succulent pelargoniums

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

anyone got any succulent Pelargoniums?

Mark

Valley Village, CA

Mark, yes I do and they are seasonal plants, some you take cuttings now, others not until Spring. Norma

would you like to swap cuttings for anything that I have?

The easiest would be to send you hardy Geranium seeds or species Pelargonium seeds. the same goes for anyone else reading this. I would consider other species of Pelargoniums

Mark

Valley Village, CA

Mark, I'm sorry I don't have seeds, I do have cuts. I don't know what you would want. I don't have any more than 10 at this time. But I certainly know where to get them. Norma

can you email me a what you might able to part with?

whwere do you pick 'em up?

Valley Village, CA

Mine are African sp. either from Michael Vassar or the Huntington Gardens. You don't pick these up, some are very expensive, and slow growing. Planning to get 10 more. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Mark, Hi Where do you live? I do not grow Geranium, well, maybe 5. I grow and interested in Pelargonium with documentation. I don't want to duplicate what I already have. These grow in very hot dry climates. Crasulady

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I've seen Pelargonium cotyledonis in Helsinki Botanical, pretty neat looking ;) I think it is one of those "succulent pelargoniums"?

Valley Village, CA

I just repotted one of mine, it has a round ball on the roots, I suppose I could take it off and it would grow, I wonder how far beneath soil level I should set it? I don't know what color the flowers are, it has normal Pelagonium leaves, but just plain green. I will keep you posted as to what species it is, I will need to bring it into the Huntington Gardens and ask Michael Vassar about it. Norma

according to my new and favoutite book on the subject they are replanted just below the surface. Dont keep it too wet as it might rot.

Valley Village, CA

Mark, I just received a few more seedlings today, that are winter growers, but I know nothing about them, they were open pollinated. These are babies, but I'm willing to share them with you, come summer. Just email me and remind me. I haven't the foggiest. Norma

OK.

Valley Village, CA

Mark please forward your email address. I have a winter growing species. I don't know it's name, I'll send it to you to identify, this is a open seedling, from the Huntington Gardens. Norma

Evert this is Pelargonium cotyledonis http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/Succulent2002/isi/2002-36.html

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Yes it looks same as in the botanical, it's bigger there though.

I think I have seen these fior sale in nurseries in their bonsai section and didnt realise what they are. I will look out next year for them

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Would never think to look there!

Valley Village, CA

I now have my collection of them with names and documentation. These must be winter growers as they are all in leaf. I do have two summer growers, as they are as naked as a new born. Norma

Valley Village, CA

Mark, what book is your favorite, how did you get interested in this species. Norma

basically I dont like the bedding Pelargoniums and .... when I saw the collection in the Botanic Gardens Dublin that was it. I had about 6 until that point and then I went mad!

the ones I had before I got hooked but ..... maybe I was hooked anyway ..... are

alchemelloides - ?perennial but still flowering
sidoides - ever green
fragrans - evergreen
quercetorum - perennial but retains a few small leaves
quercifolium - perennial but retains a few small leaves
echinatum - winter growing but still sound asleep

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.