Do you decorate your yard for fall?

There are a total of 131 votes:

Absolutely - hay bales, scarecrows, mums, you name it!
(30 votes, 22%)
Red dot

I put up a wreath and/or flag
(14 votes, 10%)
Red dot

No, I let my fall-blooming plants and nature provide all the decoration
(58 votes, 44%)
Red dot

No fall decorations here!
(29 votes, 22%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Mars Hill, NC(Zone 6a)

One cannot improve on Mother Nature...just relax and watch her beauty.

This message was edited Sunday, Sep 29th 8:02 PM

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I change my wreath on my front door, decorate the phone wires at the front door with a fall leaf garland and put up a scarecrow on my mailbox. Other than that I rely on my fall flowers and tree leaves to decorate my yard. I LOVE fall.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I love autumn too, but we don't have a tradition of using anything special in the garden to mark it over here. The decoration is in the churches for harvest festivals.

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I dont particularly like the autumn and I cant really see my garden when the weather turns really cold as we dont use the conservatory then, so I tend to leave it to its own devises.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I have two children, so I put up scarecrows, a little trick or treater (dressed at a ghost)
http://davesgarden.com/t/125058/
and much, much more.

It's so much fun for the kids, and for me.

Versailles, CT(Zone 7a)

I voted no fall decorations - I take away the flowers in my balcony boxes and replace them with winter salad plants so I do the opposite!

Nature is decorating the garden all by herself at the moment and needs no help from me. A lot of people remove the geraniums and petunias they've had in their window boxes and replace it with autumn pansies or erica (heather). As I come from an area where heather grows wild on the moors and hills, I never buy it to put in a container - for me it belongs in the wide open spaces.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I change my wreath on the front door and fill my pots at the back door with pansies and petunias.By now,everything has burned up long ago in the sweltering heat.The fresh blooming plants are a nice welcome at my back door(only strangers use my front door)They will stay nice till up into Dec.as long as I throw a blanket over them on cold nights.

Raphine, VA(Zone 6b)

The Fall blooms in the garden with the foliage and this year I put up strawbales with a scarecrow, pumpkins and used Celosia for some color, leaves on the branches for color and still working on it,lol.
I do the halloween flag and some small things for our kids but love the Fall and leading to the Holidays.

San Francisco, CA

Who needs extra work? I don't decorate and we don't get fall leaf colors here in San Francisco. The weather is mostly the same all the time, except winters are colder, then summers, but only by about 10-20 degrees. I feel like we are almost season less here.

Rapid City, SD(Zone 5b)

Last year was the first year....It was lots of fun and the neighbors really enjoyed it too :)

Thumbnail by RiseAnn
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I love fall decorations, but I try not to go overboard. My neighbor does such a great job, there's no way I can compete with his hay wagon filled with pumpkins and scarecrows, plus all the trimmings (he owns a craft shop, so he has access to some pretty cool stuff!)

I do a wreath and a few things near our front door, and about mid-month we'll move the uncarved pupmpkins from the garden to the front porch. Our traditional carving night is the day before Halloween (and sometimes it's Halloween afternoon, if our schedule got hectic!)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I have not done fall decorating yet at this point, but I have dreams of doing it. I usually plant gourds, pumpkins and squash, and I have the plans to make a barbed wire basket to put them in. I have some cornstalks left in the garden to use also, so all I need now are the directions for making the scarecrow or witch.

Minneapolis, MN

I decorate for Halloween which stays up a few days at most but otherwise my autumn decor is my garden passing.

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Since the town I live in has a fall Corn Festival, everybody decorates. And after it's over, I just put costumes on my three scarecrows and I'm all set for Halloweeen! After that's over, the scarecrows come down but the rest stays up til Thanksgiving...then on to the Christmas lights!!!!!!!!

I refuse to own a lawn goose. Though I admit that some of their clothes are cute.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

No fall decorating here! Autumn in Alaska is a pretty wet affair. The cottonwood trees drop leaves from early September until the winds of October pluck the last of them from the branches. My yard is littered with empty pots, trimmings from the beds, and straw ready to mulch tender perennials. By the time I think of decorating, it's time to put up the Christmas decorations!

Thumbnail by Weezingreens

Gulp. WZ, is this photo from this year? Yikes!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Go-vols :
Weez is messing with you. We wont have any snow for a couple of more weeks.
We decorate our yard with a "snow stick", this is a painted board with lines on it, so we can see if we have 4
ft., 5 ft. or how much out in the yard without leaving the kitchen table.
We still have alot of pick-up, rake-up, etc.... Before the white stuff sets in for the next few months.
..........................Dennis.........................

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Don't be too sure Dennis, we had snow flurries here today.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oh, Joan, you'll have me out there raking leaves with the yard light on! I'm hoping for another week or two at least to get my stuff put away!... Is this early for your area?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Yep, it's early. We had an early frost, and then all went haywire. Last night it started raining/sleeting/snowing, and it continued on throughout the day. I hope it lets up, because if it keeps this up all night it will be white in the morning. Ugg!!!

DH and I both said today that we haven't had a day where moisture fell from the sky all day long in about 2 years. Today it did, while we were trying to move. Must be our sign. LOL!

Our only hope is that once this passes, we will have some nice weather again for a bit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because the alternative is an extremely long winter.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You said it, Joan! Most likely it will melt off and turn nice for awhile, but it's sure a mess when you've got things to do outdoors.

Ya'll have reminded me why I put up with hot humid southern summers!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Give me snow, not humidity, Go_vols! I spent my youth in northern Indiana, and you could have scooped up some of those humid, thick days with a spoon! If you opened a package of crackers or chips, you'd better have eaten them all quickly, or they'd become mush! Up here the weather is often wet, but seldom humid...odd, but nice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.