Just a few
(55 votes, 35%)
Red dot

None, unless artificial ones count
(12 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

only two, the rest are all outside. I guess I like to play outside more!

Far too many.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

My house is small and shady and I don't have a greenhouse so any at all have to be nursed along. I have brought a bruggie and it is tourching the dining room ceiling. I am hoping the buds open on it before I send it to the basement in a county-owned house.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

ha ha ha to many to count!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I don't have a green house either. it looks like I'll need one if I stay too long at Dave's Garden.

So far I have received some pretty special plants and I will have to take care of them over the winter. That will be a challenge for me. Anyone out there with limited space and no greenhouse?

I now have brugs (never had them before, they are new to me..), coleus, EE's and when I dig up my hibiscus I will pot them up. Oh, and some sweet potato vines. And I have a couple of regular house plants too. My Spider plant and Chinese Evergreen. They are almost impossible to kill. Both of them have been with me through thick and thin. When they have been neglected, I just give them a good watering, or some new soil and they are good as new...until I neglect them again. But it takes a long time to notice as they are not too demanding.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Well, I suppose you mean tropicals(incl. vines, etc), that come into the garden room for the cooler season???? Liz, where are ya??? tell them how????? you have??????? Trouble is, when entering my room, I do the suffle-hop-skip-and-jump dance to just get in there..and today, I was given a 3-4' tall Coral Tree(don't even know what it is??) Boy, I'm a sucker!!!! Playing around with them.......is a great past-time!!!! I put on the radio music and...the rest you know!!!! Elaine

Alfred, ON(Zone 4b)

way to many *LOL* I had lots of them ouside in my small greenhouse, but had to move them inside *LOL*

HA HA inside where, since my house is to small there was no room for them all, so I moved lots of them in to my uncompleated house *LOL* I took one of the bedrooms. I closed in the walls with plastic and put a heather there.

So when it's watering time I have to haul pails of water from house to house *LOL*

and to be honest, they do much better there then in this house??? better air better light???

Versailles, CT(Zone 7a)

I counted and at the moment we have 10 and they are my DH's department. Come the really cold weather the oleander will come inside, on to an unheated landing (11) and if it gets way below zero, in come the bay, rosemary and decorative wormwood (14). Come February/March there'll be all those tender seedlings (then we get to uncountable).

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, I'm the one who said none except the artificial ones. But that's not exactly true - I have two Aloe plants and a tiny Christmas cactus that I neglect (er, keep) on the windowsill of my laundry room. I have some tender things that I plan to bring in this winter, or take cuttings from, so perhaps I'll ease my way from "certified house plant killer" to someone able to at least keep things alive for a few months indoors!

This message was edited Monday, Oct 21st 9:57 AM

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i have way too many and need to concentrate on my collections, which i have too many of also...lol...i am goin to post that i will send a box of sometimes HTF rooted plants for postage for a newbie....plus im gonna get rid of the av's i have....i think 300+ plants in the house is a tad too much....lol

cindy

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, if you count house plants individually, I think I may be up to the 1000 range; if you count pots, it is probably in the 200-300 range. Mostly they are over-wintering tender plants, but a few true houseplants that get summer vacations outside. About 15 orchids (hard to tell without pulling them off the bark), 10 bromeliads (just divided and gave away some that were dying with new pups), spider plant (of course!), swedish ivy, my new cactus & succulents (I was bad again a few days ago), tropical ferns, bird of paradises, palms, the list is becoming endless. I set up an area in a spare room in the basement with grow lights, extra humidifier, etc. It is cooler down there than the rest of the house, so the plants will do better (I hope!)

Vols, I am ashamed of you! Houseplant killer indeed! You need to get yourself a bowl of water and put a piece of ivy in it. It will happily grow that way for months, and then you won't have to be plant-less! Or a piece of Green Arrow, or a prayer-lily, or a peace-lily, or a whole lot of other things that just grow very happily in water. No excuses now (unless you live in a cave :D

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I have let my collection get way out of control and almost killed myself re-potting most of them and bringing them into the basement. They will live there under artificial lighting for the winter months. I had to get brutal and dispose of jillions of the ones that I had multiples of because there wasn't enough room for them. It just killed me to do it because I kept thinking how other folks would love having them. The other folks weren't there at the moment so necessity made it necessary to compost them. "Boo Hoo!!" It just kills me doing that.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

So far, only a few... but, we've only been in this house a few months, and it's bigger than my old one with better natural indoor lighting... so... that number may change!

