Red dot

Some or all of the above
(52 votes, 36%)
Red dot

Other
(11 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

I don't mulch the borders, unless you call close planting a kind of mulching. The pots and containers get a gravel layer if they are (semi) permanent plantings

I answered some of the above. When I started gardening, dh put black plastic down after he tilled for me and then I use shredded bark and wood chips on top of that..

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

I use pine chips in the roses & azalias but DH like cypress in the Hostas.. we also use leaves & grass some.
Sugar

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I use leaves from local yards, compost that I buy (cheap)from our county dump, moldy hay and straw from my sheep, and wood chips are used around the tree basis with the compost underneath. Landscape fabric is used under gravel in the pathways. My yard is only two years in development since being sorely neglected by the last owners and I sure can see the difference in the size and the blooming of the plants in the beds that have been mulched! HUGE difference. Lani

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I get plenty of dry leaves from the mango, badam, sandal, neem, jackfruit and other shrubs. I came to know the importance of mulching here on DG a few months ago and I have been using this since then. The results are yet to be noticed. Some of these are consumed by the termites.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I use composted bark chippings

Mark

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Shredded bark in my perennial beds, pine straw in my daylily bed and around the blueberry bushes; regular straw in my vegetable garden raised beds, shredded bark mulch in the paths.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Grass clippings (no more than 2 inches thick to start, then when they turn yellow I add more if I have them), shredded leaves, and old straw. If I can get a load of tree trimmings that have been through one of those chippers the commercial trimmers use, I love to use those in the flower beds, but always use softer stuff that can be rototilled in anyplace I want to run the tiller.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I have compost heaps constantly on the go and put on all green kitchen waste, lawn mowings and all shrub and tree prunings after they've been through the shredder (just got a new one and it's totally ace), so use that on most things. Have put down membrane for the paths that aren't paved, covered with bark chippings. Some areas i'm trying to deweed and use for vegetables are snuggly under old carpet, and i also use cardboard to do the same job.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i use shredded hemlock wood chips/bark. what a delightful smell. i use about an inch, i find i can then turn it into the earth as it decays and it is helping my sandy soil improve.

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello Everyone, I use hardwood mulch, pine and cypress mixed in some places, as well as I have black fabric underneath the mulch to help hold in moisture, and to prevent those awful strong weeds that somehow can still make there way thru no matter whacha do. It has really seemed to help. I hate weeds and I had to put a stop to them somehow and this has certainly helped. I even had Begonias come back, which from what I understand is not that common. I planted about 5 flats of red and white begonias last year, cut around the black fabric and that helped to keep them safe thru the winter as well as the mulch, and they are growing great and getting huge. Even after the snow we had, they still came back. That'll save me some $$$$'s as my hubby really likes begonias. I only use pine straw under my trees. Every where else I have mulch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it and couldn't do w/o it!!!!!!!!!! In my veggie garden I use grass clippings in the rows to keep down the mud and it works great. I used to put newspapers down, or cardboard then cover the row with the grass clippings. It has always worked great for me!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Traci S

This message was edited Friday, Apr 26th 10:15 PM

Hamilton, Canada

Other-brown leaves over winter, but nothing during the remainder of the year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.