Moisture Meter

Iola, WI

Is that what you'd call it?

With so many different plants, in so many stages of growth, in so many different sized pots I think it's time to get serious about proper watering.

Do you have a favorite one? Did you get ripped off on a cheapie? I'd rather spend more money on one that does the job right than go on the cheap and run into problems.

TIA
Sue

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

i have used them...the first one i either wore it out or it got dropped too many times....i bought another...and its sitting on my desk collecting dust...they come in handy when you arent sure, but many will tell you that in time you will be able to tell with your finger or by the weight of the pot, when to water or not to water...this may not help but this is what i have found to be true.....i didnt spend much on mine...got them at walmart under $10 i think...so dont spend a lot, cuz in time you wont need it....another trick i have learned is to group your plants together according to their watering needs...this has helped me alot also....good luck...:)

cindy

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

I hate to rain on your parade but there are some things you should know about moisture meters. These devices are commonly sold and are seductively simple. You put the soil probe into the soil and a gauge immediately tells you if the soil is wet, dry or somewhere in-between. In reality, moisture meters do not actually measure moisture content. They measure the degree of electrical conductivity of the soil. Because water is an excellent conductor of electricity, the operating assumption is that the more moisture in the soil, the greater the conductivity which the meter translates into a "wet" reading. All of this is true, but incomplete. Certain minerals are also excellent electrical conductors. For example, a glass of salty water is a much better conductor of electricity than a glass of distilled or mineral-free water. In addition, a highly compacted soil conducts electricity much more than a loose, porous soil with lots of air pockets. This means that a moisture meter may mistakenly give a "wet" reading for dry soil that is either compacted or has lots of minerals (excess fertilizer) in it. Conversely, a very porous soil with a low mineral content will read "dry" on the meter when the soil is still damp.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a standard potting soil so there is no practical way for you to know about the mineral content or compaction of the soil for any particular plant. Thus, you have no way of knowing if your meter reading is really accurate for any given plant. It is like Russian Roulette - more often than not, a meter is reasonably accurate, but periodically it will mislead you badly and you will kill your plant. Moreover, moisture meters appear to be so scientifically accurate that people will ignore their own common sense when it conflicts with their “more scientific” meter reading. That is why I don't recommend their use. I advise people to get used to poking their finger into the soil and understanding that when the surface feels nearly dry, there is still sufficient moisture deeper in the pot. It takes some practice, but in the long run this method is more consistently accurate than the moisture meter.

I have written an article on how to properly water indoor plants that I will email to anyone who sends their email address to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

Iola, WI

Thank You Both!!

I thought a meter would be a "majic wand" to help me water my plants. "Not"!! I'll have to stick with the finger method. You're right Brommom, I'll learn!

Will...you are a fountain of information! I bookmarked your website! Truly interesting! Is this the same information that you're offering via e-mail?

I can't wait for warmer temps, my plants do much better when they get some fresh air!

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

I write monthly email Indoor Plant Bulletins. Each Bulletin covers a particular topic in depth. The information on moisture meters is one section in a Bulletin devoted to all facets of watering indoor plants. For those who are struggling with proper watering, I offer the Bulletin on watering as an alternative to the moisture meters.

Fairchild Air Force , WA(Zone 7a)

I've used one of these things for years without incidence, but I've become 'addicted' to it & now can't tell when a plant does or doesn't need water, unless it's bone dry, of course! :-(

How do I wean myself of this contraption?

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

LibbyLiz - If you have used your meter succesfully with your plants, then maybe you should stick with it. Meters do work in some potting mixes and perhaps that is the case with yours.

If you want to stop using it, then I recommend going cold turkey otherwise you will never learn to trust your sense of touch.

For most houseplants, the top inch or so of soil should feel quite dry to the touch before you water. Dry soil also is lighter in color and it doesn't hold together when pinched between the fingers. So "look, touch and squeeze" the top inch of soil to determine if it is dry.

Most succulents should be allowed to dry at least half to two-thirds of the way down into the pot before watering. It is hard to get your finger down that far so you have to estimate with them. Sometimes you can tell by the weight of the pot when you pick it up. It should feel much lighter than it does right after you water. Another rule of thumb with a succulent is to wait until the top inch of soil is dry then wait the same number of days again before you water.

Some other plants such as peace lily and ferns should be watered as soon as the surface of the soil feels barely damp. Allowing the top inch of soil to dry would be too dry for these plants.

Estimating soil moisture is often the hardest thing to learn. It takes some time and experience and a few failed plants, but you do truly develop a feel for it after a while and it soon becomes second nature.

Hello all- a very interesting thread on pot plant watering.

For my contribution I would like to submit a little article I placed on my web site when I first created it, and I hope it will be of some added help. Although, I suspect it will only support some good advice that has already be given.

http://www.dwsn.fsnet.co.uk/Watering.htm

Peter.

Fairchild Air Force , WA(Zone 7a)

I used to be an over-waterer & kill my plants with kindness. That's when I bought the instrument. It has helped me a great deal. I haven't lost a plant in years. I always tried the touch method in conjunction with the moisture meter, but they didn't agree. When touching the soil, it stuck to my fingers, possibly because of oils or moisture on the pads of my fingers I now realize, thanks to Peter's infomation, which says I should use the back of my hand or fingers, rather than the palm side.

I'm going cold turkey giving up the moisture meter. I gave it to a friend who's in desperate need of help. Most of hers die of root rot. I just gave her a huge box of plants to plump up her measly collection, since I'm moving from WA to AR next month, so I don't want her killing the future sentimental gifts.

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.