the summer of the morning glory

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Star of Yelta never looked like that for me. These look like they are blue and navy. I never heard of that other one. And good old Grandpa...try to find THOSE in the store...my zone is pityfull for giving us that. I'll keep lookin! I guess if you put them on the wire fence, then, you have"mixed " colors of seeds. I am putting them along a wire fence too.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

catlady! Guess what I got today!!!!! Thanks so much! now. do you have a picture of what they look like? thanks again

Gilmer, TX

I did, but can't put my finger on it right now. I had a delete fit awhile back and it may be lost forever. If I do come across, it will forward. Sure you don't want some of the others, think I still have all those mentioned.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

they had purple centers. You mailed them on St.patty;s day. mail must be slo...... Well, sure., I'll try them!Let me get an envelope together andI'll get that off to you. I have your address here in front of me. I believe I need to get one off to Poppy sue too. I have to reread where I was with her. lol / I have had a wicked headache for a few days now , sorta forget whereI am in my postings , if ya know what I mean

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Ming - just send a couple stamps - I'll get the glories in the mail to you. I just found an Aquatic morning glory http://store.yahoo.com/watergarden/aqmorglor.html Hmmm... looks something new to try for my pond!

Has anyone grown the Bush Morning glory ipomoea leptophylla? I have some seedlings of it growing. I wonder if it will be a huge monster of a plant. I'm kinda scared about putting it in the ground. It says the tap root can be as big as person... hence the nick name "Man-Root"
http://www.gpnc.org/bush.htm

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Poppysue! interesting links! Never saw either type! but , the royal ensign. They are nice if you havent tried them. But. I am sure you have..You know way more than this girl! They Bush really nice. and are so cute ! Will get postage off to you

(Zone 8a)

Mings...did you put a curse on me? :) I had mg's sprouting 'in the ground mind you'and those darn bugs ate all but the stems and am going to have to start all over! Drats!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Imaseedpicker>EW!!!!!! Well, you should see mine! I have lost half of them! We had that cold spell. and once I shut off the grow light at nite. It must of gotten too cold down the basement where I have them set up....the look pityfull! I don;t know if I shoud cut them back and see if they start up again ...or just start over.What a mess. PLUS. I think maybe I got too anxious and started them too soon. Don;t know.....they are just Heavenly Blues I bought in the store. You would of heard me SCREAM if it was ones from people on DG!

This message was edited Tuesday, Mar 26th 8:43 PM

(Zone 8a)

This may be more like "no year for the morning glories" LOL I am fighting back with sevin dust...I know how some of you are about taking drastic measures but the oil & dish liquid does not work for me! I'm sorry!

Mings...sorry to hear about yours and don't give up! Keep on truckin'

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Mings - I sent you a bunch of seeds today. You'll have more to start. I planted my yellow ochracea and they're sprouting already. I thought they'd be tricky but they came up fast.

(Zone 8a)

Poppy...Did you have to nick the yellow to get them started? Last year, I soaked and soaked (there were no instruction about germination) and finally nicked them and they began to sprout and planted and it took them 5 months to bloom and I got only 1 bloom before the frost hit and killed them in December...boy was I dissappointed but I have them already in the ground this year...I think they will bloom around july or august and maybe I will get some seeds too!

Hope yours do good!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Yup, I soaked them in hot water and then chipped the seed coat like you said. I hope I get some blooms too - 5 months!! I'm glad I started them now. My first frost usually comes in september.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Poppy sue. Am going to post office tomorrow to send you stamps. lol. We wil cross in the mail. that' s okay. thanks! I will send you some red ones I just harvested over the weekend. My trouble is I just get too house bound and too inspired reading all these garden sites and magazines and I start too early. hopefully. Things will work out. One seed at a time! lol.
imaseedpicker, this is just a minor set back. We are gonna bring home the gold this year! oaky. now. i had one of my "visions" that I get....thats what I tell DH I am having. bare with me here. What if......what if you put morningglories in a hanging basket adn tehy casaded DOWN???? and UP????? Can you close your eyes and see it???? Has anyone tried that? Or am I way off base here. Just a thought. I think I want to try that. Or maybe in a window box cascading down....

