SOLVED: Feeling foolish - What is this?

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm always very careful to label plants but somehow missed this one when it was planted last year. I do remember it almost died during the drought. What a comeback? I think it may be a Chrysogonum virginianum. Can anyone verify this id. Thanks so much. Diane

Thumbnail by Verdesign
Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

That's what it looks like in my Botanica book. Your's looks like the flowers are a little fuller and more rounded at the tips of the petals. Maybe it's a hybrid.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Diane - you are absolutely right. I have one growing right now!! Flowers it's head off all summer!

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Louisa,

Where do you have yours planted? Taylor lists this as a shade plant (which I didn't realize at the time it went in the ground here). Mine is doing great in full sun right now, but as mentioned before, last summer it almost died in the midst of summer. Should I move it to partial shade now or just see how it does now that it is more established. Have you divided yours? Great little plant - wish I knew where mine came from -- someone apparently gave it to me and I just stuck it in the ground! Thanks to you both for helping verify the id. Hate it when I lose track! Diane

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Diane, you might not be aware (and why should you) that I don't have a garden right now. Moved down from Tidewater to this area and renting a house right now while our new one is being built. We move in end May. Soooo.....I have all my treasures in pots - roses, perennial, trees, shrubs etc. When I moved down here I had 200, it has grown to 300 now. So if you hear me talk about my beloved plants its because I don't have a garden and have nothing else to talk about except my potted plants. (I think everyone is getting bored with me and my pots!) :-) Anyway, about the plant I saw it growing in full sun, no shade whatsoever, near a roadway (hospital grounds) and it bloomed all summer long. I wanted this plant for so long. I have had to repot it into a larger container because it was wilting and it is doing fantastic now in FULL SUN. So it maybe that the soil needs to be kept moist. My label also says what yours does (I just checked it out this minute) so maybe I too need to research this plant. I have to go out right now, but will look into this tonight! I don't want to lose this plant - love it too much.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow, ya'll. That is a really pretty plant. It blooms all summer, Louisa? How big does it get?

What IS it with gardeners and plants - we're never satisfied with what we have, and always find more things that we suddenly "NEED" (or want, if I were being honest with msyelf, LOL!!!)

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's the link - common name Golden Star

http://hg.women.com/homeandgarden/plants/chryvirg.htm

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well - if you say so ....lol! Thanks!

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Just a note about this plant - I planted a small sprig last spring. You will note that the clump is over a foot wide this year. Certainly glad I didn't lose this charmer! Now, wonder about the seed and/or divisions. Taylor says it can be divided in Spring so may try it in the shade and see how it performs. You are so right Go_Vols, I've never had a garden that didn't NEED at least a few more plants.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

My book says - it's easy to grow & can spread over a large area of ground {(so watch out - it sounds like it might be inavasive)}. It prefers light shade and and a rather peaty, moist soil. Propigate from seeds or divisions. Hardy zones 6-9 (btw - this books tends to be conservative with hardiness), and common names are "Golden Knee" or "Gaolden Star"

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Verdesign - Remember what I said about how well the plant was thriving since I repotted it. And how great it was doing in full sun!! Well......it was watered yesterday and the soil was quite moist still, but.... it had wilted by the time I got home from the store, about mid-day. So I moved it to a semi-shaded postion and now it has fully perked up! Make of that what you will....lol!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.