Morning Glory Contest 2002

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Starting a new thread, as old one is taking a long while to load. Dave has set up an area for the contest (thanks, Dave!); here is the link:

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2002/mg/

Happy Gardening! John

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I must be really out there some where.I have no way to post a photo. or hasn't that been set up yet?

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I would join but mine just sprouted.........LOL

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Flo, I think the winner will be chosen by September, so there is plenty of time. Mine are only a few inches high.

I'm just now soaking mine. Last year I didn't plant them until the end of May. I have transplanted some "free spirits" that came up on their own...

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

O goody!! If we have until September....that means that I can enter the contest!! Mine are just a few inches tall, and I still have some that I have yet to plant.
Why does everyone say you have to soak the seeds though? b/c I direct seeded mine the other day and they are already up about 3" tall...and I didn't soak them at all. Do they come up any quicker if they are soaked?? hmmmm I just might try some soaked and see what happens.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

MOLLYBEE, I keep reading to 'nick' and soak the seeds... so how come the self-sown ones come up so easily all summer? I did as told though! I have several kinds started in peat pots while I ponder some creative designs for the contest. John

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey John,
Sounds like you got your's all going in the right direction then. Just never had to nick or soak them before so I couldn't figure out what the difference was. I mean I have been growing them for years off and on and never had a problem with them sprouting out. plus the ones that self sow themselves....they aren't nicked eaither. But I am going to try it, just to see how much longer it takes for it to sprout out and grow. and now that I think about it, all the ones that pop up by themselves(all over the yard) tend to be better plants than the ones I plant and baby all summer LOL go figure!?!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I never nicked, nor soaked mine and they sprouted within 3 days

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

I nicked & soaked.. a couple jumped right out of their skin. I just did a tiny nick at the pointed end. I planted them but doubt they grow. My DH has a idea for a SECRET weapon. Hope he gets it made & it works :D
Sugar

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

ok then, count me in. Do we officially have to sign up somewhere for this or do we just announce here that we would like to join? :)

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Good question Flowox, I was wondering that too. Who is in charge here? Who do we contact?? I want in!

Just start adding your entries whenever you want to, and add all you wish. Simply entering an image automatically enters you into the competition.

Who are the judges of this contest, and what are the categories from which winners will be selected?

Check out the Container gardening contest to get an idea... http://davesgarden.com/contest/2002/container/

dave

Sorry - never mind that question. The other thread detailed that. The information is up now at http://davesgarden.com/contest/2002/mg/

dave

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

ask.. which best to grow in ground or pots for MG.....

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I think I'll be able to be in on this. I've never grown morning glories before but I have some that are up about an inch and I have more seeds to plant this weekend. Hopefully they will cooperate and grow nice and not embarass me to much.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

JoanJ..this is my 1st time growing MG also unless U count some wild ones that came up in my yard in Virginia several years ago. They were small but beautiful. I sure hope the ones I have planted will be as pretty.
Sugar

(Zone 8a)

Okay, the judges are Calilly, Gingerlilly, Mystic...

Deadline for pictures Sept 30 th 2002...

5 Categories are as follows...

(1) Most blooms
(2) Prettiest flower
(3) Best ugliest... LOL
(4) Biggest bloom
(5) Best combination

Happy Mging!
Rebecca

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

mine won;t be at their peak till mid September. Atlesast! Some of us are in different zones remember.and all zones aren;t created equal. Hows about all photos in by the first of october

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

never mind....Should of read entire page before posting. SORRY

Hamilton, Canada

Yahoooo my morning glories have all sprouted...too cool out to put them outside but they are all in pots now under grow lights. I'm going to have to get busy and make trellises for all of these I have so many kinds now...this is going to be so much fun.

Joydie

I want in. I will be planting alot of them this year.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine are getting very leggy. I've never grown them before, but I'd like to know when I can plant them in zone 5. Temps were in upper 80s this past week, but now in the 40s. Is this too cold to put them out or should I wait til weather is more stable? I don't have a sunny window for them where they can sit all day, so now they are snuggling up to a northern exposure. If anyone knows a temperature range when I could safely put them out, I would be grateful. (So would the MGs!) Doris

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

how about one more category? most creative use of?

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I'm not sure djm but I live in zone 5, Ohio, and I put mine out 4 days ago and they are doing just great. Growing like mad. If you leave them in the house too long, they'll get too leggy and may die (that's what my other ones did) but then again, I'm no expert as this is the first time I've tried to grow them. This time as soon as they sprouted and were about about an inch, I put them outside. They are about 4 inches tall at least now. They are growing like mad outside :)

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I am in!!! just started planting MG seeds!!!!!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Hee hee, Honorable Judge Cala here. Be sure and get your bribes in early, lol.
Just kidding, happy growing to everyone. This has got me wanting to start some now, just to see what a "real" beauty should look like of course.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Better get to planting Cala. Time is a wastin'. I don't have many kinds, but they are going to be worth looking at. See, I'm developing a positive attitude here. Will be watching for some great pictures later on.

τΏτ

Shirley

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Doris - don't plant them out until after the danger of frost. You can put them outside to harden off and get some sun - but frost will probably kill them. I've found that mgs [started in or outside] won't do much until the weather gets warm. They just sorta sit there and sulk. But when the warm weather starts they grow like wildfire.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Better late than never?? LOL Okay, I want in on this. Mine are hardened off and living in the hoopster. May as well play. :)

Hamilton, Canada

I have all my various morning glories sprouted indoors in little pots. Last week the temperatures hit 80 degrees and today we have snow flurries...

Joydie

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

oh jeez, don't say snow flurries. I have put everything outside and I'm hoping it won't freeze again. Stupid weather indeed :(

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

all my MG are sprouted outside in a large pot and in ground..... They are going to climbing on banana trees!!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

mine are sprouted too. How fast do they grow? I've never grown them before :)

(Zone 8a)

Flo...some can grow inches a day! Keep them babies warm!

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

It isn't warm here.. it is down right HOT. Mine doesn't seem to be growing too much. The Heavenly Blue ones seem leggie to me. Maybe that's how they grow as I have never grown them before. I can hardly wait for them to start blooming. I have several types started but don't really have any fancy ones. (guess HTML doesn't work here)
Sugar

This message was edited Thursday, May 2nd 11:38 PM

Longview, TX

I planted MG seed a week or two ago. Maybe they will come out pretty for the contest....hehehe.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

the weather is just crazy here and they are growing millimeters at a time if I'm lucky......LOL. It surely is going slow

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

If it Doesn;t stop raining and warm up. I MAY become Violent! I want flowers...not fungi! I never had such a trouble with that before. its everywhere. I want to plant my morning glories!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.