the summer of the morning glory

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I have always had fun with morning glories. but. this year.... I am pulling out all the stops. I am going hog wild. They MIGHT have to arrest me...my mother is card carring ,court certified nuts...so I just might be too.
I am planting morning glories everywhere. This is just the beginning. This is 17 baby pots of Heavenly Blues.I have some Mt.Fuji from a nice soul here at DG....I have some crimson ones that will for sure self seed from last year. I believe I might have some flying saucers in the fridge, and I have a jar of mixed colors from my cousin. Beware of photos you will see in the future.

Thumbnail by mingsmimi
(Zone 8a)

Me too Mings...I have aquired lots of different mg's and have been planting them today. I have a yellow one soaking now to plant tomorrow...

This could be a mg war! :)

Looking forward to seeing your pics and seeing mine grow!

Cheers,
Rebecca

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

YELLOW?? HUMMM not sure if I have ever seen a yellow! They are just such fun. And I really could use some FUn right about now! it seems like some years. you get into one plant more that others. okay! lets do it. Lets see what all we can do! What zone are you/ have you been to ...hang on. let me find this site

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/7150/index.html And you will REALLY get fired up! Takes time to load. WELL WORTH THE WAIT~

This message was edited Saturday, Mar 16th 9:42 PM

(Zone 8a)

I thought I had been to that site before and I checked and I have it on my gardening site. LOL

Check out my site for more Mg's pics at: http://rebeccasgardenweb.hypermart.net Click on Mg's link!

I live in Alabama, zone 8...

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 1:14 PM

Gilmer, TX

Good Morning Ladies, Just happened to this site, don't get here often because vines and climbers is usually so far down the list. Glad I was up early and took the time. I have lots of MGs, some my own, some I traded for this year. I can't wait to get them started. I have 24 named varities and 13 that go by color or mix. I am planting only 12 of each. I have the following extras I would like to share with you. I wanted them to go to homes that really love MGs as I do. First come, first served.
Kniola's Black - 3
Japanese Dwarf Picotee - 3
White - 1
Dark Blue with Purple Center - 5 (my favorite)
Unknown Wild - 2
Mix with Tie-dyed & Mt. Fugi
Mix of Deep Purple, Bright Magenta, & Light Blue - beautiful

By the way, does anyone have any info on the Ipomea obscura?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Catlady~I would LOVE to try your dark blue with the purple centers.....I have some mixed colors I am putting up this week to soak..That would be very nice. I have 2 types of dwarf. The royal ensign..one is the blue/purple with the yellow and white center and the other is the mixed color... but. keep me in mind for the ones I mentioned. I can send you a S.A.S.E. on Wednesday...

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

imaseedpicker~I tried that site. Couldn;t get anything to open cept for Tom's.. :( maybe later it will That other link I had listed. It takes a long time to load, and I knew I was getting the cable, so, I saved it. WOW! What a diff! Those pictures just fly on...I don;t remember how I found that link either. Maybe from DG people/ Too bad there isn;t a email to tell them how nice their site is

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 1:14 PM

(Zone 8a)

Hey Mings...try this one http://server105.hypermart.net/rebeccasgardenweb/mgs.htm and as a matter of fact, I had never heard of yellow mg's (Ipomoea Ochracea)either and bought some from somewhere last year and didn't get them started until about june because my son was invovled in a terrible accident and delayed my planting but they grew and grew and around dec before we got our first frost they started budding and one bloomed and then the frost got them...
I saved some seed for this year just in case of errors...
I sent the guy on the above site some of those and he must have took some pics of them and my one looked just like them...

If I get seed this year, Lord willing all goes well, I will be glad to share with you mg lovers!

Cheers,
Rebecca

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 17th 8:00 PM

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 17th 8:08 PM

(Zone 8a)

Hey Catlady... my friend's site I posted above has pics of the Ipomea obscura, they are yellow also! Check it out!

Cheers,
Rebecca

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

WOnder why I can;t get that site to load? I hit reload...I do everything I can think of and nothing. Oh well. Let me do a search on yellow MG and maybe that will work

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I bought seeds of the Ipomoea ochracea this year from Chiltern's. I haven't planted them yet. It says the seeds should be soaked in water just off the boiling point. Anyone ever grow it?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Just found this http://www.plantadviser.com/azcentral/plants/merraure.htm WOW! YELLOW!

(Zone 8a)

Mings...do you use Netscape? That could be it! Think if I emailed it would work? There are some gorgeous pics of Japanese mg's that are almost 10 inches across!

(Zone 8a)

Mings...that looks like the one I grew but the name is not the same...LOL

(Zone 8a)

Poppysue...That is what I grew last year and I soaked them and soaked them and finally had to nick them hard to get them to swell...

