plant containers

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

It occurred to me that since I have so many houseplants I have scrounged some pretty interesting plant containers. A couple of them would be a stainless steel washtub out of an old washing machine, and also an old rinse tub with legs. I have several old buckets with rusted holes in the bottom. One I found alongside the road. For smaller houseplants I love the little old decorative planters made in the 20's, 30's and 40's made like pigs or chickens, etc...
Anyway whatcha got your plants in.?

Fairchild Air Force , WA(Zone 7a)

Pots in all shapes, colors/designs, & sizes; the more unusual the better:

Clear white planter so I can see the roots & dirt with rounded flower petal-shape saucer; bright yellow happy/smiley face pot with saucer shaped like the clear white one; terra cotta soup turreen shape; many of my own hand-painted and collaged; nursery pot in a metal snowman's head; 3 bronze-looking boots on a tray; shaped silly face terra cotta; heavy wire-brushed terra cotta; 3-D rabbit sticking halfway out of pot; 3-D frog done the same way as rabbit.

Dannon & Darigold yogurt cups in coffee cups & small cache pots; in a rabbit planter; in a (Musselman's?) Apple Sauce can -- the kind with painted on/permanent label.

A plastic 3 ounce Dixie cup inside a candle holder.

Antiques -- McCoy pots; Haeger chartreuse with fluted rim & saucer.

Porcelain chamber pot; white enamel-coated metal wash basin; little red wagon; coal bucket; blue fleck enamel-coated water bath/canning pot.

Then there's a terra cotta Medusa-head planter I'm going to order from "Secret Garden Rare Plants" Internet store.

This message was edited Friday, Oct 25th 6:02 PM

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Libby, Do you remember when macrame was popular? I knew some people that made hanging baskets out of porcelain bedpans or chamber pots for the bathroom.
Do you have the little red wagon inside or outside?

I checked the wagon, coal bucket, canning pot, & wash basin today & unfortunately they'll have to stay outside because they're holey, rusted, muddy, & buggy. Darn! So, strike them off my houseplants cache pot list, for now, or at least until I can clean them up.

They were holding house plants in them, outside, until it started getting too cold & I had to bring the plants in.

I remember macrame, but I don't think I ever saw chamber pot hanging planters. That's quite an idea! I'll have to consider that. Thanks!

This message was edited Saturday, Nov 2nd 8:05 PM

Grandview, TX(Zone 7b)

Kathyjo,
I am a nurse and have an old porcelain bedpan hanging on the wall filled with ivy in my office. It is definately an conversation starter, LOL.
TL

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I suppose you could hang one on the wall and have the, uh, repository so to speak, on the down side and the narrower end up.. Never thought of that!

KathyJo,

You know those Parkay margerine tubs that are decorated according to the seasons? With holes poked in the bottoms & the lids being used as saucers, they might make good pots for plants with shallow root systems.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.