Mandevilla cuttings?

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

I had to cut the long arms of my mandevilla vines. Can these be rooted? Some are at least 2' long and more. Would they root in water?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm curious too....anybody know?

They are in water now and we'll see how they do. I'll let you know.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I've gotten so tired of the elaborate methods I use for rooting cuttings that I went wild a couple of weeks ago and took cuttings of everything in site and put them in water. I even added some willow stems to each vase for whatever good they might do.

The mandevilla cuttings rotted along with everything else except for the willows, green ivy (several cv's), Swedish ivy, hibiscus, acuba and sweet potato vines (Tricolor SPV rotted) which all formed roots or at least root nodes, so far. The mandevilla cuttings were green; maybe your outcome will be different with a longer or woody stem.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

OK, here is the best method I've found. I get about 30-50% success(hey, it's better than 0, lol)
Take greenstem cuttings(no flowerbuds) and cut just above the 4th node. Cut off everything above the 3rd node cause it will turn black anyway.(you should have a node with 2 leaves and a stem below it) Dip in rooting hormone, stick in vermiculite and put on a heat mat @72*F. It takes at least 2-3 weeks, maybe longer. Some will rot immediately, pull them out.
I can put photos in my journal if you'd like for me to.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I'll try that Cala. YOu count back from the very end of the shoot to the fourth node, right? Only one cutting per stem?

Shoe, yes, that's it. I haven't tried more than one from a stem, but if your stem was long enough I guess you could get several.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

OKay dokey, thanks. If it ever stops raining here today I'll be out and about taking cuttings!

It's raining here too. Remember, take about 3 times as many as you want to have, that way you should be safe.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Main thing to remember is, they have got to be kept warm, not cold. I also keep under florescent light, or near a bright window, not in sun.

Hibiscus, you are right, all tropical plants need warmth to root.

Still watching mine. I did put some in planting medium after dipping in rooting compound. Actually everything I dipped in the rooting compound has died after a few days. (Rose cuttings, phlox and Erica.) Schultz's rooting powder. Is there a better one??? Doris

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

doris, are the stems turning black? If so, that is a good sign of too much rooting powder. Or did you use the liquid?

I have better luck with the liquid root starter from Shultz.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I have never tried the liquid, just powder, but do put a capful of water on cuttings when they are planted, as rooting powder tends to burn bottom of cutting, if left dry.

Oh dear! I dipped them several times in the powder to make sure they were thickly covered! the stems are not black yet on the mandevillas, but maybe I'd better pull them out and start over. I have liquid Schultzs hormone stuff. Would that be better i wonder?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

That sounds like what Cala uses. And she likes it!

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

My cuttings are not wet when I dip in powder, then plant and pour just small amount of water at stem line, so as to get the cut end and powder moist, should be ok.

Good luck!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Hibiscus -- You find that humidity (and a the powder) alone is sufficient stimulus for rooting? No need for direct contact with a moist medium?

Is it you who had the idea of using cut-off soda bottles as bell jars for rooting?

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

i appreciate some of these suggestions, { am now officially addicted to this site } using cut off soda bottles as bell jars. Also set up a grow light under my kitchen cupboards for rootings,young plants not doing well, and such. {which is great cause its the first time i have been able to have plants in kitchen, no light for growing before }

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.