Iola, WI

I thought I had this plant thing under control...until I had to bring everything into the house for the winter!

I voted a few dozen, but know I'm beginning to wonder.
I picked up a couple of late season specials at WM, huge specimens for $5.95 a piece!

Now we're in negotiations on our first home purchase. It has a huge room (approx 12' X 20') that will be a great plant room! Also, I'll have a whole yard to landscape! I'll be a very busy girl next spring!

San Francisco, CA

House plants are a pain unless you have the right lighting conditions. They grow towards the light. They can look nice, if one has space. Sky lights are better then windows.
I have none at this point, but if I had space, I would grow orchids.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't have, but DW has about 50. And some people think their greenhouse is to full. They do keep the air in our house nice and fresh.
Bernie

(Zone 10)

Green, just give me more green inside and out.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I have several hundred. I don't count them. I seem to get a lot of plants other people don't know what to do with or are going to throw out. I really seem to get a lot by reviving ones other people almost kill. My lastest is a kalanchoe from my daughter's last evening. Nipped by frost, but I should be able to salvage it. I am very addicted to propagating. Just last week my boss gave me a table full of cactus. They are almost all the same kind. Her Mother a cactus lover had passed away and the family just took a few things. I rescued a whole table full before frost got them. I just have two more of these to get to friends.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Too many.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

The indoor plants just grew in number with the frost we had. Anything outside is now inside for the winter. Hopefully, they will all get the attention they deserve! My indoor plants were *slightly* neglected while I tended to outdoor gardening this year. I'm going to have to learn how to manage both so no one suffers next year.

I just need more hours in the day!

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I have no indoor plants. With the roof overhang and trees, trees, trees; there is not enough light. Plus with hot water radiators, the window spaces are too hot in the winter.

My only indoor plants are what I winter over from cuttings in the basement.

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 23rd 10:14 PM

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I have none, no phony plants either! Anytime I've tried to grow anything inside, either the cats eat it, or the dogs knock it over (and then the cats eat it)! Everything that needs to come inside for the winter goes to mom's house!

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

I have a dozen orchids, a few african violets and a Philodendron thats over running tha house at 12 feet long

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I made a quick list of what I have, can't remember everything |P

Coffee bush, 3 different Strelitzias, 3 passifloras, 1 sunflower, saxifraga, bauhinia, billbergia, loquat, coleus, 3 different dracaenas, asparagus, chlorophytum, tradescantias, ludisia 'Discolor', aloysia triphylla (lippia), cocoa tree, datura, 2 hoyas, hemp, ornithogalum dubium, yellow clivias, clivia miniata, salvia, dioscorea, rhoeo, drimiopsis maculata, nepenthes, crassula ovata (?), 2 different streptocarpellas, 3 different cactis, amorphophallus, jne.....

Holley, NY(Zone 6a)

The amount of houseplants we have depends on season :^)
In the summer we have just 3. From October till March/April, I bring inside 7 HUGE pots of geraniums (5 years in a row so far) and 3 baskets full of transplanted lisianthus. I didn't know how lisianthus would take to being transplanted but they've survived 1 year outdoors to indoors and back, and I'm trying for a second. They still bloom pretty nicely, though not as grand as when I first got 'em of course.

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I voted "too many to count" but the grandkids keep a running tally from time to time and the last count was 114. They are really the domain of DW but I live in the house (with all the plants) too! Oh and she had just donated a bunch to the church garage sale.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I had too many to count at one time but when I discovered you could grow things outside I gave them up! The light in the house is never quite right for most plants and for some reason pests and deases seem worse indoors so I gave up on any real plants inside But I missed the greenery and gave in and bought a few nice silk plants. They don't look toooo tacky... or at least I keep telling myself that!

