where are you?

Hi, I'm Cash, from the garden spot of Okla. Bixby, Okla.
Sunflowers are my favorite, lots and lots of BIG SUNFLOWER
e-mail me Cash41S@aol.com

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm Cindee and I'm from Santa Cruz, CA, where everyone seems to have exquisite gardens cause everything seems to grow like crazy here. Santa Cruz is a coastal city 2.5 hours south of San Francisco and 45 minutes south of San Jose, a magnet for surfers.

I love any plants that are chartreuse (green-yellow) but I can't say I dislike any plants yet--I even like oxalis.

I have a beautiful Oxalis, so there! It's Oxalis magellanica, and it has tiny reddish waxy leaves and big white flowers. It grows between all the rocks in the rockery (OK, and between all the other plants, too), and it's covered in flowers now. There are lots of other nice Oxalis, too. I don't have them, but I want them.

Toronto, ON

Hi everyone, I'm Robyn. I live on Ward's Island just off the city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, in Lake Ontario. Thanks Mark for asking people to introduce themselves, especially those of us who usually browse. Currently I am obsessed with Lilies - all types - they love our sandy soil. I manage to keep to my Lily gardens in bloom from June to September. I don't see many Canadians here, are you also out there lurking in browse mode? Let's hear from you too - this is an amazing web site.

Robyn

This message was edited Monday, May 28th 10:16 AM

(Zone 5a)

Hi! I'm Samantha, from a little town in Ontario. Gee Robyn, we're almost neighbors! The plant (right now!) I'm most excited about is the Columbine group. I think they're awesome! The plant I'd most like to aquire is a Ginko tree. The one I most detest is the Dandelion!

This message was edited Monday, May 28th 1:12 PM

Hi, I'm Mo from Dublin, and my favourite plant is the zonal pelargonium. What am I talking about - my only plant! I'm a one-plant woman.

Hi, I'm Mo from Dublin, and I'm a bit forgetful. I keep forgetting that I've already posted to forums and posting again.

Ladysmith, BC(Zone 8a)

Hi I am Helen and live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia on the west coast of Canada - very temperate climate here, I have bananas and figs growing in my garden, do protect them in the winter with sacks around the plants.

My favourite plant is the iris have lots of them and most have been grown from seed by me.

Least favourite is the rhododendron, had two in the garden, when we bought the house last year. I got my daughter to yank them out with her 4x4 truck, I said she could have them and good riddence to them!

This message was edited Friday, Jun 1st 12:35 PM

Essex, United Kingdom

hello, i'm Sue from Essex, UK and have just joined today, I'm really enjoying the site but i find it a bit confusing, either it's me or the painkillers for my slipped disc! I'm a frustrated gardener whose back is stopping her from getting her hands in the soil. I can't quite work out if i can trade seeds with anyone or just in the UK, can you clarify for me please, also i'm stunned at how many people know so much about plants and seeds, i'm going to be lucky to trade anything because my descriptions are going to be more like - yellow plant no idea of name but quite pretty comes up every year!!
Anyway i'll give it a go. Favorite plants are roses and least fav is ornamental grass

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hi cottage gardener

you can trade with who you want when you want no matter where they are in this e-world.

have fun on daves

Mark

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Gwist, Got a new one, Trailing Blue. Beautiful deep blue. My yellow million bells doesn't like the sun, leaves all got yellow, so moved it into the shade. It's picking up right away, so even though the tag says sun, this one sure doesn't like it. Doris

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone, Hi read a lot of the posts on all the forums, but mostly hang out on the farm life forum. I live in Central Missouri in the United States. I have an 8-5 job but besides my wonderful family I love working on my farm. I have a few sheep and calves. I moved back to a farm next to the one I grew up on a few years ago. My brother lives there. I am slowly trying to build up my livestock so that when I retire I will have plenty to do I guess. I also love flowers and gardening. With all my hobbies I keep pretty busy.
CottageGardener, I have done some great seed trades with the UK. No problems. I have learned a lot about plants I already have, so when I trade I can try to give latin names. but I also will trade for stuff like my yellow iris for your purple iris type trades. Hope you enjoy Dave's as much as I do.

