where are you?

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hi all

I'm interested to hear where everyone who posts on Dave's Garden is from. That goes to everyone from the UK, US and beyond. not forgetting the bystanders who read but dont post.

also what is your must have and cant do without plant? note plant not plants.

wouldn't it be great if all 1933 members add to this post?!

Mark

This message was edited Thursday, May 10th 1:07 PM

This message was edited Thursday, May 24th 3:15 PM

hi all

I'm Mark and live about 15 miles northwest of Belfast, Northern Ireland.

My must have plant has to be the hardy Osteospermum for it's endless flowers all summer until the first frosts.

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi, I am Lisa from South Louisiana, about 70 miles southwest of New Orleans towards the Gulf of Mexico...my must have plant...hmmm...well it is a tree! It is the Canary Island Palm. I just love palms and live in a subtropical zone. The plant I could do without is poison ivy!!Way to much of it here!

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm Doris, from Mt Prospect, Illinois which is about 20 miles northwest of Chicago. My must have plant, which I just got is called Million Bells. Only certain nurseries are allowed to sell them. Looks similar to small petunias but really neat! I could do without Creeping Charlie who is trying to take over the world, starting with my yard!!

Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom

Hello, I'm Trina and I'm from Norwich which is south East England,UK.

My must have plant is Melianthus Major which I'm attempting (very unsuccessfully) to grow from seed.

I don't have any could do without plants/weeds yet, but I could do without the Vine Weevil!!

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Hi there, I'm Marigold, and I live in Birmingham, West Midlands, England.I can't live without Poppies and Aquilegias, and have recently fallen in love with Dicentra

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Sorry if it can only be one plant it is the Ladybird Poppy.
Marigold.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Hello! I'm Diane and I'm from Middlesbrough. That's at the mouth of the River Tees in the north-east of England. My must-have plant is the rose - which I can't plant at the moment cos of replant problems that we have with them in England. I could happily live without ivy. One tiny houseplant grew up the garage and lifted off the roof-tiles - made it an extremely expensive houseplant!!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hello
I'm Kathleen from far western New York State, US. One plant? That is a cruel test! For the farm, it would be orchard grass (too wet for alfalfa here), for my soul, it would be the big rugosa rose. It blooms first and last and has lovely big hips! A plant I could live without would be nut sedge.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

hello, I'm Dori from mid michigan-hold up your left hand. see the little curve between your index finger n thumb-thats where I'm at!(never without a map of my state).
My flower that i have to have is night scented stock(cant find my seeds)the fragrance is the best.
I could live without creeping charlie and the mints that seem to take over!!
have a good one everyone,
dori

(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone!I'm Ladyhawke, and if I have to pick one plant, it would be columbine hands down. It comes in a variety of colors and forms, and you never know what your going to get, when starting from seed. Even after the blooms are gone, you have the nice fernlike foliage. In central california, where I'm from, it is "evergreen", and doesn't go into a dormant stage, so you have nice green foliage all year round. At the moment, I have about 45 such plants growing in my garden, and another 20 seedlings that I started this spring.

I'm Debby and I currently live in Hampshire which is south central England. I was born in the Black Country though (for those who don't know its west Central England) 'Ow Do Marigowld'

Can't do without plant is umm (Mark why only one..there are so many!) lol, Digitalis of any species, or any in the Scrophularia genus (did I get round the rule?). The one I could happily live without is the Rose, although I do house a couple. Fodder wise Timothy grass is my favourite such soft leaves and great hay smell.

why one plant only?

cos it's too easy to write a list of favorite plants without thinking about one in particular.

Mark

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, I'm from the middle part of the great state of Tennessee, also known as the Volunteer State, since Davy Crockett took some fellas down to Texas to help defend the Alamo a few years ago. (Did I tell that story right, all?)

Our state university's nickname is the Volunteers, and we are big fans; hence my DG name of "Go_Vols". Not to be confused with voles, which we also have here in this state. And our yard.

