What seems to sell best at your Farmer's Market?

There are a total of 51 votes:

Produce, mainly hybrid varieties
(19 votes, 37%)
Red dot

Produce - mostly heirloom or open-pollinated varieties
(8 votes, 15%)
Red dot

Cut herbs - fresh or dried, ready-to-use
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Potted herb plants
(1 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Cut flowers
(2 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Trees or shrubs
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Perennial or annual plants
(6 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Homemade items
(5 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Other
(10 votes, 19%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Should of had two choices, our market runs for 6 months, so we start the season off with plants. We specialize in perennials. We sold about 6000 in May & June. We sell a seed started plant in a 4" pot for $2.00 or a flat of 18 for $32.50. We start the season with around 140 varieties.
After July 1st we are all vegetables. Use mostly hybrids because of high quality & production. Ours is 18 acres of intensely planted gardens. 19 years of serching out the good varieties. Still try some new ones each year. Some favorites with our customers; Derby beans, Kermit eggplant,
Thunder cucumber, Dusky eggplant, Presto tomato, OG50 tomato, Magda cousa squash, & of course Norland Red and Cascade white potatoes. Not sure if the potatoes are hybrids, but oooooo so good!
Bernie

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

My biggest seller is my goat cheese.Right now I am just making Chevere cheese. I will soon be making feta. The folks are actually waiting for me to get set up so they can buy from me. Last year I did really well with cut flowers, but didn't have my goats at the time. I also sell perennials and herbs. My jams are making me more money this year than last year. I love being a part of our Farmers Market.

I should mention that the biggest money making person at our market is the seafood lady. She sells crabs. There is long line for her goods. She sells hard shell, soft shell and stuffed crabs. MMMMM

This message was edited Monday, Jul 22nd 3:56 PM

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

I have never been to a farmers market.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I go to the farmers markets around here whenever I get into town on a day they are having them. Ours are almost 100% vegetables, and almost no one grows heirlooms, so my vote was for produce, mostly hybrid.

Maybe I should think about getting even more serious about growing heirlooms and see how well they would sell here. I'd almost have a monopoly on that market.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

veggies are the best sellers but i had to put other because everyone sells the hybrid i am the only one to sell heirloom but we all sell at an equal rate. homemade cakes and breads sell great too along with plants.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Our little farmers market is popular for the produce and plants but the one booth that always has a long line and sells out every week is one that sells home made breads. Yummy stuff and worth the wait in line!

Versailles, CT(Zone 7a)

Would you believe it - no farmer's markets here. I turn green when I go home and see the adverts for the weekly markets. You don't know how lucky you all are! Anything you get from a market stall here will be expensive, even if it is direct from the grower/producer. This is partly why I grow as much as possible myself!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I checkd "other" just because nearly all those choices work good for me but at various times of the season (except homemade items, cuz I don't sell any).

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

We have a very popular Farmers Market in town; every Saturday morning from July through early September. There are several thousand people who attend every week. There are about 30 sellers every week. Everything is sold, but it has to be focused on produce or pre-made food with an emphasis on food.

Some perennials plants are sold, especially early in the season. Fresh cut herbs do not sell, neither do potted herb plants. My group sells herbal products which are very popular: vinegars, seasoning mixes, mustards, potpourri, etc.

There is no distinction between any of the produce varieties, most of the sellers are "truck gardeners" who buy truck lots of produce from wholesalers. The few sellers who sell things they raise themselves are the most popular, but they don't have their varieties labelled, usually. It would take a real expert to tell what variety a snap bean is from just looking! Same with sweet corn, tomatoes, sweet peppers, etc.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Customers know the difference. They will come back to you when they find a variety they like. Our market is set up so all produce MUST be raised within 40 miles of the market & by the farm that owns the membership. No truck loads of purchased "stuff". We also have about 25 growers. Our market is held Tues & Thurs Afternoons & Sat morning. Don't know the numbers, but must be in the thousands on Sat.

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

sugar_fl, you have mail!

Our farmers market sells a big range of produce and all the stalls seem well attended so I voted other.

The meat, game and honey produce stalls are fantastic.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7a)

This is probably a question for DAVE. How do I access 'threads' generated by past 'questions of the day'. Please respond through my email. Thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.