Sansevieria- Do you collect these

Valley Village, CA

I'm lonley, no one to discuss this species. Any one
our there?

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

I have 4 of them, but don't know much about them, sorry Norma.

I just remember that when I was a kid my mom had one that bloomed every year and the smell was so strong and they had nectar???? drops all over.
Carmen

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I wouldn't say I collect them, but I do like them and have about half a dozen kinds presently. Some are the rosette kind, some really tall growing ones, over 3', some banded with creamy margins. I especially like my cylindrica. I almost lost this and others during my illness, and did lose some to freezing because I wasn't able to bring them inside like I usually do. I placed several of the medium tall ones in an office building where almost nothing can grow because of the solar screens and tinted windows, and they to well there. I was disappointed when one cylindrica bloomed soon after I put it into a lady's office, and she seemed not to even notice the spicy fragrance.

Valley Village, CA

Don't grow them. Well you should. They are virtually bug free, easy to grow, no water during the winter months if cold. Can easily go three months out of soil, ask Juan Chahinian. Like to be crowded, don't need new soil but every three years, a wide selection available, can grow in the house with low light. Hard to kill, really hard to kill, attractive. Wide leaves, spotted leaves, striped leaves, grey, green, black, ridged, yellow, white and green, there is a whole new world out there with this species. Crasulady

Fairchild Air Force , WA(Zone 7a)

I have just one, or rather 3 rooted, in a plastic 3-ounce Dixie cup. It's a reifasciata, I think.

This is after 7 years, more or less, when I almost killed a trifasciata laurentii from overwatering. But just as it came back from the grave, my son went & sat on it, snapping all leaves at or below soil level, then knocked it off the table. I'd love to get another one. Someday.

I think my mom in Pennsylvania has a hahnii that I dearly want shoots from!

Valley Village, CA

I find S. t hanii difficult to grow, I just forget and get water down in the cup which causes rot. I did have did have a large collection of this variety, but no more, I lost most of them when I went to Africa, a friend watered. Norma CA

Valley Village, CA

I have some of the common ones I'm willing to share, but we must wait until it is warm enough to mail. Most can be started even with a leaf cutting. So if you think one is dying always cut off the leaf, and set in the smallest pot you can find, you may even use an alunimum cans with holes in the bottom. Clay pots would be my choice, about 4 inches deep but smaller if the plant will stand up in it, or just put the soil very shallow, and fill the rest up with rocks to hold the plant up. Or crush up some old clay pots in small pieces to hold up the leaf cutting. This will work, I know that is the way I start all my Sansevieria. Norma

Valley Village, CA

If the leaves rot off at the top, do not toss the bottom, during the warm months it just may come back. I hope I will have some to share this spring, about April 1 if it is warm. I always have some day every winter.
I will share the S. hanii if you remind me. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Did you know that there is a special forum just for this specis? That is where the big guys hang out. Crasulady

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.