Where do you store your garden equipment?

There are a total of 124 votes:

In the garage
(28 votes, 22%)
Red dot

In a shed or barn with everything else
(15 votes, 12%)
Red dot

In a shed or building just for garden equipment
(24 votes, 19%)
Red dot

I use my handtools so often. I just lean them on the wall next to the backdoor
(28 votes, 22%)
Red dot

Other (please explain)
(29 votes, 23%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Mansfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Storage shed with all the other tools and equipment. But at this time of year may also be in the leanto attached to it.

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Planning with DH for a storage/garden/lawn equipment shed near the garden. I'm hopeing for a leanto with potting bench. Doris

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

DH keeps them picked up behind me, except this time of year, they are everywhere. Mostly we lean the 2 shovels, fork and rake against the tree cause we use them everyday right now. Then they do go in a tiny shed just for garden tools. I store my hand shovels all around the garden so that there's always one handy. (really meaning that I forget to pick them up, so I have 5, laying in various areas of the yard.) I noticed 3 today within 2 feet of each other at my potting mix and that's just too close! the only time I've ever seen 3 hand tools that close was at the store!! :)

Feeding Hills, MA(Zone 5a)

I have some in the shed....some under the deck...some in the cellar.....some ON the deck.....no garage or they would be there too!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Sounds familiar Kat. Mine are scattered far and wide - garage(mower and shredder)...... carport .....outhouse .... shed....round the garden.....in the kitchen........
Hmmmmm think that's about it.

Jesteburg-Wiedenhof, Germany(Zone 8a)

I voted 'Other'.
In our flat, we have 2 cellars, my smaller hand tools are in one and the larger rakes, bags of soil, mulch, etc., in the 'Other'....

All the best

Wintermoor

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

right now mine are everywhere! (I swear they are breeding!) The rakes, shoves, trimmer, tiller, blower are in the garage. Lawn mower in mini barn. Hand tools on front porch in a bucket. I have some in laundry room (seedlings), back porch, kitchen, living room & bedroom. Wherever I happen to be when I realize I still have the darn thing in my hand. Eventually all the hand tools make it back out to the front porch in the bucket.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I took an old fuel-oil tank stand we were no longer using and sided it in, then added a pitched roof on it.

Held all our hand tools and could store our garden hoses under the roof, but alas it became too small after a few years.

Every fall its a made dash to get all the tools picked up and put away and every spring when the snow melts away we find a few forgotten tools.

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

In the middle of my garden is a big old mulberry tree stump I've turned into a table. I always end up sitting around it after working in the garden, so I nailed a bunch of nails into it for hanging my hand tools on. Perfect! The tree grew kind of funny on one side ~ small at the bottom and widened out above that ~ so I tucked a water faucet right under there. It's pretty neat! One of my fave things in the garden.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Sounds really neat, Linda!!

"eyes"

Midland, PA

I voted other -- I have a garden buddy that has 95% of my tools in a hard plastic case that doubles as a seat while I'm working the rakes, shovels, etc. are stored near the back door, for this time of year, in the winter they are under the house.

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 7b)

I voted "other" cuz it just depends on what tool it is....and what time of year. Usually the shovel stays out all the time (except winter)......hand tools stay out all year long too....big tools (rakes, hoes, etc) go in the shed, in the winter time, and just leaned up against the house or back deck during the rest of the year. I have a clay pot that I keep near my front water faucet (where the creeping thyme is finally taking off!!) and that's where I try to keep all my hand tools or I lose them! Have a bad habit of just leaving them where I'm working, then wandering off.......just like my mind does! :-)

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I have an old fashioned fruit box that is near the only water spigot that stores my hand tools and sprinklers and extra hose couplings. Then my shovel is usually found wherever DH used it last shoved into the ground there. My hoes are right now at my back door because I have been sitting in a lawn chair in the back yard killing weeds since I can't use Roundup because of the wind we are having. The last time I saw the potato fork it was down at the pond near the sandy beach that we just put in and I don't even know where the pitchfork is right now. I haven't used it since last fall so DH has put it somewhere. Sound disorganized? You BET! LOL Lani

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

It is, Jerrie! Just the perfect thing. I didn't relish the thought of pulling that stump, nor did Kenny, so we turned it into a table and built the garden around it. Incidentally, it's also where Kenny asked me to marry him, down on one knee, right after we'd worked all day out there. :-) :-)

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

I voted for OTHER because the most used ones seem to stay outside. They belong in the shed for ALL tools but in the summer never seem to be there.
Sugar

