What is your favorite annual and why?

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

The starter petunias I planted at the end of April are now growing strong and blooming beautifully! And same with my geraniums - and ROSES!! Love this time of year!

Clarkston, MI(Zone 5b)

Geraniums are my all-time first choice andI would say impatiens, because they are so easy to grow and care for.
Petunias would be next and anything that flowers and puts lots of color in my garden.
nanabest1
Clarkston, MI
Zone 5b

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I am loving my Knockout roses this year. So many blooms!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Calendula - reliable re-seeder
4o'clocks - reliable re-seeder and humingbird moth attracter
Nicotiana - reliable re-seeder and humingbird moth attracter

Herewith pic of Calendula - 'Porcupine'

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

A new variety of Nicotiana - 'Tinkerbell'

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Humingbird Moth over bed of Nicotiana (var. 'Sensation') and 4 o'clocks.
Photo is from last year. They seem to arriving in August & Sept.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I think peony is my all time favorite.I only have a large double white,but I have been dividing it,and sharing w/friends and neighbors,for the last 45 Yrs., since I moved it from the old home place.I have a very special meaning that goes with it,back during WWII,when we kept German war prisoners,on the farm, and one use to teach me about the peony,and how far it went back in time,from China , then Germany,etc.And it has such a special meaning to me,although I was around five years old , I can still see Chris Lustic explaning the peony.Thanks for the memory,Mike

OOPS!!, I have a perinial!!! Favorite annual--zinia,sorry,happens w/ age..Mike

This message was edited Jul 8, 2006 8:18 PM

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Poppies and sweat peas are my most favorite.
I cant wait to have some more growing in fall.

Thumbnail by steph_gem
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

beautiful pic Steph....I would have to say sweet peas, stocks, and snapdragons and torenia because it likes the shade in summer here.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Just found this thread and all the pretty pictures!

My favorite annual this summer is the 'tassel flower' or 'Emilia coccinea' which I first saw at Cincinnati's Eden Park gardens growing among all the perennials. The gardener said everyone asks about it--apparently it is an old fashioned simple self-seeding annual. Very effective among daylilies, daisies and other cottage garden plants.

http://monticellostore.stores.yahoo.net/600205.html

Oh, and I like, too, because it's one of the first flowers I grew from seed successfully (by wintersowing!)

Thumbnail by tabasco
Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Tabisco Is that ever called bachlors button?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I don't think so. I only know it as 'tassel flower' and 'batchelor button' is blue (I think). (the flower in the foreground of my photo is a poppy).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.