Job's Tears

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Job's tears or coix lacryma-jobi is actually an annual grass native to southeast Asia and it makes a hard gray seed that people can use as beads. Anyhow I planted maybe 15 seeds in the greenhouse with no extra heat about 6 weeks ago. Nothing coming up, the seed was really hard, I had presoaked them for a couple of days. Will they still come up?

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Don't give up on them yet. Did you nick the seeds before you soaked them?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

No, I didn't, I did wonder about that? Is there still hope they might come?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I just soak mine, poke them in the dirt and up they come! LOL Starting them indoors, bottom heat does help. Mine also self seed outdoors. If it is not too late for you to get them going, let me know and I can mail you more.
Michele

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

I nicked and soaked the ones I planted this year and didn't get any to come up. Boo hoo

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I thought these were a part of the gourd family, no? Anyone have any pictures?

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Here ya go Morph http://plantsdatabase.com/go/1868/

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Mystic :) These are exactly what I was hoping to grow this year! And, I am glad to see those pictures. Now I'll have a better idea of what to expect!!!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

I have seeds if anybody needs any.

Bowie, AZ(Zone 8B)

Mystic, I would love to have some seed. Will email you.
farizona

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Frances I got ya covered I mailed them out today. Enjoy!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I tried starting some of these in the house back in March. Like Lenjo I got nothing! No sprouts no nothing. Then I took the tray out side once it started getting warm and just kinda gave them water every now and then. I had pretty much given up on them and finally quit watering them. Well, since we had almost a solid week of rain last week, I noticed that they are up and growing!! So Lenjo don't give up on them!! They will grow if you keep them wet every day. These were in the shade too. I am going to let the roots get a little stronger and then I'll harden them off and plant them out in the beds.
Keeping my fingers crossed for ya Lenjo

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

I've had only two germinate ~ does anyone have any left still? Is it too late to start them yet for this year? I was really hoping to get enough to have beads to add to gourd creations that loom in my future somewhere...

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Morph, did you try soaking them first and using bottom heat? I may have some extra seedlings from self seeding.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Yes, I did soak for two days and also nicked them. No bottom heat though. Should I try that for the ones that haven't sprouted yet? Do you think they may still pop-up? The other two emerged awhile ago so I figured the others were duds...

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If I don't have a ton of extra seedlings, I will start you some. Mine self seed, but I have a sandwich bag full too. :) How can we ever understand why some things just go nuts, while others we can't grow from seed? LOL Who has ever heard of a sandpaper bug?? Giggle

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Seed or Mystic, I'm in dire need! Of the two that germinated, only one seems to be surviving the colder weather we've been having! If you have any, I certainly am interested and will trade in exchange for your desires (if I have them :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey Deb, how many you wanting to grow? I can probably dig you up some seedlings when you come to visit. If I get a chance before then, I will pot you some. :)

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Perhaps only two more to be safe? I thought the beads would be really neat to using in gourd crafting, but since I haven't grown these before, I'm not really sure how many seeds/beads a single plant will produce?

Edited to add that I just read your plant database comments, Seed. My plant is in full sun. Maybe that's why the first didn't like it too much?

This message was edited Monday, Jun 2nd 1:34 PM

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I usually plant them in little clumps of three or more. I get enough from a clump to fill a snack size ziploc baggie. They will do okay in full sun with plenty of water. My personal experience is that they do better and get bigger with a bit of shade.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Badseed, the seeds you sent me early this past spring are doing Wonderful!! In fact I think they all came up and are now about 10-12" tall! I can't wait to see the beads they get on them, I'll surely be showing off somw pics then!!
Thanks again!!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Wanted to show Badseed that the seeds you sent are doing Wonderful seeeee!!

Thumbnail by MOLLYBEE
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Molly, you are a good seed mommy. :) I have not planted any in a few years. I get just enough self grown seedlings to keep my happy. They are very easy to dig up and move around. I hope you enjoy those!!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

O I'm sure I will enjoy them, in fact I already am! I just can't wait for them to "seed" off so I can see the beads everyone is talking about. I like them because they look like grass..well I guess they are a grass but I like them no matter what they are LOL Hope mine self sow themselves too, I wouldn't mind having them from now on!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Molly be careful what you wish for. lol I am pullin them up everywhere this year. lol Where we had so much rain it has washed all my mulch out from where they where planted so it's anybodies guess where they will come up . lol

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Yikes!! Guess if that happens I'll be trading them out with someone LOL Thanks for the heads up!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.