making more lamium

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

can I start more from cuttings? my daughter is dying for mine, and I'm not giving it up!! LOL!!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Tig
I just take tip cuttings about 2 inches long and they root in 2 weeks or less, especially if I put them on the heat mat.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

with a node, like a passiflora? (I know, probably a very dumb question)

Tig, yes, with at least one node. They are very easy to root. They will look all wilty at first, when they start looking firm, they should be rooted.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks, I love this stuff, it's gorgeous!!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

me too tig - it's beautiful. What do you have?? White Nancy?? You might also try a few sprigs in a jar of water!! I've not tried this with lamium but most thin leaved plants will root in water.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I have Beacon Silver, got it from Roz at the FL swap. I'm really taken with this, I'd never seen it before. thanks, I'll try some in water too.

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

tiG,
I have the Beacon silver and Shell Pink. A few years after I got them I was visiting my great uncles south east of Cleveland and found The white one growing wild in their woods!!! They had 65 acres of unculitivated land, which was mostly woods and cricks, and a few small ponds, the open areas we planted with hundreds of pine trees for conservation. Both of my uncles have passed away now but I still have the white lamium from their house, I love it!!!
I propagate mine alot, I just divide it with a spade and replant it, it stays droopy for a couple of days, but always perks back up.
Becky

Kittanning, PA

hey tig,
if you are doin so much propagating... wanna share? LOL
I don't have any lamium.. or at least i don't think i do!!.
I do recall planting something called Herman's ? or Yellow Archangel? Is that the same?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

let me give it a shot and get DD taken care of. it looks like it would be easy, I'll let you know!

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

I guess I'm a day late on this one, but I'll give my answer anyway :)

I propagated lots of lamium last year. For me, the best way was by layering. They rotted in water, which was upsetting to me as I have excellent success with lots of plants this way. Tip cuttings did so-so (again, for me), but all of the ones I did by layering worked, and they rooted in one week. As soon as the root appeared (or showed resistance if I waited longer), I finished severing the plant, and potted it up.

Good luck, tiG! It really is a great plant.

Trish

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Trish, I'll give that a shot too!!

TiG, I knew I left something out of that box!! Guess I will just have to fix another package.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

you can't Cala!!!! I'm already so in your debt! PJ gave me some today that's different, but I'm not sure which one it is yet. you are too sweet, thank you for all that you DID put in the box!

I have the White Nancy. It's very small but if it gets going, I'll try and make more...It is beautiful..vic

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.