Favorite plant? Peonies. I know they're kind of fussy and all, but they were one of my grandmother's favorites, and every time I smell a peony, I am reminded of that wonderful woman. Another favorite (because you can't have one favorite - it's like choosing a favorite child from among all my children) would be lilac. Although they don't do well this far south, they carry many childhood memories for me, as they were prolific bloomers in Nebraska, where I grew up.

Hi, I'm Colleen from Alvarado,Texas, South and East of Fort Worth....(Tornado country)
Favorite plant would have to be roses. I have a few but never enough.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hi there all,
I'm Melody from south west Kentucky.I live just a few miles from the Tennessee state line and very close to Kentucky Lake.Do a web search on Kentucky Lake and you can see lots of our pretty resort area.

Tomatoes!!!! can't live without 'em! All shapes ,colors and tastes.I live for my tomato season.

If I have to choose something that flowers...Crape Myrtle.I have several and will get more this season.

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Mark,
I'm Sandy and I, like Dori, am in Michigan, sort of on the thumb knuckle, and right across the bridge from Sarnia, Canada. my all time favorite is the peony. The beautiful full blooms and the luscious fragrance they emit. Smalling peonies just puts a smile on my face.
So how about you Mark...where are you from and what is your "must have" plant?
Sandy

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, I am from Northern California about 250 miles noth of San Francisco. Located near the coast in the Mountains we are blessed with a mild climate and beautiful forests of coastal redwoods, fir, cedar and pine.

The plant that I absolutely cannot do without is the fuscia.
Any type of fuscia. They are lovely and the humming birds love them.

Chester, North Wales, United Kingdom

Hi,
I'm Jackie and I live in North Wales on the border of Cheshire (old sheep-rustling country!)
I love most plants but adore Phlox Paniculata...they really do flower their socks off for such a long time.
I am not too keen on michaelmas daisies...but the only plant I cannot abide(in the garden) is bracken...grrrr!
I don't know much about fodder crops...but if it counts,red clover!

Dutton, AL(Zone 7a)

I live in Northeast Alabama on Sand Mountain overlooking the Tennessee river.The plant I would not want to do without is old rose that belonged to my ancestors that lived around here, least liked poison ivey I can nevver get rid of it.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

FERNCLIFF MY Sister is building a house on sand mountain alabama (bryant)-wow ya'll are neighbors.
my greatniece goes to school at floralcrest on sand mountain. This is really neat-she has like 80 blueberrybushes and tons of stuff!!! kewl beans!!!

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi I'm from Brandon, FL, about 2 hours West of Orlando and 20 miles south of Tampa.

Passifloras (passion vines)!

Mark and all, I am Margaret from Co. Wicklow, Ireland. Houseplants are my thing, but overall, the plant I would be very sad about if I hadn't got it is the Viola in all its varieties, Irish Molly, Maggie Mott, Jackanapes and so on - is that cheating? Mark kidnapped me on the WWW and brought me to Dave's Garden!

Dutton, AL(Zone 7a)

Hi notmartha.
Your sister will love Sand Mountain. The upper end of the mountain where Bryant is is a haven for all kinds of wild flowers. Floral Crest used to grow acres of flowers for the market and I suppose still do. Say Hi to your sister for me

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey, I'm Kimberley and my hubby and I live in central Ohio. My favorite plant. Hmmmmmm...I guess Nicotiana is my favorite because of its heavenly smell at night, though I love violas, too!

Biel, Switzerland(Zone 7a)

Hi,i'm Gwist and I live in Biel,a little town on a lake between Basel and Bern,Switzerland.
My must-have plant is Clerodendron Ugandense(blue butterflies),but my cant-do-without plant is Columbine.I just love they way they spread and change every year.I think I started out with 6,but now..woohoo!
Gwist

Hey Doris,I just bought Million Bells today! What a nice one! I also found Surfinia Limelight with variegated leaves..I wish I saw it last week!
Gwist

