My Lucky Bamboo

(Zone 5a)

I promised that I would post a picture, I know the one with the other plants is not that clear but that is how thick the haze is here this morning...you could almost cut it with a knife.

Thumbnail by windsurffer
High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Kit, lucky bamboo or Money plant as far as i know is only planted indoor on a well lite window. not outside. correct me if i am wrong.

pls. go back on the other thread Molly started, i sent some url's that give description and how they are grown, if not mistaken.

edited to add url ... http://www.plant-care.com/PlantCareTips/070701.asp

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 21st 12:04 PM

(Zone 5a)

MaVie I don't really know but mine are doing just fine outside and seem to love it. I break all kinds of rules when it comes to plants. Most plants they say should be growing inside I aways take them outside in the summer, they don't have a problem being outside at all.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

guess what Kit, all my house plants are outside in semi-shady spot. i never place them in the direct sun, for fear of leaf burn. when weather permits, and begin to warm up outside, i take all my house plant to dwell outside.

no offense, but bamboo plant, both leaves and stems should be green in color, not yellow or brown.

plant revered by the asian culture has meaningful meaning/s that is supposed to affect one's outlook in life. call it superstition or what not, some do feel the diferent effect on how they live. have u ever wondered why Feng Shui has now influence the Western World? those Feng Shui expert are not too cheap to hire either.

(Zone 5a)

Oh no offence taken, I did take it out of direct sun and put it in the shade. I am having problems with the little kittens here attaching almost every plant in my garden so I had to end up bring it inside. That's when it started to turn a little yellow, I thought it was normal. As most plants will loose a few leaves that turn brown. Now is there anything I can do to stop it, or to get it back to it's state of green?

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

know what Kit? this lucky bamboo have their own fertilizer where they sell this plants. i have tried Miracle Grow on the water. it does not seem to do the job. i do not know what formula they sell on the chinese store. next time i go, i will try get a small bottle. most of MG formula i got, doesn't allow the plant to be as green as the stores have them. will let u know how it will work and let u know how much they sell too, soon as i get some.

mine are growing by the window. southwest side of the house. in the middle of the day, i partly close the blind cause it gets too hot. one thing i did not know though, i keep changing the water. what i read from the web is to replished water supply only! and not to change the water. i will keep observing and keep u posted on what comes up.

(Zone 5a)

I keep my water changed, but I think I will try fish emulsion watered down to a weak solution and see if that works. I still want to hear what happens to the forumla your going to use.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

It is pretty, I saw several stores has it sell most of them sell cost anywhere start $5.00 to $20 dollars depend on sizes , I did went to Asain store a month ago that they want sell for one medium size for $12.99 curly one like your's so I want wait to find other place later so one of just build new store name "May Orinteal Store" as soon it open ready and will go stop by check it out to see if they have sell , I hope so.

(Zone 5a)

We have the straight ones here and they want a fourtune for them to. I was going to get some to go with it but couldn't see spending any more money on something that I don't know if it will last in my house over the winter. Maybe next year if I still have this one.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Lucky bamboo, botanically known as Dracaena sanderana, grows in water like cut flowers, but will last for years. It can also be planted. I think dracaenas are pretty easy plants... look at 'Corn Flowers'. I have 2 vases of Lucky Bamboo and believe the Feng Shui stuff about it. Besides, I love greenery in the house and these do well in low light as well as bright light. Here's a link (from U. of Fla. Research) for dracaenas, with Dracaena sanderana listed near the bottom.
http://www.ifas.ufl.edu/~apkweb/folnotes/dracaena.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.