Hanover, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi, I'm Sue from Hanover, PA - a small town in south central
PA 85 miles north of DC. I'm having trouble typing because I
have an infected finger from a rose thorn! The roses look great even if my fingure doesn't! My favorite flower is lavender which is just beginning to flower here.

Milford, CT(Zone 6a)

Hi all, I'm from Milford, Connecticut. I live on the coast where the mouth of the Housatonic River meets the Long Island Sound. My backyard overlooks 840 acres of Audobon protected salt marsh and water and I am up on a little bluff. The wind is a constant factor here and the soil isn't so great. We have lived here for just under three years so the gardens are just starting to look like something. When we first got here there were no beds at all and the soil was so hard that when you jumped on the shovel you bounced right off. We had a heck of a time digging in those beds. My garden is always trial and error, but my goal is to create a habitat that is wildlife friendly and organic. I have a large upper-story of mature trees (oak, maple, etc.) so there is a fair amount of partial shade in a lot of the yard and fairly acid soil (still amending). My gardening style is English Cottage and if I had to pick just one plant (which is close to impossible)...well...every type of foxglove I can get my hands on!

Biel, Switzerland(Zone 7a)

Hey Doris,
Well the rain has finally stopped,so I will post a picture of my Million bells soon.That blue sounds lovely!My white(well,not really)and blue ones are in full sun,in a pot on top of my mailbox! The mailman rang the bell yesterday to apologize for breaking 2 flowers :).What will he do come September..probably hand-deliver the mail!
Gwist

Cedar Rapids, IA

Hi, I'm Julie from Iowa - the Heartland of America. My favorite flower is the hydrangea. The one plant that I can't live without is delphiniums. The one plant I could live without is stinging nettle. We have a bumper crop of it again this year due to a bad bag of birdseed. (You do get what you pay for.) This is a great thread to read!

This message was edited Tuesday, Jun 19th 10:24 PM

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Gwist! I'll be anxious to see your pictures when you post them. I'll bet your blue ones look pretty up on top of the mailbox! Yes, when the plants get bigger, your poor mailman, especially when he was upset about breaking 2 flowers!! He won't be able to find the door to put the mail in the box. Sounds like you're going to have hand to hand mail delivery! LOL. Doris

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

hi! I'm Lilith and I'm from Durham in the north east of england. i live out in the sticks next to fields and woodlands so it's really full of wildlife here.

The plants i couldn't live without would have to be my herbs in my herb garden, in particular the coriander, i just love the fresh lemon citrusy smell..

Can i ask a favour to anyone out there? Could anyone tell me how i can get rid of creeping buttercup from my lawns and borders, i can pull it out when weeding, but the lawn is full... short of relaying the turf is there anything else i can do? I'm not really keen on using herbicides and try to keep as organic as possible.

Essex, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hello - I'm Ros from rural mid Essex UK
My favourite plant has to be dicentra especially the smaller forms like bacchanalia. I'm very lucky living where I do as I'm not far from Beth Chatto's gardens - bliss!!!!!

Beth Chattos is on my list of places I must visit.

thanks for taking the time to post

Mark

Thanks for the thread Mark''I'm Sis and live on the prairie of Kansas' Tornado Alley it's called' It's farms as far as the eyes can see' Our community has under 100people and lots of dogs and cats'I've been to all 48 states and all of Canada with DH on a truck(18wheeler)for now 35 years'The temp was 112 yesterday,was 98 at 5am today' My favorite plant,sooo hard to choose Mark' The rose,Blaze to be exact for the fragrance and blooms'The least of course,Poison Ivy,Oak,it's a nasty one'''Haven't been across the big pond but my grandmother ALWAYS purchased a Irish Sweepstakes Ticket,didn't win though''Darn it'''Glad to meet all of you'Keep in touch' Sis'' Zone5 (NE Kansas)

thats some travelling Sis. I've been to 4. Arizona, Louisiana, Texas, Illinois.

Mark

Wewahitchka, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi, I live in NW Florida. About 30 miles east of Panama City.
Must have flower...Rosa eglanteria (sweet brier) Had one but lost it when it started to rain EVERY day.
Could do without "crab-grass" takes over everything when it rains.

