Propagation of Panda Plant

Dutton, AL(Zone 7a)

Has anyone done this and can you help me. Will it grow from a leave?

Ryan

FernCliffFarms

Ryan,

Not having one of these plants, I've never done leaf propagation, but the desert-tropicals.com website lists leaf cuttings as one method of propagation for this plant.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Crassulaceae/Kalanchoe_tomentosa.html

Fun!

Dave

Dutton, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks Dave. I'll check it out.

Thousand Oaks, CA

The Panda Plant, if it's an Adromiscus sp. I am thinking about, roots easily if a leaf is set on a moist bed of soil (very well draining cactus soil, preferrably). Here in So Cal in my garden, these often root right in the garden after being knocked off by a passing cat or whatever.

I believe the plant you are speaking about is Kalanchoe (cal en choe) tomentosa. Depending on exactly what cv they are is how easy they root. I have one that rooted within the span of a month and another that is still flopping around in the pot everytime I water 'cause it has no roots!

I saw a K. beharensis cv Fang today over three feet tall with 'curling fangs' from the back of the leaf over 1/2 inch long!!!

Some of these plants root really well and others act like you are starting business on the moon... I always anchor my leaf starts with ladies old fashioned hair pins, helping them adhere to the sand I use as rooting compound for crassula. Good luck with your endeavors!

Cena

Valley Village, CA

Panda Plant, Kalanchoe species. There also 4 color forms of this plant, I do start them from leaves. Just lay on top of the soil and a semi shaded spot and watch for roots, then start to water, you may want to poke the leaves down at this time. I hope am not going to be a pest. Please tell me if I'm in the way, (annoying) but this is what I have done at the Huntington this past eight years. Norma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.