Rooting Hormone

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

How many of you use rooting hormone on your cuttings?
Have any of you used the liquid hormone vs the powder?
I have talked to some people that use none at all and they indicate there cuttings root very well.

Paul

I don't use it often. I've found if I take the cuttings at the right time of year they don't really need it. Also I'm not all that keen on hormone additives.

The liquid v powder; well the liquid isn't so messy and has a slightly quicker uptake into the cutting but it is harder to see which cuttings have the hormone on and how much is actually on there. Other than that I find they both work equally as well but I'm always having to throw bottles of the stuff away because I just can't use it all up in the time frame for effective use.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I have used the powder for years. Always use it! Have really good luck with all cttings, even at bad times of the year.

Mason, MI

Hi Paul,
I've had great luck this year with the rooting powder.
I never expected that ALL of the scented geraniums
(that I rooted) would make it...but they did!
I highly recommend it.
OD :-)

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Paul, i NEVER use rooting hormone on any of the cuttings i start. so far worked pretty good for me.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

One plus to the powder is they add an anti-fungal ingredient to deter rotting.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I always use rooting hormone, a liquid called dip n'grow and you can vary the strength. If you have bottom heat it sure helps too especially later in the fall, in the summer I don't use any but I would need it now for things to root very effectively.I think Baa is right, the right time of the year is critical if you live in a climate that grows colder in the fall. MaVieRose you live kind of out in the semidesert so I would see where you could have great luck.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Lenjo, do not be decieve by the word desert. believe it or not, we are now in the lower 40*F if not any less. last night it was 38*. our daytime high is in the upper 50ish these days.

i would give credit to the plastic bag i created like a portable greenhouse. i planted this cuttings last Monday, 10/21/02.

i figured the cuttings need lots of humidity. the plastic close at night keeps the humidity inside the bag, and warms the plants at night. in the day time, i keep the portable greenhouse open. i close the plastic with the aid of clothes pins.

plastic bag is huge, i use plant poles as stand to keep the plastic from touching the cuttings. here it is...

Thumbnail by MaVieRose
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

MaVie, those look great. I use the liquid rooting hormone. It sure makes some of the hard to root stuff that I like easier to root.

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I have used the powdered form but I prefer willow water because I think it is more effective.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

thanks Cala :)! i never use any rooting hormone.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

There are several kinds of plants that I start in water, then move to soil as soon as root nodes appear. With those, I don't use rooting hormone. With everything else, I do -- powdered.

I've experimented with rooting without and have had rotting problems. Maybe I should be giving more credit to the antifugal agent in the powdered hormone.

With brugs, which I start in water, I've only had problems with green cuttings rotting. Cuttings with a little bark forming have done fine -- maybe the more developed surface is more effective in keeping out fungus and bacteria. Perhaps I should look into antifungals and antibacterials those with which I don't use powdered hormone.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

I use both willow water and the powdered Hormex on hard to root stuff.The easy ones get nothing.

Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought some rooting hormone powder the other day. I have never used rooting hormone before but I want to try it on some gardenia cuttings. There are absolutely no instructions on how to use it either on the jar or the packaging it came in. The product is called TakeRoot made by Schultz. Do I just dip my cut gardenia stems into the jar and then put them in water? Wouldn't that just dissolve the power in the water? Do I dip them and then just let them sit out of water for some period of time until the power is absorbed into the stem? I'm clueless here. Instructions and advice appreciated. Thanks.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Don't use rooting hormone in water. If you must root these in water maybe try some 'willow water'
http://www.texas-rose-rustlers.com/willow.htm

Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

Ok. I have planted the the one cutting I had already dipped in some potting soil. Because gardenia cuttings are so long lived even without rooting and they tend to take longer than other plants to form root nodes, I prefer to root them in water so I can see if roots are actually forming. Thanks for the link. According to that info you are suppose to root cuttings using willow water in soil too after 24 hours. I have another product called Root Stimulator (also by Schultz), which is a liquid, that I use for the initial watering when I transplant or repot. I am going to try that with the other gardenia cuttings I have in water. Thanks for the help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.