Hi,I'm Pierre from Hartlepool on the north east coast of England.
Couldn't choose between lavender and rosemary. I really like the upright form of rosemary it has so many good qualities. My favourite lavender is stoechis(I think its called that).I have them both just outside the entrance to my greenhouse.I'm not fond of bindweed.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Hello Pierre! And welcome!!! I see you're a new member. Lots of friendly folk here.
You live fairly near me. I'm just south of the river in Middlesbrough. That's about 9-10 miles I think. I'm just about melting with this hot weather we're having.
Is Pierre real or a screen-name? Sounds French to me!

I won't mention a single word about the Hartlepool Monkey. Promise. Cross my heart and hope to ...

Diane

Hi All, I'm Kate from Middlesex, outside London. Live near to oak woodlands and have oak trees in every garden nearby. Favourite flower (for now, at least) is the hibiscus. I love the double ones, although there's way too much shade in my garden to grow as many as I'd like and everyone else's are in full bloom while mine are still thinking about it. Least favourite - scarlet tulips - they seem too formal.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

hello pierre, i used to live in hartlepool, on the headland, whereabouts are you? i'm now living in durham, (just outside).

Hello Lilleth,The headland is a cold and windy site for plants to flourish. I've got a bit more shelter at Foggy Furze . The cold north and east winds can still play havoc with my plants though.

HAYWARDS HEATH, Suss, United Kingdom

Hallo, everyone, in UK and beyond! I'm Jane from Haywards Heath, between London and Brighton. Have a tiny garden with a greenhouse, and love growing toms and herbs. My favourite plant wd have to be good ol' lavender, which I'm going to plant up in the even tinier front garden to smell nice for the passers-by. I'm enjoying getting to grips with a garden again having moved back after 7 years in Norway, with its 20-minute growing season. So it seemed. I miss the Northern Lights, 12 varieties of edible mushrooms in the forest, and elk in the garden, but, hey, there are FAR too many other compensations here in Blighty!

Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'm Elaine from Poole in Dorset. My favourite plants are irises. And roses. And ...

My least favourite plants are red hot pokers. And the red salvias you see in gardens and parks.

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hi my name is Elmer Fudd, my favourite plants are Crocosmia........

I could do without bindweed and blackbirds stealing or moving my plant labels........

I am from Lincolnshire on the east coast (well nearly).

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Hello, I'm Anke and I'm from The Hague which is in the west of The Netherlands, close by the sea.

This year I'm very much into Salvia's but next year there will be a new favourite, no doubt.

Preferably I would like to try every plant I can put my hands on but space keeps me limited!

I can do perfectly well without slugs and aphids, of which I have far too many!!!!!

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Hello,
my name is Brigitte and I am originally from Germany.

Since 1981 we have resided in the US state of Maine,they call it vacationland on our car license plate because it is so beautiful here.

My main hobby in gardening are roses but lately I have been intriqued by the beauty of morning glories which I will plant in containers this year.

(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone,

I'm Rannveig and I live in a small town just outside (10 min.) Reykjavik, the capital of Iceland. I still haven't met a plant I didn't like, but my newest obsession is roses so I don't think I could do without them. However it would be pretty hard to have nothing but roses here since they flower so late ;-) lol I could however do without most weeds, if I could only pick one it would have to be crawling buttercup. My neighbor's yard is filled with them and they don't respect boundaries.

Rann

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Mark how cheeky of you, Elmer Fudd indeed, lol, a 2001 thread! Bored again are we? Original poster is Mark too, thought you'd get away with it hey?

OK, I'm Her Royal Highness of countries many, depends how far back you want to go.

To choose a favourite plant is very difficult, but I will go with Camellia until I think of anything else to replace it, many come close.

I can't see the original question asking for a plant you can do without, but as it has become a question I will have to say... that nasty weed that keeps creeping into my beds, Sheep's Sorrel!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Where am I?

Sitting in front of my computer.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Lol Resin, that must be the most common location!

ooooooooooooooooo Sheep's Sorrell.................!!!!!!

Kissimmee, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi, I'm Madeleine originally from London but now in Florida - I just love the tropicals and have Brugmansia's, crepe myrtles and plumerias growing, I am trying to grow stuff from seed and loving every minute of it - Resin - you know how we have such amazing birds here - my feeders always have something.

LOL.........

Who am I and why am I in this box???

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.