Indoor Lighting

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I know nothing about indoor lighting and would like to install some to begin having plants. The windows aren't good places to put the plants because of the hot water radiators. Plus the trees and roof overhang don't help. Beside flourescent, are there any other bulb choices? And what about in the basement for starting and growing on cuttings? Anything other than flourescent bulbs? I am thinking of Aroids mostly. Thanks!

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

I also have hot water heat and same problem under windows.
But i set a fountain next to the plants and they do better.
Hope this helps
Arlene

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Arlene, what a good idea. Somewhere I read of indoor fountains growing in popularity. Although I don't know anyone that has one, it would be nice for the sound efect alone.

Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

I did all my starts in my basement. I have a rack with metal mesh-like shelves. I have fluorescent shop lights hanging from chains with hooks from the bottom of each shelf. This makes them adjustable, so as the plants grow, I can raise the lights. This came in handy this year when we had such a yucky Spring, my mater plants got about 12" - 16" tall.
This was my first attempt at it and it worked out great!
I was very proud to have much of my garden started from seed by ME!
I know that some HID lighting like High Pressure Sodium and Metal Halide can be used, but I'm not sure about the wattage or spacing.

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

My husband set up a nice little plant station in the basement for me last year and I started all my seeds under lights downstairs this past spring. I've seen all kinds of expensive plant lights in the garden centers, but ended up buying about 4 long overhead lighting fixtures at home depot, and you can buy their special plant bulbs for about $4-$5 a piece. Seemed to work really well. I've got all my tender perennials and orchids down there right now-so we'll see how they make out this winter. So far they all seem to be thriving well!

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I am thinking more of house plants in the living room, TV room, and bedrooms, and how to give them proper lighting. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I have very little outside light and need artificial lighting of some sort.

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

I am using 400 watt HID lighting to illuminate a 3 x 5 foot area on which I am growing hydroponic cherry tomatoes, indoors. The lamp is 42 inches above the table. A few words about HID. The bulbs are HOT..., and I do not mean popular. The bulbs are expensive. As they approach the end of their RATED life, they lose a lot of their frequency spectrum and thus their usefulness. They are REALLY bright lights. NEVER look directly into them. If they are near a window, they will illuminate the neighborhood. They will fade fabrics quickly. You will probably want them on 12 hours a day seven days a week. 400 watts. Hmm..., that's 142 kilowatts per month. What are you paying for electricity?

Adam.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I was wondering if there might be something not that hot?

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I've been starting plants under lights for over 5 years.
I've expermiented with many types of lights and I found that fluorscent fixtures with one cool white and 1 warm white bulb work just as well as anything.
The key is to hang your lights by chains so that you can keep them as close to the plants as possible. You raise the lights as the plants grow.
The HID lamps are $$$expensive to operate besides giving off alot of heat.

Paul

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

bump...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.