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

And they bloomed in Dec for you? I wonder if I should try to keep it in a pot so it can be brought indoors. Did the vine get huge?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Imaseedpicker~Yeah I use Netscape! please email it to me! I am not getting any notices of this thread being updated wither. HUMMM

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Does anyone know where the yellow mg seed can be purchased? I'd love to try them.

(Zone 8a)

Poppy, I grew it on a trellis of lattice which is 8 ft tall, it climbed to the top and started drooping over and that is where it started to bloom at the droop and I prayed all summer just to see one bloom and that is all I got to see!
It must bloom around the 5 th month which was dec for me! It did ramble some but was not very agressive...this year I am going to pinch someof them back to see what happens because they only bloomed on the end of the vine!
Try this for you and see what happens, exprience is the only teacher in gardening!
Cheers,
Rebecca

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

WOW! I am not getting not one update on this thread. BUMMER.....
I just found my Martha Stewart July August 1998...She has photos of one called Roman Candy, Scarlet Starglory and teenie WEENIE ones called scarletstar

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Brugie I got them from Chiltern's Seeds. If I can get them going maybe I will have a seedling to send you. I'll plant some in peat pots.

My moonflowers last year didn't do anything until the very end of the summer. I think I got about 4 flowers before the last frost. The vine was huge tho. It looked pretty cool even without the flowers.

(Zone 8a)

I am getting slow on this end too and am going to get off till later...I think I will call Aimee, haven't seen her here tonite and she may be waiting for my call!

TTYL

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Poppysue, If you get one going, and it is an extra, let me know and I'll get some postage out to you ASAP.

S.

(Zone 8a)

Brugie...I have a few seeds left I can send you for sase if you would like some!

Let me know!
Rebecca

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Rebecca,
You've got mail.....

Poppysue, I'm going to take Rebecca up on her offer of seeds. Thanks so much anyway.

Shirley

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I just picked up some seeds for Chocolate Morning Glories. It is Ipomoea imperialis 'Chocolate'. I haven't seen these before. The flowers are chocolate colored with white around the edges. Looks really neat. I've never had a lot of luck with MGs, but I just had to try these!

(Zone 8a)

Momcat,
I grew those last year and they were beautiful but didn't bloom as prolific as the others do...maybe my soil!

Check out my link for a close up pic of the rose silk, aka chocolate mg. http://server105.hypermart.net/rebeccasgardenweb/rebeccasmgs.htm

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I love your pictures. Have you tried the MiniBar Rose? I got some of those in a trade, and haven't seen a picture of them, but thought I'd give them a try. I did have some Mt Fuji's last year, but they were started very late, and the frost got them before they could set seeds. I'm trying to start more inside this year.
Debbie

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

momcat~did your Mt.Fuji bloom well? do you haveany photos of them> I got some seeds from a nice person and am anxious to try them...They always look just so perfect in seed catalogues

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

The Mt. Fuji was beautiful. I didn't start the seeds until July last summer so the plants never reached their full potential. I had some with dark pink and some with dark blue flowers rimmed in white. I don't think I got any pictures of them, I will check through my photos, though just to make sure. I'm starting some indoors this year.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Momcat, are you in on the morning glory fun this summer??? Are you gonna put out tons of them?

(Zone 8a)

Momcat, I did receive some mini-blue thru a trade and am going to plant them...I hope these are not the blue dawn mg's because I grew some of those last year and was not inpressed with them! Maybe soil again.:(

Cheers!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

mini~blue might be the royal ensign ones. The dwarf ones. If they are. they 'bush" and are lots of fun.Pretty colors. Wil have to go in search of the blue dawn ones.

(Zone 8a)

Mings...I have some seeds if you want some of the blue dawn...I had heard they flowered 300 a day and boy was I disappointed when only a few a day! Your welcome to some if you want! I may have a pic and will have to find it...

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

imaseedpicker, I just found quite a few picture of them at MONROVIA .com/ OH MY!!!!! they were everywhere. I never saw anyhing in a morning glory tha looked like that! it must need perfect conditions to get that many. You shoudl look at it. OH MY!!!! OKAY< NOW< HELP! WHAT ARE IMPOMOEA PURPUREA CALLED. I CAN ONLY FIND A PHOTO OF THEM THAT WAY AND THEY ARE JSUT SSOOOO PRETTY! WHAT IS THEIR COMMON NAME FOR FOLKS LIKE ME

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Those Ipomoea purpurea are beautiful! I've accumulated a lot of different varieties of MG, and this year I plan on covering the ugly wire fence with them! I do have one question, though. If I grow several varieties, I assume some of them will cross pollinate. Will I end up with odd mixes, or will the seeds collected be the same as the parent plant?

(Zone 8a)

Kniola's black or Star of Yelta... I grew some of those last year too!

Another possibility is Grandpa Otts!

Momcat...I don't know but I have heard they cross pollinate so maybe we will invent some new breeds this year! LOL

This message was edited Wednesday, Mar 20th 9:59 PM

This message was edited Wednesday, Mar 20th 10:03 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.