What is indirect light?

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

It is often reported that many indoor plants require "indirect light." I think there may be a lot of confusion about just what that means.

I would like to find out what you think "indirect light" means. Be as specific as possible.

Thanks.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I translate indirect light to be:
Very close to a bright window, but without direct sun beating down on the plant's leaves.

Fairchild Air Force , WA(Zone 7a)

My definition of indirect light is sun which is filtered through nearby greenery (trees, bushes, or shrubs) or a lightweight light colored unlined curtain. Also factor in roof overhangs & mini blinds semi closed.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Indirect....How's about through a window "sheer" curtain? But I'm guessing it makes a difference also which direction ..east, south, etc.

This message was edited Thursday, Oct 3rd 2:24 PM

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I always thought it meant light filtered through another object, just like all of the above, filtered through trees, shrubs or sheer curtains. I think of direct sunlight as a plant sitting outside with no blockage from the suns direct rays, and indirect as that which the light travels through some other object before getting to the plant. Both being the complete opposite of no light which is an easy one to figure out!

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

My wife, with a physicist's eye on the natural world said, "Indirect light is by definition light diffused from it's primary source, whether by reflection off a surface or by the interference effects of filtration."

Adam.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i still put my plants right in the southwindow-i figure the tinted window makes it filtered and the plants seem to luv it there!!!?

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

This is what I consider indirect light. Bright but not direct. My bird's nest sure seems to love it.

Thumbnail by stellapathic

Maybe this will help with some of your house plants

http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/horticulture/g837.htm

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you for the link, CoCo, very helpful.

Adam.

Sodwana Bay KZN, South Africa

Hi Will, long time no hear! I am not in this forum very often.
Indirect light to me is the same as bright shade - light reflected from an opposite bright wall for example. Such as in a south window (sorry, that would be a north facing window for most of you ;-)), no direct sun, no filtered sun.
Maddy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.