night blooming cereus at light of day

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

My cereus bloomed last night and had seven hugh blooms. I was so proud I just have to show you a pic. Thanks, Lou

Thumbnail by dispatcher1
Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

That is just beautiful! I have a small start and will have to wait a while for something like that. Wow!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

That is beautiful. I hope to get mine to bloom. I never realized how pretty it could be.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Dis,
Still can't get over how pretty this is.

This message was edited Saturday, Sep 21st 9:17 AM

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Very beautiful,
I can't wait mine hopefully next spring so wonder how long it will start to have bloom... Dispatcher1???

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I can't say really. I bought a small start ( about 2 inchs high) from Logee's 4 years ago. This is the first year for blooms but it was also the first winter I kept in in acool room like Will Creed said it needed to bloom. When I brought it outside for the summer it really grew alot of foliage and then bloomed beautifully for me. Best of luck, and it was worth the wait! Lou

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I've had one for years and it just does nothing.Your blooms are gorgeous,and I think I'll spoil it for a while,so maybe someday....

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

This is really a knockout. Never seen one. Where could I get a start of one? Can it be grown from a section of the rubbery stalk the same as a Christmas cactus?

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I have rooted it from a leaf cut in two pieces so I think it could be rooted from the stalk also. I have some that I am currently rooting and if you check back with me in a couple of weeks, I'll know if they rooted and will trade one with you. E-mail and remind me. Lou

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

Beautiful photo. The best mine ever did was 5 blooms about 6 years ago.The plant was left on a west facing porch in Mass. all summer. It had many shoots up to 5 ft. tall. I've found it gets burned in noon-day sun. Since then we moved to Maine and drastically cut it back to move it. Now it still does single blooms but it's getting big (and ugly) again. I smelled a bloom once(like strong rose) and sneezed for 1/2 hour. F.

I have a night blooming cerues also I would say it is about 30 years old[it ws my husbands mother].Mine does not bloom much.Can anyone give me some helpful hints?I keep in in the house as the pot is too big to move easily it has a southeastern window it sits at.Dispatcher1 your blooms are beautiful.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I've had one for 3 years and NEVER has it bloomed

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

They need to be very pot bound and I keep it in a cool room all winter and only water it once in a while to keep it from dying. I think it was so happy when I put it outside last year, that it decided it had better grow and bloom or I really would kill it (like I 'm sure it thought I was trying to do last winter.) Ha! Lou

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks,its in a large shallow pot ,wonder if thats the problem.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.