It seems fine. I don't know anything about its ability to survive in Michigan!

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

rik, please email me.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Virginia Creeper also causes, Poison Ivy- like reactions on some people-

Detroit, MI

I'm in Michigan too and I have a Silver Lace Vine that I just planted last year. It gets a couple hours of dappled sunlight, the rest of the time is in shade. It is a VERY fast grower and the tiny white flowers are lovely.

Thumbnail by gardenkat
Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have a large area of English Ivy that has completely covered the ground in a shaded part of my yard. This is the stuff that grows on old buildings & looks so neat & pretty. It creeps along the ground and climbs up any upright surfaces. I was thinking about clearing some away for more gardening area, and would be happy to offer some. It is cold hardy, and tolerates dry conditions once it is established. It grows quite dense over time. It can grow in sun or deep shade. I can't bear the thought of killing it, so please email me if anyone would like some. I have LOTS of ivy to clear!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I just read someplace online that there is also a pink Silver Lace vine. I've got to get one of those.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I think that Virginia creeper would be one of the most compatible things with a location in or next to the woods, since Virginia creeper is native to the eastern U.S. It can be grown from cuttings, so if you already have some in your woods, you're all set.

Virginia creeper kind of looks like poison ivy but the two are not related so if you are allergic to poison ivy (as most people are) it doesn't necessarily mean that you will be allergic to Virginia creeper. By any chance, are you allergic to cashews or mangos? They are related to poison ivy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.