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Small hand tools and shears are in a bucket in a corner of th front porch behind a poted fern and the watering can. Rakes, shovel and hoe are hanging next to the weed wacker and outdoor extension cords on the back porch. Lawnmower and wheelbarrow are in the open front shed along with the firewood. The actual garden shed is filled with pots and planting mix, fertilizer bags, and asorted garden things like al. sulfate, super phosphate, epsom salts and such. My garden hat and gloves hang on a peg just withinreach of the door.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

This question needed an All Of The Above category so I checked Other. My tools are everywhere and I have to hunt some of them down sometimes but having duplicates works well. I do have a garden shed but the corner near the back door has tools, the hay shed has tools, the vegie garden has tools scattered here and there and leaned against the fence next to the gate, and the yard around the house has it's share too. I just have to try to remember where I used or saw something I need at the moment. I see I'm not alone.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

an old mobile home i use for a shed an all over hope to get a shed built this year but that is behind a new chicken coop and rabbit barn

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a make-do GH 35 miles fr where I spend half my time. So the majority of hand tools stay in my car. I'm usually running to west one nite & to north the next fr the Farm where I work. Rakes, shovels, even post-hole digger can be found in my car almost anytime. Sure will be glad when I find me a house & buy it. Then I can have them all @ one location!

Ashland, OH(Zone 6a)

The bigger tools are stored in my garage along a wall that's specifically for garden gadgets, but this year I've put up a mailbox on a post in one corner of my herb garden and that's where I keep my garden gloves, pruners, misc. garden hand tools, small hammer, etc. Makes a quick and easy access!
And just to add a little humor to it, on both sides of the mailbox where the address would normally go, I put the words:
"Mom's Happy Place"
*lol*
AuntyB

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

What a NEAT idea, AuntyB!! I think I'll do that, too! I love it!

Chicago, IL

AuntyB,

That is such a great idea, you need to post it in Home and Crafts, or Handyman, or something.

YOINK!

There goes your great idea, straight to my grandfather's garden as a gift this spring! -Hope you don't mind.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I had no choice but to go in for the last one. Actually, I store the tools in the toilet!! LOL. A door opens out into the gardenside. This is the most convenient place to retrieve and replace the tools and also wash the hands in the basin right there. I have now made a little shelf from an old steel trunk. I have hung it with wire outside the door of the toilet. I'm finding it handy.

Sykesville, MD(Zone 7b)

I voted outside the door.. but they are really absolutely everywhere. Even in my car sometimes !( Got weeds in my pockets, too ) I'm constantly buying storage gadgets to organize it all... but the tools NEVER find their way back into them.*Like it's the tools' fault*.. hehe. I'll always look by the door before I look where they should be ... Lee Valley Tools has a stand up cart that looks pretty handy, though. It would hold alot... (Hmmm...?? )Here we go again... =)

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

My stuff gets stored everywhere....as long as it's out of the little kiddo's reach. :)

Lorain, OH(Zone 5b)

In the shed, just for the garden stuff. Tomarrow I have to empty it out because, we are going to finally put a floor in it and lag bolt it to the back of the garage, so that the wind will not blow it over again. It is one of those little steel sheds, but it was a "sample" size of a style that the store had discontinued, 15ft long, 9ft at peak, but only 3 ft deep, with double sliding doors, I bought it for $40. two years ago. Even my big tiller fits in it. I curb shopped some wire closet shelves that I'm going to put in the peak also.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I am crippled, so really can't use big tools. Can anyone dig with a shovel with only one foot? Try raking while propping yourself up with one hand holding a cane!

I keep my hand tools inside a 10 quart bucket that is nested inside another for small yardwaste. Really simple to tip bucket into compost heap when full, or use a bigger bucket for bigger yardwaste, or another small bucket for non-compostables, or...

All my buckets are kept in garage, or maybe on the back porch, or in the shed (not usually) or in the basement for seed starting or ... :)

My hand tools don't have babies, but my buckets sure do! Started with 2, now I have 8!

Valley Village, CA

I keep all pesticides under lock and key in the garage, I have a closet that has shelves. My dog got into snail bait just once, I did realize an 11" dog could jump and pull down a bag of the stuff from a 33" high table. We had to have her stomach pumped, she lived on to a ripe old age. Norma

Hamilton, Canada

Other-one day I'm going to get organized. I have a set of plans for a small garden tool shed with shelves for pots. I'm going to keep the tool shed on the side kitchen deck garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.