Snail eggs?

Newport, OR(Zone 5a)

Lately every time I buy a bag of potting soil, It has what looks like snail eggs in it. I have taken some back to Wal-mart. However, I'm wondering if I'm mistaken and it is the time release fertilizer. I know what snail eggs look like. can anyone tell me what the timed release fertilizer looks like. I've had snail problems before and I certainly don't want them again. Anyone in the know?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Time release fertilizer is usually a creamy colored BB shaped thingy(at a loss for the word), sometimes they are green. Snail eggs are clear and I don't know of any timerelease that's clear. I will take a photo of Osmocote today if you want. It is possible for snails to get inside the bags of potting soil if there is a tiny hole.
I remember when I first bought plants at a nursery that used Osmocote. I thought they were "bug eggs" and picked them all out!!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

.....LOL @ Cala......I have this mental picture of Cala sifting thru the medium, deligently searching out some little varmits......like my cuz standindin in her pool in a driving rain storm bailing water ou because the pump wasn't working and she thought the pool would over flow....

"eyes"

Newport, OR(Zone 5a)

Thanks Calalily, These little "thingies" are clear and pop when you squeeze them. They contain a clear fluid. I wish they didn't feel the need to put fertilizer in most of the potting soils nowadays. It just confuses the issue. Who keeps track of what was potted when? I have Killer snails so maybe they will take care of the problem if one developes. The only thing is, if the Killers aren't kept nurished they go after the seedlings too. Oh woe is me.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Forgetmenot, we tried to get those "killer" snails and Tenn. has a quarantine against any snails entering the state. Someone imported the chartruse ones from the PNW and released them!! They wouldn't let me order the killer ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.