Our greenhouse project

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I know some of you have asked about our greenhouse project, and did I have pix of the steps. Yes, I do have pix, and I will post them here on this thread to show what we started with and what it looks like now. I hope I can do this the way I want to, that way it will all be contained here on this one thread. First off, the building was used to house 100 head of sows as a breeding/gestation building. The dimensions are 30x120. It has a cement floor (with insulation under part of the cement where the sows laid to sleep), water to it, and a 1,000 gallon LP tank outside. The building itself was structurally sound. We decided to sell the sows almost 2 years ago and now Spouse just buys feeder pigs from a neighbor. I have to apologize for all of the old individual hog houses in front of the building itself, but time did not allow us to tear those down this year. That will be the project for next year, some heavy-duty landscaping around the building front. When we decided that the greenhouse project was a "go", spouse said we will do half and see what happens. So, the greenhouse as it is now is 30x64. Here is the outside of the building as it was before we did anything to it.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

This is the view of the inside of the building as it looked when it had the hogs in it.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

The gates and partitions are out now.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Even tho we decided to only make half into a greenhouse, we cleaned the whole building in case future plans call for finishing the rest. Spouse pressure washed the entire building inside, it took him 8 1/2 hours.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

The old, falling down junky insulation under the tin roof and the tin were taken off. Rafters were going the wrong way so those all had to be taken down and measured, cut and painted before putting them back up. All rafters had a coat of primer and a coat of oil base finish. The sides of the board that were going to be in direct contact with the polycarbonate paneling had to have 2 coats of marine grade varnish. This view shows the rafters as they were being painted. MUCH eaiser to paint them on the ground! :>)

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

2 ventilation fans were installed on the east end.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Automatic shutters were installed on the wall we built on the west end that shut off the part we didn't finish off this year. I should say here that we had to purchase very little lumber for rafters, etc. The tin on the wall where the automatic shutters are came from the roof that we took off.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Sarting to put the polycarbonate paneling on the roof. Spouse decided that this was NOT a good husband-wife job, so hired help for that. All totaled, we had help for 3 afternoons, otherwise we did it all ourselves.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Outside of the building with all the paneling on the roof.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Spray-on expandable foam insulation was put on the north roof and north wall. We did not put this on, was done by the business owner. This was put on before the paneling on the south roof and wall.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Over the spray on foam, we stapled foil, bubble, bubble, foil insulation. It was 8 feet wide and came in a 120 foot roll. The foil really reflects the light, makes it very open and bright. I should add here that the foam is minimum 2 inch thickness.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

South wall with the paneling installed. The spray on foam insulation below the paneling is now painted white.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Outside of the building with all the paneling on.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Let there be plants................ I have no desire to go into retail at this point. I am renting out space for people to bring their tropicals and winter them over here. I charge $20.00 per plant for the whole winter. I will make no money at this year, as I am not full, but, hopefully, by word of mouth by next year I will be full. I am over half right now, but I have over 70 of my own in there too! I had a disclaimer drawn up by an attorney for people to sign, just to cover my butt "just in case...." If this grows into a larger business in the next couple years, we will probably have papers drawn up and make it an LLC, so we can keep it separate from the farm business. I provide all the plant care for those brought in. If there is anything you want to know, just ask. I did forget to put in the pix of the heaters. We have 2 Modine 200,000 BTU LP heaters. We started this project in mid-May, and finished it in late September. This was done on top of all the other things that come with running 400 acres and milking cows and doing field work. And we're STILL married....amazing!!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

And a few more plants...........

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Mason, MI

Wow...what an awesome project!
Best of luck with your greenhouse,
and thanks for sharing all of those photos.
What a process! ;-)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

anna, this is just fabulous!!! what a great way to spend the winter. just curious, what happens if someone's plant doesn't make it? are you out more than the $20?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

wowzerz-great job!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

A great project! I remember when you were just 'considering' this! Ya'll did good! Looks great!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks, all, for the comments. tiG, yes, just out the $20.00. That's why I have them sign a waiver. I mean, plants are living things, I realize that somewhere along the line, SOMETHING IS GOING TO DIE!!!! I'm realistic about it, but hope for the best. That's why we garden, don't we?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Wow, it looks great!! There was a greenhouse in Alaska featured in one of our grower magazines. He rents out space for people to overwinter their plants. That's a great idea.(ours is too full of stuff to do that)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Anna, I bet you don't lose much if anything. You have a passion and you'll take as good care of them as if they were your own. Very smart to make them sign something though:) Best of luck!!!!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Anna, what an interesting project! Thanks for sharing the photos - I had wondered how far you progressed this summer; looks like you were very busy :) Here's hoping all the plants stay warm and healthy!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey really REALLY COOL! er uh, maybe that's warm. whatever. and amazing project!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Anna, what an amazing undertaking!!! I admire you for the making of the transition, here. I looks as though you have a great sunny exposure on the one side as well as through the panels on the roof...I betcha you could grow super tomatoes there also! We built our garden room and glasshouse(with friends)..and I wouldn't part with it for the world! a sanctuary is a great place to escape to! good luck with all the inhabitants(the plants) Elaine

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Anna, that is incredible. I can only dream of someday having a greenhouse that big.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Bumping this up to the top because Anna_Z posted a picture on the photo forum of how it looks now.... full, very full and like a jungle!!. A successful business venture!!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

;-))

Beaumont, TX

Good Grief Anna-Z ! That was a major transformation ! And tons of room ! Wow it looks great! I'd like to see the pic in the photo forum. Which thread is it on?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Anna, please do post more pictures and how your greenhouse business is doing. It's amazing!
:) Donna

Bucyrus, OH(Zone 6a)

It needs a wicker couch with big comfy cushions -- for napping out among the growing things! It's BEAUTIFUL! :) I see huge business potential too. :)

-Joe G.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

What Happened to the Hogs?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.