Pleasing Scent

I'd love to know people's opinion of a houseplant with a nice scent that doesn't get too much eventually - I know about Stephanotis and Jasmine (the white indoor one) and Gardenia, but even if they grow successfully, the scent can be overpowering sometimes or the brain seems to get tired of it. I wold love to know everyone's opinion of their favourite scent in the house from an (here's the catch) easy houseplant. Is there such a thing? Even some scented Geraniums can be too much too.

vinca
have you tried cherry pie plant also called summer heliotrope ? it really smells of cherries i promise

Thank you, ribbitcat - in fact for some reason I can't like the scent - I have a very strong sense of smell and most scents overwhelm me. That's why I would like a nice light fragrance. I know a lot of people who love that cherry-pie scent, however!

vinca i have heard some people describe petunias as very lightly scented i cant smell them at all maybe worth a go ?
wot about something like lemon verbena not too strong a smell and also citrussy which may help too

Oakland, CA(Zone 10b)

I've been growing a houseplant for the last year that might be what you're looking for. It's alternately called Cuban Oregano, Puerto Rican Oregano, Vicks Geranium and Dittany of Crete. (I received the first cutting as P.R. Oregano, the second as Vicks Ger., and saw the others in catalogs - all the same plant.) It has a crisp, sweet lemony kind of smell that I just love. The leaves are kind of meaty and fuzzy, and you have to brush against them to release the scent - that way you can control just how much you're smelling at any given time, and can give it a little pat when you need a quick hit of that great fragrance. Also, it roots incredibly easily, so it's a no-brainer kind of plant. Let me know if you'd like a snippet.

Chris - THGA

ribbitcat, why didn't I think of lemon verbena, it used to be grown as a houseplant a lot here years ago when I first moved here. Chris, I would love a snippet - I hope I have something you would like - I have to e-mail you a list as - dreadful secret out - I can't understand how to list my trades in my Journal - and I did read the instructions and feel a bit daunted - I have a list I can send you or anyone who wants it. And yes, ribbitcat, nearly all Petunias have a scent but I don't really like it. My sister, who comes on this forum also, has no sense of smell at all and the house could burn down around her because she can't even smell burning; we are twins, and it seems I got her sense of smell as well as my own! Thanks all for the suggestions.

Petaluma, CA

Hi Vinca,
How about Hoyas? Some bloom pretty easily and have a light fragrance. I've had good success with Hoya lacunosa and its scent isn't overpowering. I have to get rather close to enjoy it, so it might be okay for your use.
Lemon verbena inside! What a lovely idea. I love that stuff!

Hi, Perlite - I've just got some cuttings of Hoya, as well as a plant of the green and white - so I'll soon be able to test their scent, hopefully!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

What about hosta? Some of them are lightly fragranced, like Sweet Susan. I've never tried to grow one as a houseplant, but I've heard people do.

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

i was suprised to find a pleaseing in adeantum peruviana.
i couldnt grow it though.

Fulton, MS(Zone 7a)

where can i get some of that lemon verbena? I have the same problem some smells just stifle me, but citus smells have always be just right.

Adeantum peruviana, den? is that an orchid? Thanks for all the help, by the way, everyone. I got my lemon verbena among the herbs in the local garden centre,laylarose.

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

its a fern vinca,realated to maidenshair.
verbina as houseplant?
please let us know how it works.

Fulton, MS(Zone 7a)

Thanks Vinca, I'll look for some today.

laylarose, I should have said the official name of lemon verbena is Aloysia or Lippia odorata or something like that - one name is newer than the other but can't remember which.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9a)

Some Peace Lilies have a nice light scent...kind of like wintergeen.
One of my favorites (when it does bloom) is Sansevieria Cylindria, really nice smell.
Randy

Buckingham, BUCKS

Hi all

This is my first post! I have several Sansevierias and although some have flowered, only two seem to have strong scents. They both smell a little like a Hyacinth. Very nice in my opinion. I also have a Kalanchoe pumila (at least I think that's what it is) which has a white bloom on its succulent leaves and pink starry flowers which smell of aniseed to me. Also have several Hoyas - Hoya bella has a nice scent albeit not strong - have to put my nose on the flowers to smell it but it's there. Hoya multiflora flowered for me with beautiful flowers but no scent. Then of course there are the cacti, of which I have quite a few and some of them have very nice scents.

lemon verbena is lippia citriodora
or aloysia triphylla
you pays your money ....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.