A Bug's Life

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Talk about La Dolce Vita!!! I'm referring to our pretty Japanese beetles (Yuk!). Don't they just have a charmed life though!! They get to eat the loveliest of plants, flowers, trees. Then they have a love-in (cheeky devils) and leave all that mess behind, not to mention the garden in tatters. I wonder what their life span is!! Seems to me they must be worn out after all that frenzied activity!!! :-)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ahhhhh....I remember those days. 'Twas the life of O'Reilly! (or was that Oh Really?) But alas, I'm too worn out too remember too far back.

I can't remember who La Dolce Vita is but it sounds like that little girl I used to have a crush on in the sixth grade. (Didn't her parents invent the Vita-mix?)

Anyway...ahhh yesss, to bask in the glory and lifestyle of the Japanese Beetles, listening to their music, watching their ever-present contributions to sobriety, er I meant society, and eventually tuckering themselves out, only to return once again next year giving us one more episode in life to look forward to! Ain't nuttin' like it!

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Y'all need some guineas! They won't eat all of the critters but they sure do make a dent in em' :-)
I saw one of my guineas take down three at a time, then go back and eat them, and start out for more! And the guineas noises also keep the deer startled and away from the garden. Course I haven't had any rain, and now am under mandatory class V water restricitons so Nothing is growing anyway. :-( But the guineas are a great addition to any little farm/garden.

just my 2 cents worth :-)

d

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

lol Shoe - The Sweet Life!!!! But you knew that all the time!! You're right about life not being dull or words to that effect. If it aint one thing it's another and I'm also getting too old to run after all those critters!! As for the guineas belledonna, would anything dare to eat them - especialy in my parts?? Wouldn't they too become another critter's dinner?? Just asking cause I don't know. :-)

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

Naw, they make so much racket nothing would bother them! You would want to protect the little ones, but full grown they are pretty swift.

:-)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep, fastest things on the farm! Good bug eaters (especially ticks!), and good watchdogs.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well now, might just have to get me some of these little angels then!! :-)

Hampstead, NC(Zone 8a)

If you know anyone who fly fishes they will love you! The downey feathers have little dots on them and make excellent fly fish bait.

d

Cherry Valley, IL(Zone 5a)

Our local newspaper reports that the only good news about Japanese beetles is that they disappear from an area after fifteen years! I'm not sure that qualifies as good news.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

They disappear because there's nothing to eat!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.