What variegated house plants do you grow indoors?

Hamilton, Canada

I have Red Veined Praying Hands, Hoya, a couple of variegated African Violets, Arrowhead, Spider plant, and Cyclamen. I'm always on the lookout for more.

Joydie

(Zone 5b)

Joydie I like this question a LOT ! Would you mind if I asked it on the perennial or shade plants forum as well?

spider plant
draceana
scheffelera
sanseveria
spider plant
wandering jew
jade
pothos
spider plant
african violet
elephant's bush
spider plant
orchid
pepperomia

Several of these are at work instead of home

Hamilton, Canada

Cheryl...sure go ahead. I forgot about the purple and the silver'green wandering jews. I may have other plants, but that is what comes to mind now.

I've never seen a variegated orchid...is it the stem that's variegated or the leaves?
Joydie

(Zone 5b)

Actually "variegated" might not be the right term for these. The leaves on the ones I have are kind of "mottled" or "spotted."

And the Jewel Orchid has the most beautiful leaves.
The first time I went to Hausermann's I wasn't impressed enough (all blooms - green leaves) to buy anything until I saw these. http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week016.shtml Unfortunately this is picture doesn't do the leaves justice.

Hamilton, Canada

Cheryl,

Wow the leaves are beautiful. I've never tried orchids before. I always shy away from them although they are beautiful. I've been told non numerous occassions that they are not all that difficult to grow. Perhaps this year I will take a leap of faith and try one. Who know I might develop another different kind of plant addiction.

Joydie

Hamilton, Canada

Just added 2 new variegated Hoyas to my collection. One is green/white and the other is tri colored green/white/pink.
They were 2 plants in a pot for 99 cents.
Joydie

Fairchild Air Force , WA(Zone 7a)

3 different Chlorophytums
2 diff Pothos'
1 Dieff
1 Episcia
1 Peperomia
1 Philo
3 diff Hoyas
1 Ceropegia woodii
1 Saxifraga Sarmentosa
1 Begonia Medora
5 diff Tradescantia relatives
1 Syngonium

Hamilton, Canada

Hi LibbyLiz,

That's quite a list that you have there. What sort of plant do you think you will look for next?

Joydie

Fairchild Air Force , WA(Zone 7a)

The list isn't that impressive. Although I do have a lot of plants, more plain than variegated and colorful, all are only 2 to 5-inch pot size. I'm getting ready for a move from eastern WA (state) to central AR & had to scale down in size & number to take them along. So I'm once again dealing with starters.

But what variegated (and colorful) plants do I want next? Definately more Philodendrons & Pothos'. I only have two of each type & I especially want Philo Pink Princess & Neon Pothos!

This message was edited Monday, May 13th 2:56 PM

Hamilton, Canada

LibbyLiz,
Good luck with your move. I'm hoping that you will find the plants that you are looking for.

Joydie

Allen, MI(Zone 5a)

variegated umbrella plant
praying plant
spider plant
coleus
dragon tree
my kids and husband always get their hands in on my plants, so I can't have anything TOO particular!!

Chula Vista, CA

It partly depends on what needs pampering at the moment, but just for the enjoyment, generally these:
Peace lily
Streptocarpella
Peperomia argyreia
sometimes Plectranthus amboinicus
and assorted baby cacti, cuttings I am trying to root, and
so forth.
I keep them all in a tiled, triangle-shaped space in front of my kitchen window, where they can get some sun and the cats are unlikely to nibble them. Would keep more indoors if I could get more sun and didn't have to worry about the cats, because insects and snails exact their toll outdoors amd have spoiled the appearance of many plants. But I still love them--the plants, that is!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I have to be very careful about what plants I have in the house. My cats sometimes decide to munch on mine, so I try to keep my animal safe. All I have are spiderplant, dracena marginata, pothos, corn plant, and diefenbachia (I got it as a get well gift, and when it dies I'm not replacing it)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Joydie1, I have grown the jewel orchid for years. It does not need the special care other orchids need. It can be grown in regular potting soil. It doesn't like to be soggy but otherwise is not fussy. Pinching causes it to fill out, and to propogate it you can just break off a stem, let it sit for a day to heal over, then stick it in potting soil.

Clanton, AL(Zone 8a)

Let me see, i have some wandering jew and a prayer plant and a snake plant and a spathiphilum. I also have a spider plant that is real small.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8a)

A huge split leaf philodenron. Some leaves are half white and half green. Cool plant.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

At the moment I have:
Variegated arbacola (splling)
Pothos
Cleous
Wandering Jew

I love the plants with white and green leaves but don't have many.

hiram, GA(Zone 7b)

Diffenbachia Tropic Snow is doing well indoors here. Likes a moderately warm room, 70 deg, and a little filtered sunlight, but thrives indoors for me. It is not animal safe though, so it would have to be kept out of their reach if you have little crittes running around the house.

Hot Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

I have a few. Here are some pictures with name. Click on the link.

For your viewing pleasure....

http://community.webshots.com/album/51580824pFIqEs

Reno, NV(Zone 6a)

I have a spider (that's lucky to be alive), a dracaena, and a snake plant, which I never really thought of as variegated. I had a golden pothos until someone's birthday came up and I didn't have time to shop. :-/ I still get to visit it though.

Clermont County, OH(Zone 6a)

At the moment I have:

golden pothos
4 diff. spider plants
magenta dracaena
bi-color dracaena
purpl/green wandering jew
2 diff. dieff
lipstick plant
2 diff. phili.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I like this Q. a lot!
I grow:
Peace Lily
African Violets
Philodendrons
Caletheas
Pothos Ivy, Hedera Helix
Syngoniums
Bromeliads
Diffenbachia
I think that's about it.:>)

Canadaigua, NY(Zone 6b)

2 spiders
english ivy
3 philod.
- Burgudy has babies around it that are varigated, a plain old green and yeller one, and an elephants ear?
a couple jades
and a fittonia (pink vein) but I don't know if that's considered "varigated" ;) Mere

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I have some variegated:
hedera helix
ficus pumila
croton
begonias with spotted leaves
a watermelon pellionia
coleus
scented geraniums
regular geraniums
hoya carnosa
ficus elastica
fittonia pink
I would like to have a variegated:
hibiscus
jade plant that lived longer than 3 months
more coleus
I water variegated pothos all day at work, so I don't need any of that and a
variegated lemon tree, which I saw on Martha Stewart Living once.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Does anyone know how to propogate a Scheffelera? I have one that is fairly short, but has one really long branch that I would like to cut and propogate. However, I don't know if it is even possible. Thanks for the help!

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

philx2 ,
Just cut off the part of the Scheffelera you want to make a cutting of and stck it in the dirt...they root fairly easily. If you want use a little rotting hormone powder,too...
I root them all the time like this.
Good Luck, Lottie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.