Lilac Bush

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Last night the wind broke a fairly good size branch off my lilac bush. Dawn is just breaking but I can see the branch laying on the ground. I haven't looked at the break yet to see how splintered etc it is. Can that branch be planted as is to start a new bush? I know you can start them from suckers. And should keep the suckers cut out. Or would "planting" this branch be a futile experiment?

Thanks,

Sharon

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sharon, I don't think it would work somehow. I find lilacs are tricky at best and they seem to be quite slow. What you could try is to pull off some shoots from the branch with a heel attached and try to root it or trying rooting the new growth as for a cutting. Maybe someone else will give you better info:-)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi Louisa,

This branch is about 10 feet long and about 6 or 7 inches around. I've had it sitting in a bucket of water since it broke off. Just enjoying the fragrance! This was only about 1/10 of the bush. I was asking more out curiosity than anything. But I might give it a few tries with different techniques and see what happens. If I have any success, I'll let you know. Thank you for replying.

Sharon

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

Homer, NY

hello SMspear1 hows the lilac doing? well I followed this advice when I found a huge branch at the village compost pile. someone cut a 6-7 foot branch of lilac off their tree so I brought it home and put root tone on it made fresh cuts , and stuck it into the ground the leaves are all dead but the branch still has life to it> curious no1thumb

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Sorry to say, the branch didn't make it! Not sure what I did wrong, or maybe the branch was just tired. That's it, I'm sure of it, the branch was just tired. LOL!

Sharon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.