BALSAM Impatiens in a Container

Plymouth, PA(Zone 5b)

Hello I have 2 packs of BALSAM Impatiens seeds I wanna put in a container.. But I wanna add it to either my Canna's or my Brug container, since both are large containers and look empty right now. Since these are annuals would it be ok?
thanks
tamlamb

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Tammy, the Balsam Impatiens get rather tall, and prefer more shade than either plant you mention. I thnk something else might be better for underplanting... John

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

my balsam plants get over 4 ft tall..
Larkie

Plymouth, PA(Zone 5b)

Wow ok thanks, guess I'll find something else. What about moss rose is that small ?
tamlamb

Yes, moss rose, Portulaca, would be perfect! John

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

John,
I thought Moss Roses were sun lovers.
Sugar_fl

Sugar_fl,

You're right, moss roses are sun lovers. But I think that either cannas or brugs underplanted with them would be fine, as both of the taller plants require sunny locations also. I'm not expecting they will cast too much shade over the moss roses. Hmmm, how about Coleus then? They will take either sun or shade, would have a more complementary tropical look, cn be pinched to the height required, and would have the same moisture requirements. Good point, Sugar_fl! Tammy, what do you think?

John

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

John, I have some Balsam seedlings.. hope they do OK in my hot area.
Sugar_fl

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

My Balsam thrives in the hot summer sun! But it does get at least 3 ft tall.

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

My Balsam seedling stem has gotten tall. Are they supposed to do that? If not can I plant them a little deeper? I have some growing under lites & some in a mini greenhouse.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Same thing here, Sugar_fl. My balsams came up on long sturdy stems, even though the lights are right above the flat dome lids. Maybe it's just their nature.

Yes, they grow surprisingly tall, and the flowers will be mostly along that tall spike. Some secondary 'branches' will also appear. These do wilt if they dry out, so probably sun is fine if kept moist. These have the seed pods which sort of 'explode' when you go to harvest them. I did stake mine last year. These are really beautiful, and a nice change from the garden impatiens everyone grows. John

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

That's why they call them "Touch-Me-Nots". The kids love to pick them but have to watch out for the bees.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This is my first year growing balsam. It was one of the plants my mother used to grow in her garden when I was a girl, so I thought I'd try it. The usual impatiens don't do very well up here... too wet and cool I guess.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Wet and cool is good for them Wheezin!! I think they are so pretty but my, do they self seed outrageously. I had to finally get rid of mine and took me ages to clear the garden of them but that was in England of course. Now that's just given me a great idea - I could plant them in the wild area of my garden!! Cool!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Around here I'm pleased if anything has time to go to seed, much less reseed. Although the English daisies (bellis) were reseeding clear out into my lawn last summer. I don't mind them at all. They came out of the ice and snow in bud!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hurray for the bellis!!! Plucky little beauties!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes! I started my first bellis two springs ago, so I didn't get any blooms until last spring. Bless their fuzzy little tops.. they are such performers and ask so little!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.