Farmer's Almanac
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Other
(5 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Most often they are wrong, those tv folks....but than who cares I am not goin' anywhere....really.....Just hanging out......Diana

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

I voted the internet as we get it there mostly but we also get it from TV.

Iola, WI

I get my initial forcasts from the 4 local stations at 5am. Unfortunately they are only from 2 cities (both 50 mi away). I have one that I trust for the closest "guess" (errr...forcast) Do they have windows in the studio???

I also get the forcast e-mailed to me several times a day.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I voted "other" because I get it from The internet, TV, newspaper, my joints and the radio....sometimes one of us even guesses right...but not usually :-}

I said the internet. Each morning I load up this page: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/TNZ068.php?warnzone=tnz068&warncounty=tnc105

It's the National Weather Service's East Tennessee office and they are extremely rarely wrong. You can get a detailed summary of what the meterologists themselves are perceiving, full dopler and satellite, historical climatology, and other goodies. The NWS is my only weather source, and they are right 98% of the time.

The local TV and radio guys just repackage the NWS data, and usually mess it up with their own second-guessing.

dave

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I said the internet-cuz I use my weatherbug everyday all day.
It has everything I need-radar,forecast,wind chill(brrrr)temps,and live cams! =]

weatherbug.com and its FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

i watch the t.v. news also but weatherbug mostly!
MY bones tell me when the rain is coming! ;]

Id like to use a "HEAT INDEX"!!!!!!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Jack listens to the local radio stations every morning, then goes to the weather channel on the tv sometimes and occasionally one of the family will check out the local weather link on the internet. Shad is on a internet weather link kick at this point so he checks that sometimes several times a day.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I said Internet but actually could've said "all the above except Farmer's Almanac and the newspaper". The internet gives me local weather from a nearby school (the main weather station around here is two cities away and very seldom reports what is happening or has happened here). I also have two weather radios, thermometers galore (and always looking for more!) and a weather machine that has indoor/outdoor temps and records the low and highs, icons that forecast 12 hrs in advance, barometric pressure (and of course a timepiece that picks up signals from the atomic clock somewhere out in Colorado). My computer page comes on to the local weather data. (I even have a weather radio in my truck~!)

Wow...just saw the link dave mentioned above. Very good weather page! Now on my favorites list.

This message was edited Monday, Apr 1st 3:35 PM

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL Shoe! With all that weather information you should be able to tell the birds when to nest and the bees when to make new hives! No need for the almanac anymore...now I'll just ask Shoe! Ask Shoe! Sounds like A sneeze ;~}

Shoe: Check this out. The NWS has the same page setup for you county. Very nice! Scroll to the bottom and check out the "Forecast Summary". That's where the -real- forecast is. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/forecasts/NCZ024.php?warncounty=NCC135&city=Hillsborough

I'm thinking I use the same one as Dave. I have it bookmarked and it gives everything Dave gets and it's scary how close it is on temps. Within 1 degree. The tv stations are a joke. I think they know about as much as I do which is NOTHING.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I voted "Local or should I say Loco!" TV forecast lol I do watch the weather everynight at 10:00pm just so I know how to dress the kiddo's before school. But.....I honestly believe that they don't always have it together, if ya know what I mean?!! I can watch it on one channel and flip it over to another channel and get a totally differnt forecast! yet they are all considered to be local stations! Go figure!!

Mansfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Get the overall picture local, but also get two in my email. If the weather looks bad in the near future or if it is getting bad in an area where I have friends or family then go to the weather channel. But we all know the aches and pains are the only true forcasters. LOL Have to add that last fall the local stations were talking about the sun, etc. while it stormed like mad here. : )

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Dave, your weatherbug link looks really good. But it only covers the US :(
Would have downloaded if it covered UK too. Just have to keep on using the TV. Thanks anyway :)

Sorry, philomel, the nation covered by the "National" Weather Service is the US. Too bad for you, too. It's one of the great gov't programs here. :-)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Got it! thanks dave.

Fall River, MA(Zone 6a)

nope, i like to keep things simple -- to see what the weather is, i look out the window, and if i want to know the temperature, i stick my head out the door!

you guys and your fancy-schmancy weather discovering techniques ... lol

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

karenmarie , I used to do it that way but DH and I could never agree! If I stuck my head out and said it is hot out he would say it was a bit chilly. If I said it was cold and we should have a fire he would say it was warm enough for him...but if the weatherman said cold he believed him...So now I surf around for a weatherman that agrees with me and show him that!

Jacksonville, IL(Zone 5a)

I used the weather-bug on the net previously and really liked it. I changed to My-cast recently. Rose

This message was edited Tuesday, Apr 2nd 11:03 PM

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Little country - easier to do forecasts and on more places.. so I voted local television weather forecasters.

southeast, NE

Usually check the local TV during the early a.m. and p.m. news. Although during the summer, we tend to rely on the rain gauge and the hired hand for the neighboring farm. This guy checks in at the coops, coffee shops, etc. to see what everyone received for rain and then uses that as an excuse to report his findings to everyone in the neighborhood. Of course, he expects a beer or a glass of ice tea as his payment.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I use the internet for much of my weather because they seem more accurate AND they give a longer-range prediction (10-15 days depending on the service du jour) That comes in very handy as I am looking for planting dates, flower and tomato sale dates, and an idea of how much propane I'm going to need to heat my GH until spring arrives for good.

As an aside, I find the votes very interesting - I would have guessed that local news would still win out over other sources, but the Internet is a surprisingly close second.

'course, this group is probably a bit biased - we're already on the 'net in order to respond to the question. I wonder what a poll of the "population at large" would reveal on this question?

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5a)

I too use the Weather Bug. I really like it and it is what one of the local weather men uses. So, i figure if he uses it then what do I need him for!:D

Brielle, NJ

I have given up on forecasters - where I live the weather can be different five miles away. Yesterday my friend in the neighboring town asked me how I liked the snow flurries - never got 'em. We are having a serious drought here - I'm just praying for rain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.