SOLVED: Any ideas as to what this is?

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

I must have planted this last year, but I have no idea what it is, and don't remember purchasing it. Its in bloom now in zone 6A.

Thumbnail by kat7
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom

Kat it looks like a HELLEBORUS to me.

Aliso Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

It's a Helleborus x hybridus (Orientalis Hybrid).

Mike

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Jimson weed is of the genus Datura of which there are many species. There are many hybrids out these days with single and double purple,yellow and white flowers. A relative of datura and often confused with it is Brugmansia. These can grow to almost treelike proportions in warm climates and have long drooping trumpet shaped blooms in white, pink, yellow, orange and all shades in between. Daturas and Brugmansias are not releated (not even closely) to helleborus.

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

THANKS everybody!!
Kat

Well Patty, I don't know the story of Jamestown weed per se, but I do know that if you smoke/eat jimson weed the results are less than desirable!

Hate to burst a bubble but I think Jimson weed got its name from the old Jamestown settlement...the inhabitants were starving to death and ate this...on arriving on the scene someone somewhere in a history book said they were a crazed bunch..."sitting in trees and yewling like monkeys..." or something like that. Somebody help me out here.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Just in case you don't know! The seeds of the hellebore can cause sores and blisters on fingers for some people, please wear gloves if you collect the seeds!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.