Gro-Lights

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 10)

I have a small gro-light setup, but have found that not everything I've tried seems to take to this method of cultivation.

I haven't been able to find a lot of information about growing plants indoors under full-spectrum lights. There's an old book called "Gardening Indoors Under Lights" but it doesn't have a lot of useful information. Is there anything that works well with a light setup, other than African violets? Does anyone know of helpful books on this subject? Thanks.

anne

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Anne -

There are many plants that thrive under ordinary fluorescent tubes. Most of these plants are in the low and medium light categories. Plants generally listed as requiring high light, tend not to do as well under artificial lights.

You didn't indicate which type of grow lights you have. However, grow lights of the incandescent type tend to generate too much heat. That means you cannot place them very close to the plants. They are also very expensive to operate for the 12+ hours per day that is required.

If you are using a fluorescent type grow light, then your plants may not be close enough or directly under the bulbs. Or perhaps you are not keeping them on for most of the day.

If you have some specific plants that you are having trouble with, I may be able to advise you more specifically. Knowing more about your light setup would also be helpful.

I have double 20 watt full spectrum fluorescents (that is, two lamps to a shelf), adjustable for the plant height. There are humidity trays underneath. The lights are on a timer and are lit for 16 hours a day at this point.
Herbs didn't do well - I got quite a few small bugs. They were barely holding their own, so I put them outside. A number of small flowering plants didn't do that well either - a carnation and a couple of others I don't recall the names of :-( The herbs and flowers were on 14 hrs of light.
I have a miniature rose that is thriving but not blooming much. (the change to 16 hours was for the rose) Rose people seem to disagree about whether they will do much under lights. Mine grows lots of nice green - it's in good shape, but flowers are rare. It will probably go outside with the herbs next.
I've grown African violets under lights in the past with fine results, but that's probably the best method for them. I guess herbs need more light?
Thanks,
anne

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Herbs and most flowering plants (AV's are an exception) do require high light, so they tend not to fare well under artificial light. Phalaenopsis and lady slipper orchids do well under fluorescents. If I think about it long enough, I am sure I can come up with some other flowering plants that would also do well with your setup.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I have bromeliads in my light, along with a small strawberry pot full of succulents, and they're both doing great .... One of my succ's, kalanchoe, won't quit blooming. *giggle* I thought it was on the way finishing a bloom cycle, so I cut off the flower stem. Within two weeks, it had grown a new shoot, and is blooming again. I also had a epiphyllum bloom soon after it came to live with me. There's a jewel of opar in the pot that has bloomed once, also. Finally, the brom's are still babies, but they seem to be growing very well.

HTH (both you and Will *grin*),
-Jennifer

Thanks to both of you --hmmm, succulents - wonder if portulaca would do anything. I mostly don't care for succulents because, as they're low-water, half of LA is landscaped with them. I was shaking my head over a monster weed of a jade plant in the yard, remembering that people in many places actually like them. Portulaca is pretty common here too, but I like the flowers. My mother used to call it "rose moss".

I got discouraged with African violets when my favorite AV nursery burned down, but someone showed me a web page or two with lovely ones, so I'll probably start growing them again.

Hadn't thought of orchids, I must say - nice idea. I saw a "chocolate orchid" at my local nursery - unlike most I've seen, it was fragrant. Might that do OK?

Thanks again,
anne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.