Perennial or tropical flowers
(8 votes, 8%)
Red dot

A mixture of foliage and flowers
(43 votes, 47%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a mixture - some of my favorites are Ivy Geraniums, Rabbit's Foot Fern, Moses in the Cradle, Burro's tail, Spider Plant, Wandering Jew, Boston Ferns & Bouganvilla.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I put annual flowers since my only hanging basket this year are Martha Washington Geraniums.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Dave, you left out the DEAD plants category!!!!!!!!!!

Kathleen we don't have dead plants in cyber space do we LOL

Our hanging baskets are a gaudy festival of technicolor floral disarrangement. We put anything and everything that will fit in there.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I agree we need a Dead plant catagorie here! I think they were a mixture but brown is brown and dead is definately dead! In fact the mail carrier just commented on my "poor baskets all died" I told her the baskets were fine but the plants didn't make it!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

It is hard to vote on this one, as it was on some of the back voting booth subjects. I plant vines, annuals, tropicals, and an occassional perennial in my baskets. Depends on how much room I have left in the sun. Basically, my baskets are tropical vines and geraniums.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

I started off with both in my baskets, but everything died! I told them to go ahead and hang there all dead and brown, and they will find clumps of artificial flowers in their midst! (stupid plants!)

Warkworth, Northumbe, United Kingdom

million bells, non stop begonia, dark blue lobelia and orange geranium.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

djm906 , I felt bad about all those now brown plants in my baskets untill I realized that Brown is a color too so now I just think of them as a study in shades of tan and brown. Afterall it is not everone that can say " I grew these dead plants myself!"

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Zany, thanks for your reply! I now feel justified!! Brown and tan ARE beautiful!

Hamilton, Canada

My baskets are a mixture of coleus, cinnamon vine (chinese sweet potato vine), passifloras, geraniums, nasturtiums, striped spider plants, various morning glories, blue lobelias, and variegated phildendrons.

Vols forgot the dead plants - not me. She manages the voting booth. :)

In my hanging baskets I grow lots of burro's tail and some other funky trailing cactus thing. Also, variegated Sun Smile morning glories, and Jewels of Opar (Talinum). This is my first year growing in hanging baskets.

(Zone 6a)

Actually, my personal hanging baskets (three of them) contain cherry tomatoes growing out the bottoms......and they look fantastic (taste great too). I water them twice a day with Miracle Grow.....just hoping the weight of the large vines does not get too great for the hanging baskets.
Am using Sungold, Isis Candy, and Sweet 100 in them. By the way, the Sungolds are averaging 3/4 in. diameter grown by this method....don't know what they average in the ground.

Owen

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

We have hanging baskets with one plant in each only.. Petunias, huge Torenia, Impatiens, Dianas, Pelargonium and Dianthus. Also have 2 hanging paskets inside, which have Beaucarnea, and a pot with Chlorophytum and 2 different Tradescantias :)

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

My neighbor talked me into hanging baskets this year for the first time.
Some of them made it, others had to be put into the ground to grow more successfully.
I have a chenille plant and a swedish ivy that is variegated and also a blacky sweet potato.
I have also a mixture of petunias, candy striped portulacas, which are doing the best of anything.
Also in the baskets are various forms of vincas which also do well in the heat.
To fill in empty space I planted cypress vine and morning glory seeds in the middle of a few of them.
When it gets too darn hot to keep them moist enough, I just unhook them and place them on the ground in the shade until the weather gets a little more cooperative.
I also have a fan flower plant in one of them. I like the looks of it and it stays pretty as long as I drown it with water every evening and morning.
But next year, I think I will go back to planting in the ground instead. I have a hard time enough weeding and don't have the time to keep up with watering individual baskets all the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.