Vinca

LOL, did I save you from the other side? remind me please

Mark

Great Falls, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi, I'm Meg. I live in Great Falls, Virginia. About 20 miles west of the nations capital, Washington, DC. My favorite plant would probably be hydrangea (big, blue)...brings back good memories (of Grandmother too) and also the lilac...they smell beautiful (I sound like go_vols)! The plant I would love to never see again, but unfortunately have creeping all over my property, is the ground cover, Chameleon....this plant is like the everready battery...it just keeps going.

markleysburg, PA(Zone 5a)

HelloIm Shirley and I live in Pennsylvania south of Pittsburgh in the mts. I am a retired pastor and medic supervisor and do national disaster response for Church World Service as a volunteer. Gardening is a hobby of my youth that I am returning to in y retirement. My have to plant is lilac-the old fasbioned strong scented ones of my younger days-it announces spring in the mts. The one in my yard is about 15 feet high and covered with blooms I dont have a can do without plant- I guess I love even the so called weeds because thy are part of nature. So many wonderful people here in Daves Garden.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey Gwist, Mine is yellow, I want to get back and get one of the cherry colored ones and they have sort of a bronzy color one too. They are really neat! I wonder what other colors they come in? I'm glad you let me know you have one so if I have a problem with mine or you do, maybe we can compare notes! Doris

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i live in springfield, massachusetts, in the western half of the state.
my favorite flower (that i know about so far :-) ) is the hydrangea. oh picking one is just so hard, its like picking just one favorite color. i'm an artist and there are just sooooooooooooooo many nice colors, just like i'm discovering there are sooooooooooooooooooo many nice flowers.
my least favorite, so far... :-) are "yew" sp? vines and then trees that grow in the woods behind my house. they and there roots invade everywhere. i even sawed down a couple and the dang trunks are sprouting, the little buggers. LOL guess they have to be tough to survive all the other stately trees that are in the woods.
thanks mark for a great thread.
debi z

Hey Doris,I have Carrilion(sp?)purple, and white which is really bronzy. I will ket yyou know how I get along with these.
Gwist

Lewes, Sussex, United Kingdom

I'm Rob and I am in Lewes in Sussex near the South coast of the U.K. I am 50 miles south of London, 8 miles East of Brighton or 10 miles West of Eastbourne. Favourite plant? Cuckoo flower or ladies smock. Favourite garden plant? any good auricula. Plant I would most like to see the back of? GROUND ELDER. Rob.

For me there is only one plant that matters, the zonal pelargonium - I'm a one-plant woman. The miniatures, the tricolours, the great big tall old ones with their huge heads, the cactus-flowered, the single flowered or double flowered - they're so forgiving (they need to be, with me), the seeds that are like miniature surprises - each one a potentially wonderful new plant - the range of colours, the plain velvety leaves and the leaves with brown, yellow, red splashed across the green. In the garden they come into their own, their leaves thicken, their heads grow sturdy, they simply blossom. As house plants they are superb also. You can grow them as tall as trees, if you have a mind to, or as tiny as tiny bonsais, if you're short of space. Each is unique, different, yet they all share such wonderful characteristics, they are gentle, kind and, like cats, quite happy on their own, but welcoming whenver they see you. There, have I convinced you?

Aliso Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi I'm Mike.

I live in Fremont, California, which is just north of San Jose, just south of Oakland and across the bay (in a southeasterly direction) from San Francisco.

Favorite: Any rose that's not a hybrid tea.
Most despised: Oxalis. The yellow one. I don't know the species name, but if I did, I'd use it as an epithet.

Mike

Hi, I'm Lily and I'm from Ireland, the south-east, though I live near the city now. My favourite plant is waterlilies, and I don't like Lupins, I don't know why. When I settle down, I want a house with a lovely long meadow behind it, full of all sorts of plants, wild and all. No lawn to mow.

ummmmmm a wildflower meadow! there aren't many left in the UK and Ireland. There is one about 15 miles from me but I have never got round to having a look.

dreams can come true! I hope 'cos I want a garden with a natural stream flowing in it

Mark

Hi, forgot to say where I was from - Dublin, Ireland. Any other Irish members out there?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.