Lucky Bambo??

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Has anyone ever heard of this?? I saw it in this antique store the other day and it was so neat looking! It was just cuttings stuck down in a glass of water and it actually curls itself in circles!! I have never seen such a thing, but now that I have...I want some!!! Does anyone know what this stuff is called other than "Lucky Bambo"?? Does anyone have some for postage??
TIA

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

If you will do a search for lucky bamboo you should find a lot of info. about it. Your question has been posted several time before.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Yes I did see it that we went yesterday, oh that's so beautiful would like to buy but cannot afford it at this time. =(

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

They were selling it at the grocery store on St. Patricks Day. It was marked as a Dracaena. It truly only needs water to grow. I had this cool idea to grow some in those new colored gel crystals, but a guy at the nursery said that probably would not be wet enough. I was not up to paying $8 for two stalks so passed. But I do think it would be cool to grow it in a clear vase with colored marbles or rocks or something. I think my kids would enjoy knocking it over a couple times a week. LOL

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

LOL Badseed :) I think my kids would too!! I just might have to go back and get me some, even if it was $6. It would be soo pretty to have in with marbles too. They have it on ebay and it is like a cluster of them tied together somehow, but seems like it was kinda high, so I passed.

I have some and for the longest time I kept it in just water...now I have it in soil and it is doing great.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Glory, Does it make roots? The ones I saw didn't have roots on them and I was told it wouldn't get roots on it as long as it was just kept in water. Any truth to that??

badseed
from what i have been told it is a Dracaena and not realy bamboo

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The ones at the grocery store had some roots coming out the bottom.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

here's a url for the so called Chinese bamboo ... http://www.plant-care.com/PlantCareTips/070701.asp , i bought some of these plants at a 99 cents store. 3 three inches tall, are for 99 cents. there were other sizes too. prices depends on how tall the plants are. a long one about 1' tall with twisted upper portion sells for $5.99 a piece. i've seen them also sold on ebay.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Boy! you got cheap for 99 cents, I wish it could have over here sell cheaper like your store over there. That's nice and I like the way it look curly one so cool!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Debbie... go to a Chinese store or any oriental store. they sell them cheap there too. good luck!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Oh ok never taught about that thank you for tell me and will go see at Asain store. So when I get this will let you know. Thank again!

(Zone 5a)

Molly I have one Lucky Bamboo plant and I will post a picture for you if you want me to. It's sort of has a curl to it.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

OO yes Wind I would love to see your pic!! Can't wait!!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

lucky bamboo & money plant ... http://www.dracaena-sanderiana.com/products.htm

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Cool!!! Thanks MaVieRose!! Those are sooo pretty aren't they?!!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

yes they are. i saw some awesome designs in Los Angeles Chinatown. if u are to buy some, try get them at a local Oriental stores. here where i live a 99 cents store, owned by Chinese people sell them so cheap... from 89 cents - 6-8 inches plants. the curly ques are like $4.98 a piece. i've seen some weaved into a basket for $10.00 per pot. prices varies where u get them and how the designs are made complicated. be aware those designs & number of plant has meaning in feng shui design... http://www.natureperfect.com/meaning_of_bamboo/index.html

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

WOW talk about big $$ I can't bring myself to pay that much for the ones on that site...but I will check around town and see if I can't just find some that are a little more in my price range.
Thanks for all your info!!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

i concord :). i've seen one in a huge platter, the design was graduating in height to form a circle, almost like a castle. from the lowest to the tallest, the tallest being the curly ques. the price was $65.00.hehehehehe.

(Zone 5a)

MaVie I have one that looks like the cruly one and they do cost quit a bit. I paid $8 for just one, I dint realize it at the time, thought that I would get three but on closer inspection of the add I found out that it was just for one.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

yes Kit, each piece of bamboo has a price on specific size. over here, a 6 or 8 inches cost 99 cents each piece. the curly ques from 12" start at $5.99 each piece and higher as the piece gets longer.

when i see these new things that are popular, i do shop around and go to the source and watch the prices.

during the trip i made to Los Angeles Chinatown, i went to the back stores where not visible to the tourist area. i was at the right place at the right time cause new shipments of money trees were being delivered. i got a few of the 8" tall money tree for $2.25 a piece. and guess what, i choose the pots that had new babies emerging from the bottom. to say the least, i got more than what i bargained for.

be carefull when u shop for these things. shop around first before buying. it took me 2 yrs. before i finally was able to buy either of these two plants. simply because i could not justify to myself paying those pricey tags put on them. what's funny is years ago, i could care less what the price tag on certain plants, when i see them i just go ahead and buys. life predicaments does a great influence on how we do our spending these days.:)!

(Zone 5a)

Your so right and I didn't realize it was for just one until it arrived, by that time it would have coast me more to send it back.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Kit... this is the reason why i enjoy doing research on the www and do a lot of observation. it pays sometimes to be patient.:)!

(Zone 5a)

MaVie when cabin fever hit's me and spring is just around the bin,I get carless at times but that is just a part of the fun of life.

I have seen a plant that I wanted and thought that I would wait until I could find it somewhere else cheeper. Well I ended searching and not finding it anywhere else cheeper. So I have waited two years for the plant and I now have it at the same price that I thought was to much. Some times it works and some time not.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

well Kit, hopefully next time u find something that is associated with oriental plant, maybe u could send me an email? u never know, what i find around locally, since Ca. is mostly populated with lots of people from the orient. once in a blue moon, i do spend time in Los Angeles nurseries to find what is new in the gardens. not promising anything, but i think it will be cheaper to buy the plant and send it to u, rather than risk the high prices on the internet. one never knows if i will luck out on finding plants locally :).

(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much and I sure will, nothing like saving a buck or two lol.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

MaVie, if you ever find a great deal on that money tree again, I'd love for you to contact me. even with postage, it would be a better deal than I could ever find. thanks:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.