Lavender Moonflower for Rebecca

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Hi Rebecca, finally was able to get a picture before it was too dark. Just gotta get a new camera. The color really doesn't come through that well though.

Thumbnail by DeeinFL
(Zone 8a)

Dee...thanks so much! I get a good idea how they will look now! BTW, I checked my vines again and I found glorious buds! I can hardy wait for blooms!

I will post a pic too...they are small buds but yours look huge! I wonder if it will take mine too much longer to bloom?

Thanks again!

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

Dee when this makes seed would you please trade with me for some. I have been looking for ages for the pink moonvine. A lot of people say they don`t exist. Thank you for the photo. Sure gives me new hope.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Dee, if you have any seeds after your other trades, I'd sure like to give a couple of them a place in my garden. That looks so pretty. If not, maybe next year. Thanks.

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

This thing makes tons of seeds. I will have plenty to go around, besides if I run out I will just get some more from my grandmother's house, that's were this comes from. The blooms on this are huge. The only thing with this is it blooms during the night. Mine open up just before dark and start closing early morning right after daylight. Why it is so hard to get pictures. I just love it though. Also, it is a late bloomer, this just started blooming last week. It likes to vine alot first.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Dee,
Save me a few seeds too!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

mee ttoooooooo

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

No problem!!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Dee.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks,I had asked about this earlier in the year and was confused by the answer....(not from you )

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Thanks Dee..

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

That is really pretty, mine is just starting to bloom, it takes those buds forever to open..Or maybe it just seems like it, lol..I wish had a digital camera..Mine is on my deck, covering a trellis and spilling over..It is on the same trellis with the white Moonflowers..Smells great and I can see them from my den doors at night..It's a shame the lavender doesn't smell also..
Larkie

Catoosa, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi,
I would like to have some seeds from this too, if there are enough, please. My sister grows the white, and I don't think she knows there are any other colors. I didn't until I saw them on here. :-)

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

No problem!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Me too, if you have a few extra! looks like you have lots of room for more vines! What do you have there running up your house for it to climb on?
thanks

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

No problem Kell, yes I have plenty of room out here, we just bought 1 and half acres last year so I am trying to fill it up. I tied twine from eaves and then anchored it to a piece of wood and buried the wood. Seems to like the hairy twine better than fishing line or string and you cant see it once it starts growing. by the way I have a daughter that lives out by LA and her name is Kelly (Kell)

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Can I get on the seed list too?? Please? That is so pretty!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Dee. I am Kelley! so no relation....LOL! Is she going to school or an adult on her own already?
You are so lucky. I wish I had 1 1/2 acres to fill up! What a great idea on how to grow vines. how big is the wood under the ground? I could do that on the side maybe! I have to figure out a way to get my husband to give mehis grass space!! Hairy twine (is tha tthe brown stuff that has little pieces of the twine sticking out on the sides?)probably looks better also than fishing line. I used fishing line to hold up tiGlets idea of copper tubing around wood, but I think the brown hairy twine would look more natural with the wood and copper. thanks

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Kell, yes she is going to school and married. She has been married for 8 years, no kids though and won't be (can't), she just got her Bachelor's Degree this past spring and is currently working on her Master's Degree and teaching credentials. She starts student teaching next week. Puffed up with pride here!! Anyway the piece of wood in the ground is only about 12 inches long and 2 inches thick but once it is buried it doesn't move. Yes the hairy twine is that brown stuff, vines seem to cling to that much better.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Well congratulations on a job well done! I am sure she will be a great teacher and this way she will have lots and lots of children. What a great profession! I bet you are very proud.

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Yes I am really proud of her. She has been working full time and going to school full time. She has one 1 left to work then the teaching starts. Kids just love her and she loves them, shame there won't be any of her own, but these will be her kids.

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

I have the I. muricata "lilac moon flower"
from Japan. wonder if it is the same??
Larry

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

But she is not letting that huge disappointment rule her world! That can be hard to do. so good for her! I wish her a great career. The school system sure needs young adults like your daughter.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Larry, is yours a climber too? Dee's looks so nice. You are going to have to post some pictures. Would love to see some of your glories too.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Dee wow that is pretty. Looks like the seed list is long but I would love some seeds if you have enough to spare. The naner from the RU is doing great.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow! Pretty plant! I'm jealous!
Dee, my white moonflowers will bloom on a cloudy/overcast day. Maybe you can get a good picture on a day like that, eh?
Hope you're doing well!

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

burgie
i will see what i can do
i think every bloom has made seed so far :-)
mine doesn't seem to have that heavy of foliage
as yours??

Larry

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Am I too late to ask for seeds? I missed this, don't know how, but I did.
It's pretty!! Is it fragrant?

Northern Piedmont, NC(Zone 7b)

Dee, I would love a few seeds of this beauty if you have enough. I have the white moonflower vine blooming now, and the lavender would look beautiful with it next season.
Jean

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Cala, will put you down, unfortunately it doesn't have a smell, but it sure is pretty with the moon shining down upon it.

Shoe, we had an overcast afternoon, then got about 10 drops of rain, phooey, went out to try to take pictures but them babies were closed up tighter than a fist. Now it is dark and they are open, me thinks they might be saying ninner,ninner.. Bad enough when you have a smart elec kid but the plants too!!

Rose Hill, NC(Zone 8a)

LATS TRADE A FEW SEEDS JUST TO SEE IF THERE ARE AND DIFFERENCES NEXT SUMMER?
I want to know myself
Larry

send me your address
will give you a little something extra :-)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

hah!...Dee, you got me giggling here! hahah.."ninner ninner!"...hah, I can just hear it!
τΏτ

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey I want a few seeds also if any are left. That is so pretty .

Pennsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Dee,

I would love to have some seeds if there are any left. Please snd your addy and the amount of postage. Thanks for the offer!!

Dolores

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

No problem, I will holler "uncle" when I think there won't be enough to go around.

Shoe, did you want to try some of these too?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

maybe....could be...hmmm...they sure are purty....but, I'm shy. If you set some other folks up with them I can wait (another year!).
They sure are pretty! You should be proud!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I didn't hear uncle yet...me,oh me please

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Shoe, don't be shy, just come right out and say it. The first time is always the hardest, but I am sure others can help and cheer you one.

Will put you down just in case you loose your shyness.

CC, I already put you down.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

awww, shucks!...blushing here....well, okay. But only if I can send you someting just as special. Just say the word.!

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Dee, haven't the "uncle call", could you please save one for me???
thank you

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.