Echeveria 'Princess Lace'

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

This is one of my new acquisitions. Just love the subtle greens and the red frilly border.
Has anyone any idea of eventual size of this one please?
:)

Thumbnail by philomel
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Haven't the foggiest about the eventual size, but I just have to exclaim about the red rimmed foliage. It's a real beauty.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

the size depends on the potting medium. when i used to grow them on the ground, each leaf can grow as big as 10" across, whereas on the pot, depending on the size of the pot, each leaves can grow to 5" across. i used to have one that i had for so many years, from the ground level to the top of the plant, it grew to 2' tall, with lots of babies sprouting along the trunk of the whole plant. once upon a time, i used to grow all kinds of cactus and succulents. there is a huge varieties of echeverias. each one has a unique and special characteristic of its own. hope that helps.

Thanks Weez and MVR. I'll have to keep this indoors, it wouldn't survive the damp and cold of the climate here, so it'll have to stay in a pot. But i have rather fallen in love with the whole family. As you say MVR, they're all so different , but full of character! - and i've also got a baby Crassula lycops which has red markings too.
I'll post some pics of my other ones later.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

don't under estimate the echeverias Philomel. so long as u do not water them... allow them to take moisture from the atmosphere, they should be ok. if u want to increase ur stock, take one leaf, stick the part attached to the body under the ground and in due time u will have duplicate of the mother plant. when it blooms, take the stem where the flower buds appear, stick that on the ground too, in due time new plantlets will appear along the trunk of the flowering stem.

once u have increase ur stock, u can experiment, by planting some outside during the summer months. take them indoors during the winter months.

What great ideas, i'll certainly have a go! If i can increase my stock so it doesn't matter if i lose the odd one, i'll experiment with having some outdoors.
One thing on my wish list is a greenhouse - that would solve this problem, could overwinter in there.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

i do not have a green house, the very few i have recently bought and collected stay outdoors all year long. during the winter months, we do experience 10 deg. F, sometimes snow. in the winter months i place the succulents under the canopy of a tree to be protected from the elements, i never water them in the winter. if the weather gets worst, i cover them with newspaper. somehow i have been lucky enough to keep them for the past 3 yrs.

btw... when the echeveria begin to bloom, i cut off the stem of the flower prior to buds opens. cut off close to the body of the main plant. then stick the stem on the ground. in no time, u will see new baby plant growing. if u allow the budding stem to bloom, i think it is no good cause the flowers have already taken energy off the flowering stem. thought to pass that along... observations and experience learned thru the years of growing the lots of succulents in my lifetime.

Many thanks again (((MVR)))

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Philomel: It just occurred to me that I have some Echeveria that I wintered over in my beds last year. It was a very wet winter, and many of the plants I wintered over in 3.5" pots in trays didn't make it. I think the rotted. However, all four of these little fellows made it.

I inquired about them in a thread last winter. Here is a link: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/190623.html

Coool Weez - except those were saxifrages LOL. For a minute there i was thinking i'd be leaving mine out in all weathers, but London Pride is hardy here. Don't think echeverias are. Though i'll experiment as MVR suggests when i've got some i don't mind losing if the experiment goes wrong.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Philomel, now that you mention it. Echeveria was just one of the guesses. We have good luck with saxifraga here. I know nothing about Echeveria, but it doesn't sound like a plant that would appreciate all our cool dampness and rain.

Have just emailed you, this is to let you know in case you haven't got outlook up :)

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful plant - I love succulents

Yes, scrummy isn't it Azalea? Just hope i can keep it that way!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.