Help with African violet babies.

Burlington, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok - I took the plunge and clipped some leaves and put them in water on my windowsill. Some are putting out roots and have babies growing from them. My question is - when is the time to put them in dirt? Do I wait until the babies are bigger or plant them now?

Suzy

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i think you should put them in soil as soon as the roots looked viable but not to large.....at least that is what i do, then cover them......im not sure how to do it if they already have babies coming......water roots are totally different from roots that form in soil.....hope someone can help......cindy

Hello swoznick - brommom has hit the nail on the head as the saying has it - water borne roots need to be carefully weaned into compost conditions. Transfer as soon as the roots are a of couple of mm or so in lenght and keep in a close condition until they start to colonise the compost - a couple of weeks at around 65-70F/18-21C. Use a propagator or plastic bag over the leaf cuttings. Take care to keep out of direct sun and keep water off the leaves.

Peter.

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

yeehaw.....im so glad that someone agreed with what i said...it makes me feel like my thumb is turning a tab bit greener.....lol.....*blush*.....ty for saying that my advice was ok...:)

cindy

Hello Cindy - just you keep at the gardening, and checking that thumb of yours. You will be surprised.

Peter.

Burlington, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Guys - thanks for the replys. Ok Peter - now that I did not do this propagation the most correct way and now need to "wean" the babies from water to soil? Do I need to start with a slurry of water and AV soil? or more soil -really wet in a small pot? Help me out!

Suzy

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

what i did was take my rooted leaves and put them in a mix of 1/2 av soil and 1/2 perilite then i put them in a jiffy greenhouse under a grow light......i moistened the soil a bit then basically left them alone till i saw babies......hope this helped...peter, how do you do yours?.......cindy

Hello Suzy - no! certainly not a soil slurry. Just pot up into normal potting soil with no more than a base ferilizer. Or if you make up your own, either don't add any at all, or add a little superphosphate. What you need to do to wean them from water to composts mix is to give them a close environment for a couple of weeks. Then gradually admit more air until fully in the open atmosphere. Use a unheated propagator at normal room temps or simply a plastic bag stretched over wire loops. It us just a matter of giving them a trouble free environment while they adapt to the new medium.

Peter.

This message was edited Monday, Apr 22nd 7:39 AM

Burlington, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok guys - I think I've got it now. but since I had already leapt before I asked - did'nt want to make the same mistake again. I sure am glad you are patient with me. I'll send pictures when these come up right!

Suzy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.