West Coast trip

Valley Village, CA

Found Semps and Sedum, in British Columbia, Washington, Oregon. What is not obtainable is available in ordinary nurseries up the coast because they are cold weather plants and that is where they grow. I hope I will be able to keep them alive here. I just love them all. I was thinking of all of you when I purchased them, because from time to time several of you are looking for them. It was a delightfull trip. Norma

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi Norma
Sounds like you had a great time! I haven't been on any trips yet but I still seem to keep finding new sedums, LOL.

Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

Norma!! I'm crushed!! You didn't come to see your 'greatest enemy'in B.C.
Where were you?
Barbara

Valley Village, CA

I didn't say much on the forum, because you said trips are boring. This BC trip wasn't, traveling with the DH is fun, at 75 the old man is something else, a good sport, puts up with me, enjoyed the people that I introduced him. I think he had fun also. We ate and ate, and ate. All the hotels were great. Our host and hostess were wonderful, I hope to make the trip again very soon. If I do it again, I would stop at more local nurseries. Barbara, how close to the border are you? Norma

Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

I'm about 140 miles due north of Marina and the bird on a new super highway!

Valley Village, CA

How close are you to Green Lake? I love it, the clouds, the cool, clean air, the trees, the ferns, fauna, we saw no wild animals, except a beautiful blue bird. No car trouble, no lost keys, we didn't even leave anything in hotels rooms.
the trip was timed perfectly and charted out not to waste a second of time. DH was able to see what he wanted and there was plenty of time for my interest. I even got a new summer outfit. Didn't find any drift wood however, stopped at several beaches, couldn't lift the huge driftwood trunks that were georgous, they wouldn't even fit in the bed of a pickup. Norma

Valley Village, CA

We found a wonderful little restaruarant in Long Beach Washington. Has a nice flower planter in front and Antique stores all over the place. The best shell fish place on the whole trip. Prices seemed reasonable for what was served.
We ate at a British hotel in Cal. It is very famous, called Ben Bow Inn right on 101, the food was good, but I have had better, a bit pricy. Right at the beinning of our red tree forest.
A huge retail nursery was outside of E Vacouver on High Way 7 East of Vancouver in the subsurbs. If you like Chineses there is a famous restarurant a few blocks south of the civic center in Stockton. In Seattle, on 24th street there is a faboulous Italian restaruarnt, overlooking lake Mercer,looks like a hole in the wall, this name I can find for you as a client took us there for dinner. Norma

Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

Well Norma, -how about telling me now to propogate the taller succulents like Morchen and frosty morning? By leaves with stem heal?
Barbara
Wow, -is it ever finally hot in B.C.!!

Valley Village, CA

What species are you referring? I don't recognize the names that you used above. Marina gave me a plant that she called an Sedum, it grows like one, however it has the flowers of the Aeonium, 8-10 part,it is fuzzy all over. It grows like a miniature tree, The leaves look like a Sedum, I'm afraid it will go dead after it flowers, I did send off a piece to England to be identified. What is frosty morning, species please ? Try with a leaf and a stem cutting. Perhaps you should also watch for roots coming down after iyou take the cutting, and perhaps you may want to wait until just before it starts the growing season. Now to look up Morchen. Norma

Vancouver, BC(Zone 7a)

Hi again. These I think are tall (24-36") stonecrop hybrids. Probably the better known one is "Matrona", -which I believe took an All-American prize a couple years back.
Oh, -I'm putting in a film to disc. I'll take a picture and e-mail it to you.
Hey, another question. Do you let sempervivums bloom? And if so, why? The big stalk just dies after right? And so, does it harm the surrounding plant as it dies? I have to think in a big bed the flowers look pretty weird.
I received about 16 new species of semps yesterday from a super lady in Ontario. They are pretty small yet, but I'll let you know how I get along with them.
Cheers, Barbara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.