washed out bridal veil and gynura .

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I think from too much light, and I'm looking to get some agreement here .. :)

My purple passion (gynura) is soaking up water like mad. I've never had one live this long before, so I wasn't sure of it's care. I'm getting better about keeping it watered (evenly moist all the time?), and chopped off my first round of flowers (P-U). Yesterday, I noticed some of the purple color in the leaves has faded to a light dull purple, and I can clearly see the veins in those leaves. Is this from too much light ??
Bridal veil is a bit more obvious about it. It's got a washed-out look. The nice green color has been replaced with a greenish-grey color. I've since moved it to a spot where the sun won't beat on it so much. Again, from too much light?
Would keeping my miniblinds down and folded to the "open" spot decrease the light enough, yet still get light in for the plants enjoying it? I think the heat of summer sun along with humidity is just a bit too much for my plants. Keeping the blinds down a bit is better for me, too, because it lets a little less heat in to cook my living room. :)

Thanks in advance,
-Jennifer

Grandview, TX(Zone 7b)

I have had my purple passion vine for a little over 2 years now. I always let it dry out before I water it. Mine is in a south facing window and I have never had a problem like you are describing. Try repotting it if it is in a small pot and let it dry out before rewatering. Is it drying out all the way, or just on the top layer of dirt? You have tocheck the water about an inch into the dirt to really know how much water the plant is actually getting.
Hope this helps.
Toadlily

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

You are on the right track, Jennifer. High temperatures often cause the symptoms you described. Humidity is not a problem. Reducing direct midday sun and increasing the air circulation will help a lot.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Well, with the increased cloudiness outside for the past few days, the plants that looked the most affected seem to be improving now. I'm glad I caught it before it got really bad.

Thanks everyone..... now, to partially close those miniblinds before the sun comes out and does significant damage ...

-Jennifer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.