Hen & Chickens

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Just had to share this photo taken at a local gardeners yard. She has lots of hen & chicks, and they always have this lovely reddish tinge. Judy gardens are always interesting.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Valley Village, CA

Lovely picture, lovely garden, thanks for sharing. Norma

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Really , really neat

Mason, MI

Some of my favorites! :-)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Anyone know what makes some succulents turn reddish or purplish? Is the the weather or the soil or something else?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Pretty~

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

i really do not know the answer to ur question WZ but i will give it a shot from personal observation.

succulents love to bask in the sun. the dryer u keep the plant between watering, the redder or purplish they will stay. but if u constantly water them or keep them in the shade, they will turn green or eventually become a mass of slimy mush. some of them will look all right, but if u pick it up u will see it is slowly dying.

some succulents have thick leaves structure to take in all the water they could, but if overwatered those leaves will crack. the very reason why u do not like to over water.

most of hens & chicks like to stay on the dryer side for them to increase and multiply. the new babies do come along the sides to give it a fuller look.

there are so many varieties and forms of hens and chick in numerous hues and form too. some has the wooly look in them.

if u separate one baby, eventually if not watered too much, will grow bigger and have babies of their own around the mother plant.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, MaVieRose: Guess I need to try some of that tough love I've been talking about. It's hard to get it through my head that some plants don't need to be babied!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

believe it or not, home gardeners tend to kill more plant by over watering than under watering. we fail to take into consideration that most of the plants we care for, are hardly being watered in the wild yet survived on their own. dependent on the evening dew or rain whenever available. some plants develop their own unique way of retaining moisture either by their roots, trunk or body and sometimes thru their leaves.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

We get so much rain here, watering is only an issue on the few hot days we have, and then it's usually the annuals that need attention.

OH Weeze,pretty pic,thanks'' These are my favorites,no fuss just ignore them' You might peek here and get some ideas too' I love this site,here ya go...http://www.cactus-mall.com/

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Sis, great site!

:D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.