I use weed killer instead of pulling
(3 votes, 2%)
Red dot

I don't weed at all
(5 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey, I don't weed by the calendar, I weed by the weather. After a good rain I am out there pulling the little beggars out. Otherwise forget it! Leave too many roots behind.

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, I weed a little bit every day and NEVER GET CAUGHT UP, it is never ending but I love being out there and seeing whatis new that is coming up.
--Joy

Marble Falls, TX(Zone 8a)

I tend to weed a little bit each day but dont do my serious weeding but once a week. I have several very large planting beds and we are tackling a lot of years of neglect from previous owners but we are making good progress.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I just discovered Preen a pre-emergent, and though I am very sad to not have all my volunteers, my discovery came just in time to save my knees and hips..............it is hard turning 50! And it works so well I cannot believe it. I have no lawn, but a garden in front and I used to swear that people came by and threw in grass seed. It would take me hours to weed and they would grow in the hardest places to pull............not any more! You could not get my Preen away from me!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm like Joyous, I do some every day - just never get finished - that Preen might just be the answer. I sqirt Round-up when they are not too close to good plants - but have to do it again after a couple of weeks.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I weed constantly - everytime I go out the door! My granddaughter calls it "unplanting" and she's of the opinion that we do it way to much! I generally don't mind weeding - all those wonderful surprises that are under the weeds - it's like a treasure hunt.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Im like lupineluver I weed depending on the weather-after a good rain which is every other day it seems like here-Im pulling and pulling. Its a never ending process and have you noticed that the weeds seem to know what flowers they look like-so lets grow over there!

Sykesville, MD(Zone 7b)

I pull weeds when the phone rings so I can weed and chat at the same time. Major weeding gets done when I can get to it.

Allen, MI(Zone 5a)

I have mostly native gardens/wildflower/woodland/bog, but I have a small perennial garden (about 300 sq. feet) and I just will pull a few weeds everytime I walk by it....so NONE of the categories were right for my vote....which is why I put down I don't weed at all...I don't FEEL like I have to weed at all. My husbands vegetable garden is HIS responsibility.....I have no idea how HE weeds....

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

I weed certain areas whenever I walk by them and some areas get a once a week, or even a once a month, going over. Seems it is never really "done," but you do finds lots of good stuff under those dandelions. And after a rain is always best - much easier to pull!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I try to pull a few weeds each time I walk the dogs out back. There's still some poison ivy seedlings I need to yank before they get big and have deep roots, though! The front yard I need to be more diligent with.

I agree about the Preen - that stuff is wonderful.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I didn't vote, because my weeding schedule is only when I have time, and usually I'm short on that with so many other things to do in the garden. I am working on getting the beds mulched good to help with the weeds.

Feeding Hills, MA(Zone 5a)

I use Preen to keep my flower beds fairly neat.

I do miss the volunteers....but you can't have everything.
However I do not use it on a regular schedule. I sometimes
only do it every other year in each bed. I try to skip it
until it begins to become a big job. I have a problem with
bending and have many flower beds. So yes...I weed on a daily basis as I peek to see what is new....but I also cheat
and use Preen to keep my many beds in line when they start getting way out of hand.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Is there a time when it is too late in the season to use Preen, or does it matter??

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Voted for the second one. I pull them out whenever I see. There is no such "weeding program" for me. It's easier that way.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Azalea.........you can use preen whenever but it is best to first weed well for it does not kill existing weeds but does not allow new weeds to germinate from seed. so weed your bed well and then on the bare soil spread the preen out. After a few days it works in and you can not see it on the surface. I esp. like it in my iris beds for the weeds always seem to grow wedged in between the rhizomes where you can not get them unless you hurt the rhizome. I just LOVE the stuff! i did my yard section by section and now only an ocassional weed gets thru! try it you will love it!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kell - that's what I needed to know. I have a rose garden that we nlaid the grass cloth down, then covered with graves. It has been down several years and the weeds have found a new home. We have used R-Up several times, but in a month new weeds appear. So I guess the trick is - kill em off then use Preen.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7a)

Every time I go out to look at my gardens, I pull some weeds. It's a never ending job, that's for sure.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I put that I weed a little bit every day but that really isn't accurate as I weed every day that I have time to get into the garden. I have a wonderful little hoe that gets weeds right up close to the plants that I want. That hoe works on push or pull so it saves me tons of time. Some of the weeds I hand pull but my beds are now mostly raised beds (thanks to my hubbies hard work this year) so it will soon get better when I get the mulch put on. I am a huge believer in about 3--4 inches of mulch.

Being the worlds greatest weeding procrastinator, I always intend to weed and then wander off on some other venture. Then comes a week of rain, curse myself for not having kept on top of it all.

The worst garden to weed is the front, it's a wildflower area and gets covered in weed grasses which I can never get out entirely and they spring up as soon as I'm not looking.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I voted once a week because that is all the time I have to do it. I would love to be home in the afternoons so I could do a little every day but it looks like I will be stuck working a messed up schedule for wuite awhile :~(

Versailles, CT(Zone 7a)

I voted once a week but, like a lot of you, I weed when I can - weather and work permitting. It just isn't a scheduled activity. I find I can more or less keep on top of it and often leave a few of the pretty ones, where they're not in the way - after all, what are weeds in one place are being sold as garden plants in another. I weed out creeping Jenny (lysimachia nummularia) and alpine strawberries (fragaria vesca) but keep eyebright (euphrasia offic.), primroses (primula vulgaris) and heartsease (viola tricolor) because they are attractive. I used to buy creeping jenny and wild strawberry plants in the UK!

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

I feel like I weed all the time! My beds aren't mulched, I want to be able to sow some seeds directly without messing with moving the mulch to find bare ground. Every once in a while I will tackle weeding the entire bed at once (all day). But usually I just carry around a plastic grocery sack & grab a few weeds here or there & pop them in the trash. If I like the foliage I will leave the weed there for a while at least. When it starts to bloom, I cut the head off so it doesn't set seed.

So basically, I pull a weed every time I go outside!

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I don't weed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.