Sykesville, MD(Zone 7b)

I have SO many,(about 30) "good-size" in my living room, I decided to put up a "garden mural" as a back drop to make it look like I PLANNED it all ! LOL... I put "plant-light" bulbs in my lamps to make up for the low-light. I can't wait for my DH to see the other posts- he thinks I'm insane. I have about 30 in the basement fo winter right now, also. That's where I'll start seeds, too.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Lil_Pip.... You might actually be insane but you are priviledged to belong to the best support group in the whole wide world. Lots of us are insane also. No names please!!!! LOL!

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 7b)

I try to keep the inside plants to a minimum as I really don't have the space or lighting for them. I have one "bay" type window that has all that I own -- mainly herbs - rosemary, basil, thyme.....I use them constantly. I do have one struggling bamboo that I'd given my husband for his office that he brought home (sick!) when he got laid off - I can't get the cats to quit chewing on it! (With two young "boys", I can't get them to stay out of anything!!) I gave all the 'ornamental plants' to my son for his snake cage...I think his little ribbon snake gets more enjoyment out of them than I do. They get great light in that cage (he buys those expensive plant lights for the snake, but the plants thrive under them in the cage!) and they also get fish water and they're growing like weeds! Suits me fine, I'd rather concentrate on what I use and want and use than things I have to worry about killing!

Fairchild Air Force , WA(Zone 7a)

I have around 40, including DS's cacti & succulents, which I tend.

I'm always looking for more, especially the ones I know that'll grow for me & which I don't already have. Like easy to care for & colorful and/or unusually variegated plants that not everyone else has. I lean towards the vining types.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

TOO MANY TO COUNT :~) However, that number decreases dramatically during the warmer months. I too feel priviledged to be amongst plant lovers who treat their plants with lots of t.l.c. I apologize to them that I have to bring them indoors to "winterize", however, that includes getting a shower, spraying to get rid of insects, & re-potting in some cases from growth spurts in the great outdoors :~)

Some of my tropical palms & split leaf philodendrun are just to darn big to fit through the doors and therefore live inside year round! Obviously, the builder should have thought to make wider doors :~) Oh well, maybe I'll consider that in my next house...

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Used to have tons. Then I had kids and couldn't keep the plants alive. I now have way too many outside, and just a few inside. And I keep them all in the kitchen so I remember to water them. Several are rescues, and one is a hoya wax plant I've had for close to 20 years. It's only bloomed once...probably due to neglect. But it refuses to die. I like that in a plant! LOL!

Duncan, BC(Zone 8a)

Not one "houseplant" but I have 7 brug seedlings in the hallway under a skylight and a few more to bring in as it gets colder outside.
I've tried houseplants over the years but I fussed over them during the winter when they wanted to sleep and was too busy outside in the summer when they needed attention.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I see by the dates that I am late in talking about houseplants. I have never counted them but there are a lot. I have what I call a plant room here in house it is an area about 8 ft. x 12 ft. at north west corner. I live in a triple wide. There is a sliding door at west and a plant stand that my oldest son built for me many years ago with lights. I have several orchids, three are in bloom now and a nice scape showing on one of the phalenopsis. Everybody gives me their amaryllis bulbs in spring and I always seem to buy some each year. Right now I have 25 bulbs, 10 of them have bloom scapes, one or two may open by Christmas. I also have a 10 x 14 ft' greenhouse that is jammed. I have a HID light in the darkest corner. There are about 20 or more hanging baskets of various plants, most were outside for the summer and were brought in just before first frost. I have a 30 year old Jade that is just about in full bloom now. It is about 4 feet all, trained to a single trunk, and always blooms for Christmas. Also have a 40" tall fucshia standard that I grew from a cutting about 20 years ago.

Niagara on the Lake, Canada

I have a plant room, a light stand and a house which all are full of plants. One day about two months ago I counted them and I had l65. They range in size from 5 feet to 1 1/2". Since the Christmas season I think I added about 8 or 9 more. Of course that includes poinsettias and the other Christmas plants and they don't count.

Ottawa, ON

upstairs .. about 2 dozen

downstairs.. several hundred,,LOL... I grow Streptocarpus plants for a Farmer's Market

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.