(Zone 8a)

Hey Poppy...I overlooked your reply to Mings, you two in cahoots together? If I may ask,what kind of mg seeds did you send her?

This is MG WAR!!!! I need to know what kinds you don't have! :)

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

LOLOL...getting a litle nervous? lolol./...they are just seeds.lolol....

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

hay. who all is doing this Mother of all Morning Glory thing anyways...and what zones are you in.

(Zone 8a)

Count me in and zone 8... I'll post now that I have lots of mg seeds and will offer the winner of our Mg's WAR a token of all my mg seeds and I have lots of them!

What if I win? :(

Gilmer, TX

mings, I planted MGs in a hanging basket and the only went up the hanger and into the tree, no cascading down. Not many blooms because they didn't get much sunshine under the tree. If you plant on a hanging basket tree in full sun, you'd probably get more blooms. The vines were pretty all twined around the hanger and tree though.

Oh yes, I'm in and live in zone 7.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh Boy... WAR! lol - Actually - I don't have a clue what I sent her now. Some of this & a few of that... I just went through my seeds to see what i had lots of & what I could share. Mings you probably already have some of them ... just trade them if you don't need them.

Ima - BTW... I won the auction I bid on.

(Zone 8a)

A-Okay Poppy... Let me know! (snicker)

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I wonder what would hapen if you grew them in a moss basket????

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

C>C>...okay! You try that ! lol. Are YOU in in this war too???? Come on! Join us...the dirt is dirty! the seeds sprouting! Soon the vines will be swingin! and then. the flowers a poppin!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

CC - I tried some in a moss basket last year and I just couldn't keep it watered well enough. I never have much luck with those moss baskets. The only thing I can seem to grow in them are sedums. I have an old chair with the seat gone. I put a moss basket in the seat and I wanted the glory to climb the back of the chair. Sounded like a good idea ... in theory. Maybe I'll try again with a diaper in the basket!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

What about if you add those moisture crytals to the basket???

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

so, this was the beginning?

(Zone 8a)

Yep...this was it! What happened? LOL

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

they are here ,there and everywhere. in the trees. on my fences. up my house. down the other side. loopty loop around the porch. but still. I didn;t use my secret weapon. I should of. but , I didnt

(Zone 8a)

What secret weapon?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Its a secret!lol If you take 3 guesses and you guess it . I will tell you . hows that?

(Zone 8a)

Water???

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

nope. guess again. but. don;t take so long. Its a 7 letter word

(Zone 8a)

Gosh...I don't know what is happening but this thread took as long as as mg war thread!

Okay...vinegar!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

vinegar! WHAT! Where did you come up with that. Now. thats gonna have to count as a guess! but DANG!!!! I did jsut remember the other day I was gonna do all this stuff with Epsom salts this year and forgot. but. thats not my SECRET WEAPON either. You let me know if you give up. Maybe I can find a photo of my secret and post if. BRB Maybe grab a snicsnak too.

(Zone 8a)

Nana, I think posted vinegar on the mg war thread but I hope she was kidding! LOL didn't try it though!

Hymmmm.... I don't really know tonite but let me think on it awhile...maybe on the morrow! :)

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

question. do the MG WAR photos have to be of this blooming season? Plus, if so, how does one going about the proof that they are this season. just wondering outloud.

(Zone 8a)

There is no proof...All we can go by is honesty! Don't worry! All you will win is my mg seeds collection!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

well, I cant cheat cuz my house is a different color now than then. lolo. just was wondering if I could post my secret weapon in the contest. even though it was from before andI didnt; use it this season. i HAD it bought. its just sitting here. never did it. Too sick in the Spring to do it.

(Zone 8a)

I give up...what is it?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

why is it when l@@king for a photo. one can never find it. But when not , its loafing around the house all the time?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

this is NOT the photo I wanted to show you. but. You get the idea. see, I can;t cheat. my house is a different color. lol.
Can ya tell what I did???? Nope! you can;t see it cuz it blends in. Its a ....a...EW! I forget what its called......Is 2 words. 7 letters.(I like being able to add a photo here)
Look at the porch... OH CRUM! i'll just have to tell you.

Thumbnail by mingsmimi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.